A quiet summer? - Whats happening?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:54 pm

Parry has come on record (interview with the Sunday Times a while ago) that while the club have a debt of £18-19m its "manageable" and isn't a problem.

As for Benitez he is quoted today on Skysports as saying that he will almost certainly will not return to Valencia for players as there is too much bad blood between he and LFC on the one hand and Valencia on the other.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby blind » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:55 pm

yes but that how leeds got them selves in a mess they thought they would always get the chapions league money so when they failed to get in they then went hurtling towards oblivian.

obviously we are not the thick gets from yorkshire so we know what we are doing but we still have to make plans based on the worse cass ie no CL money so then that makes the £10-15 million not as easy to swallow but still manageable . but then add in the new stadium and we then start to look a little shacky. Anfield will make a lot of money for the club when we move and that is where alot of the finances will ultimatly come from as well as the worth of the building itself but the mortgage on that kind of figure will be very high and we must ensure that we still keep the clubs future as secure as possable and then the CL money will be able to be used for player purcases in the future.
http://www.footballbadgers.com

My eyes are blind but I can see, The snowflakes glisten on the tree(s) The sun no longer sets me free I feel the snowflakes freezing me.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:56 pm

I'd love to see some new signings but I'm glad that RB isn't rushing things and giving the squad chance to prove themselves first. We may see some new signings after our trip to the states.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:05 pm

The difference between us and Leeds is that we had (and now certainly have) a much larger income from gate receipts and merchandising.

Leeds borrowed a lot of American money and secured it against future ticket sales. They gambled on spending loads of money on players in the hope it that it would gurantee them CL football every season.

Some of their signings and the wages they paid made absolutely no sense: Seth Johnsen cost around £7.5m and earns around £38g a week. He has scarsely made on impact on the field.

Liverpool are in an ok financial position and £18-19m of "long term" debt is actually not that bad in today's football, but the lesson from Leeds is there and I think from now on you will see far more sensible spending by our club.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby ckay » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:14 pm

There's only Chelsea that are throwing money away. Even Man Yoo ( richest club in the world ) are careful in the transfer market.

The day will come when RA leaves the bridge and takes his money with him. Then we'll see the same sort of decline that Leeds faced. Doug Ellis has got it semi right by only spending money generated by the club and not going into debt.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:40 pm

Well, since I started this thread things have started to happen.

Pre-season is up and running, Barcelona are still after our best players  :D  and we are about to unveil Benitez' first signing, Josemi.

Coloccini could well follow him in the next 10 days and Benitez has confirmed that he is looking hard for more signings.

Meanwhile, Diouff's departure seems immenient, and Anthony Le Tallec while be allowed to leave on loan.

Finally, rumour has it that Michael Owen is about to sign a new contract.

After all the misery of June, at last we have an interesting and positive July!!
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby azriahmad » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:56 am

Duff would be a good buy. The question is, how much and can we afford him?

Why not get him on a season's loan with an option to make it permanent? Sounds sensible until we sort out new cash investment from new investor(s) in the future.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:13 pm

Duff has stated that he wants to make a go at it at Chelsea but I have a feeling he will be rotated with Robben a lot next season and Duff will leave next summer.

Duff is a fantastic player, much better than Robben from what I have seen (Robben looks good at beating people but he looks a bit brainless), but Man UTD would fight us tooth and nail for him should he leave.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion