David silva - valencia left winger - Seems more than a rumour

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby grayghost » Tue May 08, 2007 3:24 pm

No thanks we already have a player simalar to him in Luis Garcia. Even though I would not like it to happen i can see Rafa going for a a player like Deco.
grayghost

Postby Elchris » Tue May 08, 2007 3:33 pm

Wow , i would be really suprised if he ended up here... Great talent , young and skillful

Imagine how good is he if he could overtake vicente ... can be a very very good signing...i hope itz true...!!!!!
Elchris

Postby Sabre » Tue May 08, 2007 3:39 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
bigmick wrote:I was disappointed in him sabes to be honest. Even though it takes time for a player to settle, there is usually a flash here and there, a fleeting glimpse of quality which keeps up the belief but in the case of Gonzales he showed precious little to be truthful. Even the much vaunted searing pace seems to have been a little over hyped and while I'd love to see him come good and fully respect the views of those liek yourself who've seen much more of him than me, I'd be surprised if he comes out next season and makes the grade at Liverpool.

Sorry to quote you mick when the question is to Sabre, its just that i am adding to what you were stating.

Sabre you respect Aldo due to his connections with your hometown club, what do you think about his opinions on Mark ?

Aldo has for months been criticising him massively on Radio city, our local station.
He said the other week that when he was trying to get back it looked like he had a parachute on his back.
Then against Fulham he was saying he was having one of the worst games aldo has EVER seen in an LFC shirt, and that he needs to go because it was clear he will never cut it.

Your thoughts mate.

Aldo is a legend for me. He's Sir John William Aldridge, he made my 13 years old knees weak when I talked to him back then, and he's the reason I'm a LFC fan.

Meaning, my admiration to him will be greater than the one I have  to say, Alonso or Rafa.

Of course since he left I was aware of where he went and was frustrated that he went to Tranmere Rovers, IMHO he should have gone to a better club, provided he was one of the 3 top strikers in goals amount the 2 seasons he stayed in la Liga.

All that introduction for what? to say that despite all the admiration I have, I don't understand some of the criticism he spouts about LFC, Rafa, and some players sometimes.

The parachute comment I read it here a while back. As all Aldo related things, I try to search Aldo, and was aware he speaks for radio city. But when I visit radio city website, the online version won't give me the matches, only music, so I can't listen to his comments, unless some of you echoes them here.  :( (If anybody knows how to  help me on this, please tell me so).

It astonishes me aswell to see other ex-reds like TOshack, who writes for my local newspaper being too harsh with the team and some players, despite Toshack has written of Gonzalez that he seems to be promising.

I can't understand Aldo saying that about gonzo or the Fulham game, when each of the RS games he played for except the UEFA ones, were far worse than the Fulham one. I cannot understand Aldo saying that about Gonzalez, when he yelled back then to sign up Andy Townsend for Real Sociedad as the service he was provided was too cráp.

I honestly think both comments of my hero are OTT. I guess he's paid for saying things and when you're paid you cannot be a happy clappy lad like me when it comes to assessing the game. I do think aswell that the stick he delivers sometimes, doesn't help, because he influentiates more than he thinks.

I simply disagree his assesment, but he'll be my legend for always.

P.S. I admit Gonzalez has been poor this season, although I'll never say things like he has a parachute to go back. He has been massively unnacurate in his passes, extremely nervous in his decissions, and for me, obviously intimidated for playing a great shirt. I also think he has been better now that in the beginning, and that wingers are like strikers in the sense that depend a lot of the service they're given.

It's not a surprise to me for instance Pennant is better when the team is better, and Pennan was criticised when the team was criticised at the start of the season. Give Gonzalez some matches with the regular team, not the "B" team with everyone un-gelled together.  :nod
Last edited by Sabre on Tue May 08, 2007 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jeffiroquai » Tue May 08, 2007 4:59 pm

Sabes, I too am holding out for Gonzo to perform.  Those who say he has lacked signs of flair have a short memory.  That goal he scored against the Israelis in the qualifiers was absolutely vital for us to be in the position we are today.  Hopefully the lad will settle more in training, and we will have a combination of Harry/Gonzo to use next season.

As far as Pennant, the comparisons cannot truely be made.  The lad grew up in England, so no settling was required.  He was shocking early on this year, but he continued to get a run out on the pitch.  This allowed his confidence to grow, as the team improved through out the season.  Rafa has not shown the same trust in Gonzo as he has JP.  He does not put him out there in important situations, ever.   See Bolo in the semis as an example.

Back to the thread topic!  It is nearly impossible to watch the spanish game here in the states.  It is not on TV anywere.  I have seen both Silva and Vicente in the Champions League, but that is it.  That being said, I would prefer to groom Gonzo, and pray Kewell stays fit, so we can focus our transfer money on our two serious needs.  Left back and a target man.
'Obviously Rafa is notorious for chopping and changing but he is chopping and changing with cream and caviar.'-Steve Coppell
jeffiroquai
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue May 08, 2007 5:13 pm

jeffiroquai wrote:Sabes, I too am holding out for Gonzo to perform.  Those who say he has lacked signs of flair have a short memory.  That goal he scored against the Israelis in the qualifiers was absolutely vital for us to be in the position we are today.  Hopefully the lad will settle more in training, and we will have a combination of Harry/Gonzo to use next season.

As far as Pennant, the comparisons cannot truely be made.  The lad grew up in England, so no settling was required.  He was shocking early on this year, but he continued to get a run out on the pitch.  This allowed his confidence to grow, as the team improved through out the season.  Rafa has not shown the same trust in Gonzo as he has JP.  He does not put him out there in important situations, ever.   See Bolo in the semis as an example.

Back to the thread topic!  It is nearly impossible to watch the spanish game here in the states.  It is not on TV anywere.  I have seen both Silva and Vicente in the Champions League, but that is it.  That being said, I would prefer to groom Gonzo, and pray Kewell stays fit, so we can focus our transfer money on our two serious needs.  Left back and a target man.

Sorry, mate, but I can't agree with what you've said here.  I'll keep my Gonzales comments to a minimum but I would suggest that Pennant's been given more of a run than Gonzales by Rafa because Rafa has more faith in Pennant as a player.  Put another way, this is the gaffer's way of saying that, at the moment, Pennant is fit to wear the shirt whereas Gonzales is not (at least not in games that matter).  Based on their comparative form over the whole season, I find very little wrong with that assessment.

As for not needing a LM as much as a LB, I would suggest that, in Riise and Aurelio (with Arbeloa as back-up), we have good skill and depth at LB.  Whereas, in Kewell and Gonzales, we have a player who's rarely fit and a player that has not yet shown that he is remotely suitable for a team challenging for major honours.  So, I ask you, which position requires more attention this transfer window?  ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Tue May 08, 2007 5:25 pm

:sniffle I cannot believe I'm not alone about Gonzalez, thank you Jeffiroquei that really touched my heart  :laugh:  :;):

(Editted a comment, I didn't understand you were talking about Pennant in a later paragraph, sorry)
Last edited by Sabre on Tue May 08, 2007 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue May 08, 2007 5:33 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
jeffiroquai wrote:Sabes, I too am holding out for Gonzo to perform.  Those who say he has lacked signs of flair have a short memory.  That goal he scored against the Israelis in the qualifiers was absolutely vital for us to be in the position we are today.  Hopefully the lad will settle more in training, and we will have a combination of Harry/Gonzo to use next season.

Sorry, mate, but I can't agree with what you've said here.  I'll keep my Gonzales comments to a minimum but I would suggest that Pennant's been given more of a run than Gonzales by Rafa because Rafa has more faith in Pennant as a player.  Put another way, this is the gaffer's way of saying that, at the moment, Pennant is fit to wear the shirt whereas Gonzales is not (at least not in games that matter).  Based on their comparative form over the whole season, I find very little wrong with that assessment.

As for not needing a LM as much as a LB, I would suggest that, in Riise and Aurelio (with Arbeloa as back-up), we have good skill and depth at LB.  Whereas, in Kewell and Gonzales, we have a player who's rarely fit and a player that has not yet shown that he is remotely suitable for a team challenging for major honours.  So, I ask you, which position requires more attention this transfer window?  ???

My irrelevant comment to Jeffiroquei, left this post that continued the debate in the last page, I'll forward it to this one so the footie debate continues.  :)
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jeffiroquai » Tue May 08, 2007 5:35 pm

Bad Bob wrote:

Bob, I don't think that I articulated my point about Pennant well enough.  From your comments, I believe we are in agreement as to Pennants place in the team versus Gonzo's.

I love argueing the same side w/ someone.  It's like talking to my wife! :D

As far as the LB v. LM arguement, I think many on the board would agree w/ me that Riise is better suited in the midfield rather than the back line.  Aurellio has had a bad injury, and will need a lot of time to come back.

I still think that we should get a class LB and stick with what we have in the midfield.

Just my opinion.  If we all agreed on this board, then Lando would not have anyone to slag off......... :nod
'Obviously Rafa is notorious for chopping and changing but he is chopping and changing with cream and caviar.'-Steve Coppell
jeffiroquai
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jeffiroquai » Tue May 08, 2007 5:38 pm

Sabre wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

My irrelevant comment to Jeffiroquei, left this post that continued the debate in the last page, I'll forward it to this one so the footie debate continues.  :)

Sabes, what am I missing? ?????

I think we agree on Gonzo, but now you and Bob have me confused.  Are we talking the same thing?
jeffiroquai
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue May 08, 2007 5:43 pm

i watch a little bit of spanish footy on sky and from what i`ve seen of the lad, whilst he`s obviously skillfull, he does look to go to ground at any opportunity.
i dont think he`s robust enough for the prem.
i`ve not been convinced by gonzales either but some players take longer to settle in than others.
i`d be a bit deflated if we raided spain in the off season and never came back with a player with the profile of a villa, alves, eto or torres.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Tue May 08, 2007 5:48 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:i watch a little bit of spanish footy on sky and from what i`ve seen of the lad, whilst he`s obviously skillfull, he does look to go to ground at any opportunity.
i dont think he`s robust enough for the prem.
i`ve not been convinced by gonzales either but some players take longer to settle in than others.
i`d be a bit deflated if we raided spain in the off season and never came back with a player with the profile of a villa, alves, eto or torres.

The fact that some players dive in Spain also has to do with it works for some teams in our liga. He was excellent in the dive-less segunda division

But I wanted to ask, granted, for the right side Alves is great, and Villa is great.

But for the left wing, who would you suggest?

Sabes, what am I missing???

I think we agree on Gonzo, but now you and Bob have me confused.  Are we talking the same thing?

Sorry, my english is cráp. I meant that I wrote  a post only to say that I was surprised I'm not the only one to believe in Gonzo. But I deemed my OWN comment as irrelevant, and another question was left in the previous page, so I copied and pasted it.

Meaning, it was all my fault, nothing wrong with you!
Last edited by Sabre on Tue May 08, 2007 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Tue May 08, 2007 5:51 pm

Sabe - do you think, given recent history with players from la liga and the premiership that Villa could be successful here ?
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue May 08, 2007 5:52 pm

zarababe wrote:Sabe - do you think, given recent history with players from la liga and the premiership that Villa could be successful here ?

He'd be as succesful as Alonso, IMHO.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue May 08, 2007 5:57 pm

Not meaning to turn this into a Mark Gonzalez debate as its supposed to be about Silva, someone i have not seen enough of, but whenever i have seen him he has impressed.
I recall him giving Gary Neville a very difficult evening in the last England Spain friendly.
Anyway Sabre regarding your comments on Aldo, the first part about him going to Tranmere was probably to get back to a club near his routes, he is a true scouser and with Tranmere being 5 minutes away from Liverpool it probably helped him make his decision.
One things for certain as well, he nearly got them to the Premiership, and had the best strike rate out of any player in any english league in the time he was there.
His comments are not on websites mate cos its commentary in our games, he is the co-commentator in all liverpool games on radio city not someone just having a pop like Toshack, and to be fair to Aldo he is very complimentary about Rafa and how we have progressed under him.
He is just making a judgement on one player, a player that based on what he/and we so far clearly looks out of his depth.
I listened to the full game on Saturday and Aldo was trying his best to bite his tongue when speaking about Mark, saying at one point that he took a throw in and threw it directly to a Fulham player.
He then said players short on confidence can have games like that and that Rafa should take him off at half time and give Harry a go, something that seemed pretty obvious.
I cant see a major transformation in Mark's footballing skills happening and feel if we want to stretch teams we need players out wide who can play first time football, pass and move quickly, Silva (in the games i have watched him) appears to be in a different league altogether to Gonzalez, and if Athletico or somone wants to pay what we paid, i'd sell him in an instant.

Apologies for the gonzo rant, back to discussing Silva  :)

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue May 08, 2007 6:00 pm

Thanks for the insight Ace, remember to echo Aldo's opinions sometimes, as I cannot listen to radio city  :( :(
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion