Fa balls up - Whats going on?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dawson99 » Fri May 06, 2005 2:52 pm

From BBC Sport:

The Football Association has declined to comment on claims it has changed its Champions League qualification policy.
The FA has ruled that the top four Premiership teams will qualify for next season's competition, even if Liverpool win this year's final and finish fifth.

"""""But last season the FA stated on its website that the fourth-placed team would enter the Uefa Cup if Arsenal or Chelsea won the Champions League."""""""

Everton are currently fourth while the Reds meet AC Milan in the 25 May final.

Reds suffer Champions League blow 

Liverpool fan Darren Brooks told BBC Sport: "As a life-long Liverpool fan and English football fan I am disgusted at the way the FA has decided to change its mind in the matter of qualification into the Champions League.

"I only hope that Liverpool fans and the club will put enough pressure on the FA to reverse this decision should Liverpool FC become five times European Cup winners."

Liverpool reached this season's final after beating Chelsea on Tuesday, but they are three points behind Merseyside rivals Everton while Bolton also have a chance of claiming the final Champions League qualification slot.

Everton are favourites to finish fourth as they have three games left to play with the Reds and Bolton having two to go.

The FA met on Thursday to decide what course of action to take should Liverpool beat AC Milan and finish outside of the qualifying position for European football's showpiece tournament.

And it ruled the top four in the top flight would automatically be assured of a Champions League berth, although they would lobby Uefa to also allow the Reds in if they claim the trophy.
[B][B]
Last edited by dawson99 on Fri May 06, 2005 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri May 06, 2005 2:57 pm

the whole issue stinks but the fact of the matter is, the rules were there at the start of the season and everyone knew them. the whole competition has been de-valued nowadays anyway and it's a sad day when finishing 4th in a domestic league is considered more of an achievement than winning the champions league.

however if we're not in it next season we're not in it. the likelihood is, we'll amass somewhere in the region of £28m from this years run anyway, and top players will still want to come here. :buttrock
Last edited by stmichael on Fri May 06, 2005 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Fri May 06, 2005 2:58 pm

yeah but the rules were there last year even tho they admitted that if gooners or cheatski won it and came 5th theyd get chucked in..

this is looking dirtier and dirtier by the minute
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri May 06, 2005 3:03 pm

dawson99 wrote:yeah but the rules were there last year even tho they admitted that if gooners or cheatski won it and came 5th theyd get chucked in..

this is looking dirtier and dirtier by the minute

not to mention the fact that in 1999, real madrid finished 5th, won the champions league, yet still got nominated to defend it the following year. the double standards are unbelievable.

as said in another thread, if we win it, both us and everton should go through and inter milan should be booted out of the competition, like they should have been anyway. :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri May 06, 2005 3:07 pm

I dont understand what your issue is, I knew years ago that the FA was a gang of spineless suits set on sucking up to whomsoever presents them with the best money spinning chances.

Look at it this way, if (big if, but if) we win the Champions League, we will be round town on the bus with the cup.

Everton will not have a parade round town with a big number 4.

Nor will they get an open top bus round town when they go out to Slovadan Libjiirecliskinski in the qualifiers.

It will also add to our myth if we win the Champions League and are not allowed to defend it. They must obviously be scared we will dominate it again.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri May 06, 2005 3:15 pm

i like that. add to our myth. just the 30 odd million we could amass next season would make a nice difference. like it or not (i dont) money means a lot in football, as does attracting the top players with champs league footy
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri May 06, 2005 3:20 pm

well if the only reason a top player wants to play for Liverpool is because we're a champions league side then I dont want that player at the club. We need players with the club at heart, not money grabbing nancy boys!
:angry:
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri May 06, 2005 3:23 pm

Lee J wrote:well if the only reason a top player wants to play for Liverpool is because we're a champions league side then I dont want that player at the club. We need players with the club at heart, not money grabbing nancy boys!
:angry:

agreed as well

just playing devils advocate here
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri May 06, 2005 3:33 pm

Morientes came here without the guarantee of Champions League football this year, which shows me that sometimes other things are more important.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby xd3vilx » Fri May 06, 2005 3:37 pm

Win The EPL Is More Important... :)
I Rather Win The EPL Than CL...
xd3vilx
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri May 06, 2005 3:52 pm

How hard would it be to just slot us back in at the qualifying stage for the CL next season if we win it this term? Obviously there'd need to be another team put in the comp to play against us, but surely they could just give one of the lesser leagues who aren't normally allocated that many CL places (Switzerland and Belgium for example) a bonus spot? They'd snatch their f*cking hands off for it, I'm sure.

And this whole rubbish about "oh, but the rules were there at the start of the season" is just rubbish. If it was Man U or Real Madrid in this situation, you just know that they'd bend over backwards for them. UEFA and the FA write the rule books that are apparently stopping this situation from being satisfactorily resolved, for god's sake, so why can't they just see sense and get it sorted?

Sometimes bureaucracy like this really is just incredibly stupid. Why do the organisations running football have to make matters like this run and run instead of doing the sensible thing? Yes, it's an exceptional set of circumstances, but surely exceptional circumstances justify an unprecedented course of action?
ivor_the_injun

Postby xd3vilx » Fri May 06, 2005 3:53 pm

FA Sux...If Chelsea Win The CL And Get 5th...I Am Not Sure Whether Everton Will Go To CL...
xd3vilx
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri May 06, 2005 4:44 pm

Yeah if we do win it and arent allowed to compete in it  next year , poor old Nando will be thinking he is CL luck has gone real  bad since the 2000 final
Does seem to be usual ****** up but as others have stated ,  it wouldnt be the end of the world. Add to the myth and concentrate on the League which for me is the main prize. Plus the money we have from this fantastic run and  the self belief and confidence it surely has given our squad
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Fri May 06, 2005 5:02 pm

Next years Champions league will be a bit pointless without the actual champions, wont it ???
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri May 06, 2005 5:17 pm

Hey GreenRed. long time no see on here :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion