David silva - valencia left winger - Seems more than a rumour

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Tue May 08, 2007 10:23 am

I read often LFC related things in the Spanish tabloids, but I'm not ársed to post them here in order not to waste your time with baseless rumours.

However, this seems more than a rumour, because it's been published in serious newspaper (Correo group) that do not spread rumours but facts.

Silva

on the left, would be IMHO a very good signing for LFC. He's currently a Spanish international, he was brought as a hopeful substitution for Vicente, another good left winger, and he has removed Vicente his place, at least so far, in the Spanish Squad.

Silva has played also in Celta de Vigo, and Eibar.

Eibar is a feeder club of Real Sociedad, but he reached there on loan so we could not grab him. The fact that he was succesful in the Spanish Segunda Division, is very important. As it struck me a lot that such a tiny player, wasn't bullied by the physical Segunda division. In this division, tough matches are seen, tough tackles, and no Valdanesque football at all. But Silva was succesful there, as was Xabi Alonso in it's day, despite his small height.

Skillful and good crossing, he responds to the profile of the typical left winger.

The article, which is concise, only says that both Liverpool and Real Madrid are fighting for him.

I'm optimistic due to several reasons:

* Valencia has 2 excellent left wingers, Vicente and Silva, and will be tempted to sell one of them

* Every player in Spain knows that Liverpool Football Club is more serious club than Real Madrid, Xabi was the first one

* He'd have the support of the Spanish mates

* I truly think that right now we can outbid Real Madrid.

I'll be aware of this one, because it would be a great signing IMHO. Dunno if Stu rates him  :D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby club_Levis » Tue May 08, 2007 11:51 am

He is an awesome player as we all saw what he did at the bridge.Would be delighted to have him.
club_Levis

Postby Bad Bob » Tue May 08, 2007 12:14 pm

Sabre, how would he compare to Mark Gonzales when Gonzales was in Spain?  I suspect that there will be more than a few supporters who have been disappointed with Mark and will not be impressed with another left winger coming from La Liga.  Is Silva significantly better than Gonzales was during his time at Sociedad?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Tue May 08, 2007 12:22 pm

As you know Bad Bob, I'm Image when it comes to defend Gonzalez in this forum :D

They're different. Mark Gonzalez started his career as a LB (and it's untrue what Stu says about his tackling), then he was a full back, and only in Spain he converted to a left winger.

I don't know whether this is due to him not having the stamina required to go up and down in the high tempo leagues, since I haven't seen him tested in that position in Europe.

Gonzalez is fast, and he achieved the interest of Sevilla, and Atletico de Madrid and Rafa for a reason. He reaches well the box when his team mates are counter attacking. He knows finishing fairly well, and he has a decent header.

None of this have been seen in England as of yet, or very little of this, but although I'm Image on this, I believe we might start seeing something next season if Rafa keeps him.

Silva is more skillful, he has a better dribling than Gonzalez and his crosses are much better. He hasn't a hammer in his left foot as Gonzalez has though, meaning his range shots are not that powerful (Gonzalez scored 4 goals in free kicks last season due to his shoot power, but in Liverpool there are other players in the hierarchy of free kicks).

So I think that yes, most fans will like Silva more than Gonzalez because quite simply he's nicer to watch. More skill. But I rate Gonzalez, again.  :)

Disclaimer: Anyway, I do think Silva is a better player
Last edited by Sabre on Tue May 08, 2007 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue May 08, 2007 12:29 pm

Sabre wrote:Disclaimer: Anyway, I do think Silva is a better player

Okay, mate, but which of the following is he?

1) World Class
2) International Class
3) Club Class
4) Executive Class
5) Coach Class
6) Steerage

:D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Tue May 08, 2007 12:31 pm

In all seriousness, he sounds like someone with great potential for us.  Why, in your opinion, would Valencia unload him rather than Vicente, given that it sounds like he's replaced Vicente at club and international level?  And, if they were more prepared to part with Vicente, how suited do you think he'd be for us? ???
Last edited by Bad Bob on Tue May 08, 2007 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Tue May 08, 2007 12:31 pm

If World Class means the best player of his position, I doubt he is.

So I'd pick 2) International class.

Why, in your opinion, would Valencia unload him rather than Vicente, given that it sounds like he's replaced Vicente at club and international level?

That's a good question I don't have the answer for, sorry. Vicente is a player only slightly different, with less flair maybe, perhaps better control, and right now (let me think) the best crosser of the liga.

I'll research about that in the Valencia forums

And, if they were more prepared to part with Vicente, how suited do you think he'd be for us? 

I don't believe in the "Suits the english game" bóllocks. Good players are good players. It may happen that one player fails in a club (Mascherano) but a good player might suit well everywhere if it comes from a top league.

Perhaps this will be a bit harsh, but Kewell would never get a place in the Spanish Squad as a left winger. Those players are better than what we already have (IMHO) in that position.

And that's the kind of signing up we should do (IMHO).
Last edited by Sabre on Tue May 08, 2007 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue May 08, 2007 12:50 pm

Bad Bob wrote:In all seriousness, he sounds like someone with great potential for us.  Why, in your opinion, would Valencia unload him rather than Vicente, given that it sounds like he's replaced Vicente at club and international level?  And, if they were more prepared to part with Vicente, how suited do you think he'd be for us? ???

It would extremley handy if Valencia tailed off at the end of the season and missed out on fourth spot, that would mean no champions league football, less money coming in, and that we could put in cheeky bids for Silva and Villa  :)

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue May 08, 2007 12:53 pm

Sabes just out of interest, if Gonzales was touted around the Spanish clubs would there be any interest?
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Tue May 08, 2007 1:05 pm

from what i've seen of silva (which is not a lot), his played as a supporting striker with a free role.
and when he has played as a "left winger", he tended to drift into the centre anyway.
not doubting his quality, but it seems to me like his a version of our little luis. correct me if i'm wrong.
Last edited by El Nino_#9 on Tue May 08, 2007 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue May 08, 2007 1:13 pm

bigmick wrote:Sabes just out of interest, if Gonzales was touted around the Spanish clubs would there be any interest?

Yes, definitely. My doubt is where. In Valencia or Barcelona no place, but teams like Sevilla or Atletico de Madrid who already showed interest on him would be definitely interested.

No doubt we'll get more money for him than the one we paid t Albacete. The hype about him was not only on local press but national press, he did excellent matches in Spain.

So yes bigmick, don't worry, we'll have clubs interested.  :p

from what i've seen of silva (which is not a lot), his played as a supporting striker with a free role.
and when he has played as a "left winger", he tended to drift into the centre anyway.

Well spotted, that's another difference with Vicente, Silva is more ... "mobile"? (I'm not sure what word you use)
Last edited by Sabre on Tue May 08, 2007 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue May 08, 2007 1:16 pm

All that said mate, though I think the bloke is bordering on absolutely fecking useless I listen when people who know the game say they rate him so on your say so I'm willing to give him a chance. If he's sh!t again next season though, he can go and you can feck off as well :D :D
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue May 08, 2007 1:19 pm

bigmick wrote:All that said mate, though I think the bloke is bordering on absolutely fecking useless I listen when people who know the game say they rate him so on your say so I'm willing to give him a chance. If he's sh!t again next season though, he can go and you can feck off as well :D :D

I have good memory Bigmick.

I cannot be ársed to look it but I remember at the start of the season when everybody was waiting for Gonzalez being great, you chilled down people "It's difficult he'll be valuable this first season" as in it's a player to have patience with and don't fall into the hype (BTW I was wrong when I answered back to you that he'd be an impact this first season)

It's a pity he's been that useless in your view that you have changed your mind !  :D But you've raised all your life as a supporter of a big club. And we all know that in big clubs there's less time and patience.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue May 08, 2007 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue May 08, 2007 1:27 pm

I was disappointed in him sabes to be honest. Even though it takes time for a player to settle, there is usually a flash here and there, a fleeting glimpse of quality which keeps up the belief but in the case of Gonzales he showed precious little to be truthful. Even the much vaunted searing pace seems to have been a little over hyped and while I'd love to see him come good and fully respect the views of those liek yourself who've seen much more of him than me, I'd be surprised if he comes out next season and makes the grade at Liverpool.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue May 08, 2007 1:54 pm

bigmick wrote:I was disappointed in him sabes to be honest. Even though it takes time for a player to settle, there is usually a flash here and there, a fleeting glimpse of quality which keeps up the belief but in the case of Gonzales he showed precious little to be truthful. Even the much vaunted searing pace seems to have been a little over hyped and while I'd love to see him come good and fully respect the views of those liek yourself who've seen much more of him than me, I'd be surprised if he comes out next season and makes the grade at Liverpool.

Sorry to quote you mick when the question is to Sabre, its just that i am adding to what you were stating.

Sabre you respect Aldo due to his connections with your hometown club, what do you think about his opinions on Mark ?

Aldo has for months been criticising him massively on Radio city, our local station.
He said the other week that when he was trying to get back it looked like he had a parachute on his back.
Then against Fulham he was saying he was having one of the worst games aldo has EVER seen in an LFC shirt, and that he needs to go because it was clear he will never cut it.

Your thoughts mate.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion