Diao - 2002-2003 season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:32 pm

there goes that word again POTENTIAL. im so sick of houllier building players up as being the next best thing and them then being flops. that is the difference between houllier and wenger. wenger buys PROVEN quality, not players who may be good 2 or 3 years down the line. le tallec and pongolle may have shown potential in the european under 18 championships but that by no means guarantees that they will be household names in the near future.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:00 pm

The difference between Houllier n Wenger is quite simple Wenger perseveres and waits till an interim period of settling in to a position is well and truly afforded,ie he gives the said player time to adapt in his chosen role ,he does'nt panic when they are struggling and put the poor b******s on the bench or worse still in defence ,players thrive on continuity and confidence ,ie Henry was awful in his first few months as was Pires and last season Ashley Cole had some howlers but did he find himself on the bench ,i applaud monsieur Wenger and thats why everyone of that Arsenal team play their heart out for the manager ,Houllier does not provide an inspirational drive and the players sense that as their disjointed performances have shown thats the underlining difference between the two
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:01 pm

wenger buys PROVEN quality, not players who may be good 2 or 3 years down the line

boll##ks.

Henry, Pires, Vieira, Toure, Lauren to name a few who were all completely unproven.
115-1073096938

Postby Woollyback » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:13 pm

Henry completely unproven?? Now who's talking boll##ks?
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:15 pm

henry wasn't unproven when he went to arsenal, he was just unproven as a striker. pires was top quality in euro 2000 aswell. i remember him dribbling down the left wing to set up the winning goal in the final.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby big al » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:15 pm

Pires is the one that gets me woollyback!  Stu where did pires come from prior to Arsenal?
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby big al » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:29 pm

Ok Stu that was too hard for you! Answer Marseille
he actually had a choice at one point between Madrid and Arsenal.
Unproven you judge
First competive game Metz v Lyon 2/4/93
7 years of football before joining Arsenal in 2000, that included international caps and medals.  Yeah guess in relation to someone like Biscan he is unproven.  Madrid wanted Biscan too.  but they foolishly pulled out of that £7million deal.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby big al » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:31 pm

Sorry Stu I forgot he was'nt on your Premier management game so he must be unproven then! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:08 pm

Big Al i wasn't online so i couldn't answer, i knew were Pires came from because i was gutted we signed Smicer instead.

He's in the same boat as Cisse. looked top class in France... he was no more proven than Cisse. He wasn't proven at the highest level and if i remember rightly everyone said how s##t he was when he first signed. How wrong those people were. All he needed was the time to settle and show his undoubted class.

7 years of football before joining Arsenal in 2000, that included international caps and medals.

Somethin similar applies to Cisse. :)

henry wasn't unproven when he went to arsenal, he was just unproven as a striker. pires was top quality in euro 2000 aswell. i remember him dribbling down the left wing to set up the winning goal in the final.

Henry was a bit part player for Juventus on the left wing. Thats not a proven top class premiership striker now is it. He was another one who took time to settle although nothing like as much as Pires in terms of time took. Henry, Pires and Vieira were not proven players. Vieira was signed for £3.5m from Milan reserves, Pires from the french league and Henry a Juventus reserve winger with half a seasons experience in serie A.
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:22 pm

Lauren was already an established star in Spain when Wenger signed him, hence costing just under 8million.

Pires had been widely touted around Europe before Arsenal signed him, and Juventus passed up an option they had on him.

Stu is half right though, Henry was a world star before he joined Arsenal but he had a disasterous season with Juventus where he was played out of position.

Wenger used to play Henry as a centre forward as a teenager for Monaco, it was later coaches who put him out on the wing.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby BOODIDDY » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:37 pm

Davids would never come to Liverpool. Diao will come good but Cheyrou, Diouf, Murphy, Baros, Biscan and Heskey have to go
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:41 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:.Before you shout me down cast your minds back to the start of the2002-2003 season the first 7 games Diao was a relevation in midfield and Liverpool went several points ahead of Arsenal and the Mancs ,i seem to remember red fans saying he could be our Viera and the game against Arsenal this season he was one of our best players and looked accomplished in the middle ,

Remember Kvarme, we were saying he was the new Alan Hansen when he first signed, and you all remember Cadamatri dancin round him to score later inm the season
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:58 pm

Prescisely what medication are you currently taking Leonmc what connection can a player who was given a regular slot in his chosen position ie defender possibly have with a manager who wont play a player in his best position ie Diao ,my topic of debate was Diao needs a regular run out in midfield until he makes the position his own ie the time to adapt ,and to carry on your reposte Kvarme was given the required amount of time to settle in and he was found sadly wanting Dont ever be a proof reader ,ie someone who studies a paragraphs format
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:02 am

Chill BEERGOGGLES the lad is ***** E, not good enough for Liverpool Reserves, have you watched him play at all. We are all in this together, through the wind and rain. If you wanna have a go, see CHEESECAKERY.....
Nuff said
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:20 am

Who the F**k is cheesecakery do you honestly think id waste my time reading that ,and its patently obvious you were'nt present in the kop in 2002-3 season when we sung DIAOS praises every person in that crowd knew he had the makings of a solid midfielder ,except you obviously ,maybe and this is just a guess you were'nt there , im right are'nt i you were'nt there ,them momentus 7 games when the we could sing TOP TOP TOP OF THE LEAGUE you missed that PEASANT
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion