Gerrard, your not worth it. - Chelsea switch targets

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Paul C » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:19 pm

Chelsea: Gerrard, you're just not worth it
EXCLUSIVE by IAN McGARRY, Daily Mail 07:33am 29th April 2005

Chelsea have dramatically dropped their interest in Steven Gerrard after manager Jose Mourinho decided the Liverpool midfielder would not be value for money.

Sportsmail can reveal that Mourinho told Chelsea at a top-level meeting on Tuesday that he had "other priorities" and felt that the £30million fee which had been virtually agreed with Liverpool for Gerrard was too much.

Mourinho commissioned a statistical report on Gerrard's performances over the past three seasons, including appearances, goals, assists, pass completion and possession won.

It was decided that the fee plus wages of around £5.5m a season would be better spent elsewhere.

Chelsea have instead turned their attention to 21-year-old Argentina international Javier Mascherano, who they believe they can secure from River Plate for around £8m.

Mourinho is finalising his spending plans and, having come within 24 hours of securing the Liverpool captain last season, the same deal has now been withdrawn.

That will surprise the domestic football world, where it was thought to be only a matter of time before Gerrard pulled on a blue shirt. A leading Premiership manager recently told reporters that it was "a done deal", while Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry admitted the club would be powerless to prevent the England midfielder walking away from Anfield.

Mascherano matches Mourinho's required profile

Mourinho, too, appeared to give substance to the move when he sought out Gerrard for a special embrace at the end of the Carling Cup Final, a match in which Gerrard's own-goal contributed to Chelsea's 3-2 victory.

Gerrard was also rumoured to have bought a house in Cobham, Surrey, near Chelsea's new training centre.

Unlike Gerrard, though, Mascherano matches Mourinho's required profile of a young, gifted and ambitious player ripe for being moulded in the coach's image. The goalscoring midfielder is considered the hottest property in Argentine football and would command a salary of only £2m a season.

Mourinho believes the bulk of spending must go on a goalscorer and refurbishing the defence. To that end, negotiations are already under way with Inter Milan aimed at signing Brazil striker Adriano for around £25m plus the permanent transfer of Juan Sebastian Veron, who is currently on loan at the Italian club. Chelsea would also be willing to make Hernan Crespo - on loan at AC Milan - part of the deal.

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich flew to Italy yesterday, primarily to watch CSKA Moscow - sponsored by his company Sibneft - take on Parma in the UEFA Cup semi-final, though it is understood he has meetings in Milan today.

Mourinho has made no secret of his desire for a top class left back and will probably have to sign a centre half as William Gallas looks sure to request a move to Barcelona. Rio Ferdinand may yet move from Manchester United to Stamford Bridge to fill that gap while Arsenal's Ashley Cole is a less likely choice given the Premier League charges against Mourinho, the player and Chelsea for 'tapping up'.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:23 pm

Just paper talk I reckon, since when did price ever become an issue for chelsea?

Hope there's some truth in it though
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:28 pm

I know mate, I thought that, probably just so Liverpool don't think 'nice one we'll milk them for Stevie was they want him bad'.

Wouldn't blame them to look elsewhere though cos SG hasn't exactly played out of his skin since Christmas :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:33 pm

Sometimes the truth hurts but you're right, his form has been way short of world class for a while now :(
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:34 pm

More of Jose's mind games, saying Gerrard aint worth the money is really a stir up.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:40 pm

Gerrard needs an attitude transplant. :)
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:43 pm

Stevie G's comments before the Olympiakos game were not befitting that of a Liverpool captain. I'd love him to stay but the idea of him going no longer fills me with dread.

I'm not sure of the above article.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:52 pm

The daily mail is a piece of ****** and is no better than the sun/news of the world, i wouldnt read to much into anything it has to say, though obviously i hope Gerrard stays :p
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:55 pm

it does sound like yet again mourinho is doing everything possible to disrupt the players and the dressing room.

the guy cant sink much lower if u ask me
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:02 pm

See thats why I like him

He even motivates our players before the biggest game of the season  :D

If theres any truth in this what a crazy time to say it.  This game is just destined to have SG scoring the winner

In fact Dawson old bean whats the odds on SG first goal
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:11 pm

Well. We all know he ain't worth £ 30 million. His fair value is probably £ 10 million. I guess a valuation like that only can be explained by. Fair value £ 10 million + he is english 10 million(double price) + chelsea 10 million = 30
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby azriahmad » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:16 pm

If I were Maurinho, why would I want Gerrard? Lampard has improved a lot over the past 2 seasons - he now passes better (more completion) apart from having better shooting abilities, as illuetrated by his goals. Gerrard's advantage over Lampard is his better natural ability to run from box to box.

It is better to find somebody like Alonso, who is more defensive but can pass well as a long term replacement for Makelele.

At this moment, Gerrard looks like he needs some fresh impetus and his drive seems to have waned, like he is losing motivation compared to earlier on in the season.

Like JBG said, I don't really dread if it came to Gerrard leaving but I just wonder if he would fetch £30 million if Chelski do not follow through with their interest.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:19 pm

Real would pay it
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:22 pm

banana wrote:Well. We all know he ain't worth £ 30 million. His fair value is probably £ 10 million. I guess a valuation like that only can be explained by. Fair value £ 10 million + he is english 10 million(double price) + chelsea 10 million = 30

Any commodity, and in modern football all players are commodities, is worth only what somebody is prepared to pay for it. In the case of Gerrard, and not disputing that he has been way off the pace for some time, to say he is worth 10 million is plain daft. If we were to put him on sale tomorrow for 10 million there would probably be in excess of 100 enquiries. Just like Ronaldinho is not worth 12 million, Gerrard is not worth 10.
There does however become a point in the future, probably within two years or so, where a failure to recapture and sustain his best form would lead to reduction in his value. It could be argued that to some extent this has already occurred as any talk of 50 million or anything similar would be wide of the mark at the moment. Clearly though, Gerrard is one of the best midfield players in World football when on his game and I've maintained all along that regardless of what Mourhinho thinks or does not think, Ferguson will break the bank if necessary to land him if he becomes available. He is, after all, exactly the player they need.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:31 pm

banana wrote:Well. We all know he ain't worth £ 30 million. His fair value is probably £ 10 million. I guess a valuation like that only can be explained by. Fair value £ 10 million + he is english 10 million(double price) + chelsea 10 million = 30

Gerrard not worth £10mil! you prove your stupidty and lack of football knowledge each time you post.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion