A quiet summer? - Whats happening?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby blind » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:56 pm

now thats a plan but it will never happen as clubs like chelski who have not got a youth system will never let it in only us and the mancs will want it even Arsenal would oppose it i suspect. but it is a way forward for the kids
http://www.footballbadgers.com

My eyes are blind but I can see, The snowflakes glisten on the tree(s) The sun no longer sets me free I feel the snowflakes freezing me.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:23 pm

I'm not unduly worried at the moment but all the same our competitors seem to be busy in the transfer market with Arsenal, Man UTD, Chelsea and Newcastle all either bringing in new guys or just about to.

We all agree that the squad needs some tweaking, but I guess Benetiz isn't sitting at home scratching himself. There's probably some activity going on behind closed doors and the club are keeping their silence until the deals are completed.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby azriahmad » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:09 pm

No matter what improvements Benithez can bring about with the current squad, it was quite obvious that the defence is too slow and especially in the CL, this can be easily exploited by quality opposition. Another area is the midfield with a distinct lack of width especially on the right and a creative midfielder would be a welcome addition.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:53 am

stmichael wrote:
blind wrote:yes but we do need some good quaility cover as well as giving the acadamy players a chance.

agreed. however in the future i wouldn't be against the idea of bringing in a rule which says that all premier league clubs must field at least two youngsters who have come through the academy.

good idea St Mick, however I think it may disadvantage the smaller clubs who don't have the money to have a good youth system and if they do bring up a good local player they will be snatched by a bigger club
e.g. Bridge to Chelsea.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ROBtheRED » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:34 pm

I am getting a little concerned regarding the absence of new signings, i think it is imperative that we bring in at least 2 quality signings (definitely a centre-half and ideally a midfielder aswell - perhaps a right winger?), i agree under the new regime we should give youth a chance and maybe fringe squad members may be more suited under the new set up BUT we can't take the gamble on below standard players in such an important season for us.  Two or three new quality signings would surely give the place a lift, make the players fight harder for their shirts and show other clubs we can attract major talent.
We need to avoid the situation last year where we had injured players and not having suitable replacements !
I'm hopeful we can get at least 1 new signing in this week before the USA tour and i hope the behind closed door meetings are happening at the moment.
Last edited by ROBtheRED on Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the kop make you feel great. . .yet humble."   Mr B.Shankly
ROBtheRED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:57 am

It has been odd.

I was expecting some new signings this summer, but apart from Cisse, there's been nothing at all.

I'm not too bothered about unveilings and things like that. They could keep it low key if they wanted to, but I really thought Liverpool would be bringing some new players in, since if the club is serious about making progress in the Champions League, they will need to sign better players.

???   :suspect:
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:02 am

Who doesn't want new quality players? but where's the money?
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:07 am

Its a number of days since I started this thread and there still has been no transfer activity, or at least of players coming in. I think there are only 19 or so days left until the big kick off.

All I can read into this is that Benitez is thoroughly assessing the current playing staff and any decisions on signings will be made and completed around the turn of August.

Also, it could be said that at least Benitez isn't rushing into any panic or impulse signings, something his predecessor was often guilty of.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby azriahmad » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:08 am

"Where's the money?"

Good question, Anfieldadorer. More importantly, this is a key question.

With all the news of the proposed Thai investment and the Morgan counter proposals, there is a sudden hush about the new cash injection into the club. Cisse has been bought for 14 million but the worry is that that is all of the transfer kitty for this close season as the new funds does not seem to be forthcoming. Is this the story of our summer this year?
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:38 am

It could well be.

I remember Houllier claiming back in April that there would be a clear out of some players and that he had £30million to spend on new ones. Rick Parry seemed to confirm this.

However, I have a feeling Parry was fully expecting to attract investment this summer and was so confident in doing so he was prepared to put £30m at the manager's disposal.

I doubt Cisse will be the last arrival this summer, and there will be a small decrease in the wage bill given the departures of Heskey, Cheyrou and Babbel, but not as big a saving as some might think, given that there was an undisclosed "payoff" of Babbel's contract which could cost the club anything up to £1million, and it may be possible that the club may have to contribute towards Cheyrou's wages at Marseille.

I reckon there's probably enough in the "kitty" to make 2 reasonable sized signings in the £5-8m bracket, but most likely those signings will be paid in installments and offset against the expected (but far from guaranteed!) qualification to the group stages of the Champions League.

However, years ago you could buy a player for £2million (a fantastic figure £15 years ago) and not have to worry too much about wages as the maximum wages back then were around £7-10,000 a week.

Nowadays you could sign a player for £6million but have to shell out £40-50,000 a week for any half decent player. Normally a new signing would sign on average a four year contract, so at around £2.2m a year on wages, a £6m signing could cost you at least £14-15million, which nowadays is the real value of the player, rather than the simple transfer fee.

Parry will probably put Benitez in funds for 2 mid sized signings and maybe one or too small signings, but money for further signings will have to be raised by the club selling some of the existing players.

A couple of years ago you could even flog the likes of Diao, Diouff, Biscan etc quiet easily, but nowadays this can be extremely difficult as wages, and not transfer fees, become the major stumbling block.

Look at the market at the moment: Martin Keown, Darren Anderton, Dwight Yorke, Rivaldo and Patrick Kluivert are all struggling to find a club.

As we near the start of the new season and the deadline to sign players for CL eligibility at the end of August, it would appear that the chances of bringing in external investment is dwindling and transfer money for Benitez will have to be raised through a combination of wheeling and dealing as well as raising loans, which is dangerous in the current footballing climate.

Man City have raised funds over the past 48 months by borrowing against future ticket sales (like Leeds) and if they get relegated (which is a possibility) then they could go to the wall very quickly.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby ckay » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:45 am

Please correct me if I'm wrong JBG but I thought that the reports of a £30 million kitty was denied by GH when the news was in the press. The source was supposed to be Parry but this was not confimed.

If I'm wrong please tell me!!!!
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby blind » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:45 am

may be he is waiting for the copa america to finnish as the players he wants may be competeing in it.

no point talking about targets when he does not have to.

he does seem to be the kind of man who lets his actions speak for him and i think we will be ok we will just be cutting it fine time wise as the rest of the squad get together to go on tour and then the season is apon us.

My eyes are blind but I can see, The snowflakes glisten on the tree(s) The sun no longer sets me free I feel the snowflakes freezing me.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby blind » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:49 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:As we near the start of the new season and the deadline to sign players for CL eligibility at the end of August, it would appear that the chances of bringing in external investment is dwindling and transfer money for Benitez will have to be raised through a combination of wheeling and dealing as well as raising loans, which is dangerous in the current footballing climate.

Man City have raised funds over the past 48 months by borrowing against future ticket sales (like Leeds) and if they get relegated (which is a possibility) then they could go to the wall very quickly.

we are not in the graetest financial shape either as last year we showed a loss of £19 million (transfers mainly). that is why the board are so keen to get investment from the thais etc but now the one really good firm offer that was from Morgan was tossed away and now he has all the aces he can call the shots now and that is why parry and Moores have not formally approached him again.  :down:

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:21 pm

For a club like Liverpool a debt of £10million isn't any great problem.... their assets would easily cover this and a run in t he Champions League would erase that debt as well, I'd only begint to worry if the debt got greater than £25-30million. Besides.. as this summer has shown if Liverpool ever did get into financial trouble there are plenty of potential investors out there
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:25 pm

qualifying for the champions league is absolutely massive as it guarantees £10-15m. the qualifying has just started so the third round draw should be taking place soon. ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion