Gambling on cl qualification

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Anfield rapper » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:27 pm

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry has revealed The Reds gambled by budgeting for UEFA Champions League qualification - even before edging out Maccabi Haifa.

The Reds progressed past Maccabi in Tuesday's third qualifying round tie, but not before a nervy ending to the second leg in Kiev - where a goal from the Israelis would have seen the tie go into extra time.

Parry confirmed that Rafa Benitez's summer spending had been financed on the assumption the club would progress into the tournament's group stage.

Benitez lavished over £20 million on landing notable signings Dirk Kuyt, Craig Bellamy and Jermaine Pennant, but Parry is of the opinion The Reds had to speculate to accumulate.

"It was clearly very important we got through. It's vital to be in the group stages," said Parry.

"There's much relief all round. It's not just about these two games, we earned it through the league last season.

"We seem to make a habit of doing it the hard way in the final qualifier. The last couple of seasons have been slightly nervy, but now we can look forward to the draw.

"We have to budget for getting through to the group stages, otherwise we wouldn't be able to afford to do what we do.

"If you budget for failure, you achieve it, so we budget for success."

Defender Sami Hyypia echoed Parry's relief at securing The Reds' involvement in Europe's premier club competition.

"Getting to the group stages is a relief and we know we are always under pressure and expected to go through to this stage every season," said Hyypia.

"We are happy we have qualified, it is the biggest club competition in the world and we must be in it every year, it is as simple as that."

The giant Finn also had words of praise for Daniel Agger, whom he partnered in central defence in Kiev.

Agger, who was signed by Benitez in last January's transfer window, has been slow to make an impact on Merseyside, but Hyypia sees a bright future ahead for the Dane.

"I think he has a big future in the game and he will be a major player for Liverpool in the Champions League for many seasons ahead," he added.

"He is working hard and learning every day and he can handle the big games, as we have seen these past couple of weeks."

From SSN.

I find this really worrying for a couple of reasons. I just remember what happened to Leeds a couple of years ago and it scares the sh*t out of me that we are doing the same thing. Surley we haven't spent all the money we gained over the last few seasons.  It also worries me that we still haven't found investment to secure the future of the club. I suppose this sort of policy will become the norm if we don't get investment soon and the risk will become greater and greater.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:38 pm

It is worrying and not worth risking the club's financial future but it wasn't as big as Leeds' gamble. Leeds was very different. They spent alot more money and expected to get it back by winning the champions league and the title. They didn't do either and suffered because of it.

I think the sooner we get investment the better but we are not very attractive to investors because there is nothing in it for them. People want to buy the club not invest. Moores does not want to sell he only wants investors.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:48 pm

I said in the "whats wrong with Liverpool " thread

"The continued lack of investment is however developing into a major worry and our lack of cash has certainly impacted on Rafa's efforts to push the team to higher levels . 

Arsenals new stadium looks fantastic and the increased revenue it will provide is going to make them an even bigger force in the premiership. We need to compete just as fiercly off the field as we do on it or face getting left behind . Having said that , I certainly wouldn't want some russian gangster of american cowboy to take us over . I don't know what the anwer is but one certainly needs to be found."

We may indeed be one of the best clubs in England and Europe and the people holding the purse strings have never been shy to back the manager , we are however apparently falling further and further behind the likes of Man U and Arsenal in terms of financial clout , (I won't even bother to include chelsea, money wise they're in a league of their own) .We have to sort out the new stadium to increase our match day revenue and a marketing genius needs to be employed , IMO LFC are not making the most of their profile as one of the Premierships and Europes most succesful clubs ever. Time Parry and Co realised that business wise LFC have to move into the 21st century .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:55 pm

An awkward situation as we laughed at the Glazer fiasco and we chant abuse at Chelsea but we want to have the money but we also like the way Parry and Moores are and the familiarity that is an envy with a lot of fans.

We do need the money but we could also do without having an investor that we do not trust.  Could it be in a few years time we are the envy of everyone for maintaining a family run club.  The grass aint always greener

Or we fall behind and rue our lack of decision making.  In all honesty I love the fact Moores and Parry want an investor who will love the club but how many Kopite billionaires are there.  This is even harder than the who should play in midfield debate :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:01 pm

taff wrote:This is even harder than the who should play in midfield debate :D

:D  Maybe some of those midfielders , and defenders and strikers should invest in the club ?  :D 

Bill Gates offered shares in Microsoft to all his employee's when the company got started , they're all millionaires now , including the cleaning lady .  :D   :nod  true story .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:06 pm

But does Bill Gates sell his staff to rival companies  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 65-1149024436 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:18 pm

I don't see a problem LFC spending money and gambling on getting in the Champions League as it's basically a cert each year.

Yes Maccabi Haifa gave you a good game, but there's a very large gap in quality, and quality wins you games.

LFC are not going to do and never will do a Leeds. Leeds had 2 good seasons and started to budget to get into the Champions League each year, you could see it was never going to happen, but under Bentiez, LFC won't fail to make the Champions League and with a few more high quality players would possibly win the Premiership.
65-1149024436

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:18 pm

Only the french ones Taff . :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby LFCFan4Life » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:37 pm

woof woof ! wrote:I said in the "whats wrong with Liverpool " thread

"The continued lack of investment is however developing into a major worry and our lack of cash has certainly impacted on Rafa's efforts to push the team to higher levels . 

Arsenals new stadium looks fantastic and the increased revenue it will provide is going to make them an even bigger force in the premiership. We need to compete just as fiercly off the field as we do on it or face getting left behind . Having said that , I certainly wouldn't want some russian gangster of american cowboy to take us over . I don't know what the anwer is but one certainly needs to be found."

We may indeed be one of the best clubs in England and Europe and the people holding the purse strings have never been shy to back the manager , we are however apparently falling further and further behind the likes of Man U and Arsenal in terms of financial clout , (I won't even bother to include chelsea, money wise they're in a league of their own) .We have to sort out the new stadium to increase our match day revenue and a marketing genius needs to be employed , IMO LFC are not making the most of their profile as one of the Premierships and Europes most succesful clubs ever. Time Parry and Co realised that business wise LFC have to move into the 21st century .

Arsenal weren't able to fund their new stadium until the last minute, when they decided to sell the name rights of their stadium which helped them at the end.

Let's be honest, London is a much more attractive place to invest money in for a stadium than Liverpool is to most businessmen. Which is why we're having problems finding proper investors imo. Kraft was close to funding the stadium but decided not to. Yes he's a Yank, but he's a Yank who knows how to do business without draining out the soul of a team.
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby taff » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:02 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Only the french ones Taff . :D

Thats alright then I even agree with that  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:56 am

Arsenal, with the highest ticket prices, definitely in England and probably in Europe, will have the same or more ticket sales per match as Manure (provided they get a sell-out every home match). Their stadium was financed by short term loans initially but with the construction now complete, they would be easily able to re-finance with long term bonds.

We have to build this new stadium first and foremost, otherwise we will lose a lot of potential match earnings and yes, we are quite a distance away in monetary terms compared to our main Premiership rivals.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:06 am

I don't see a problem LFC spending money and gambling on getting in the Champions League as it's basically a cert each year.

Yes Maccabi Haifa gave you a good game, but there's a very large gap in quality, and quality wins you games.

LFC are not going to do and never will do a Leeds. Leeds had 2 good seasons and started to budget to get into the Champions League each year, you could see it was never going to happen, but under Bentiez, LFC won't fail to make the Champions League and with a few more high quality players would possibly win the Premiership.

First time I agree with an Evertonian :)  . Budget is about gambling at some extent, every club expect to reach until certain point in every competition, they gamble about the season tickets they expect to sell and all that. We couldn't afford not to sign up players because we might not pass the first round. If you are wrong in the gamble, you have a deficit, that's all.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:31 am

Its
was a sort of gamble because the TV money this season has trebled compared to other seasons, thats what Everton bought their new players with the TV revenue they will recieve this season.
I am more concerned about the city council pushing for this groundshare again.  :no
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 65-1149024436 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:55 am

Ciggy wrote:Its
was a sort of gamble because the TV money this season has trebled compared to other seasons, thats what Everton bought their new players with the TV revenue they will recieve this season.
I am more concerned about the city council pushing for this groundshare again.  :no

True, our 2 buys and a loan signing we're paid for with the increase of tv revenue.

What is it with the council and this groundshare. LFC fans are against it, EFC fans are against it and both clubs are against it. It's a non-starter before it even begins.

The council have offered us 2 sites in Liverpool, one by Speke Retail Park, and the other one cannot be released for commercial reasons.

End of the day, we will be happy with a new ground anywhere, yes even in Kirkby, and LFC fans will be happy once the funding has been sorted out for the ground in Stanley Park.

Say NO to a groundshare!
65-1149024436

Postby gossipsux » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:50 am

probably LFC will qualify easily
gossipsux

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion