Cometh the hour cometh the man - Step forward mr gerrard

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Sun May 01, 2005 7:00 pm

The news from the dental surgery on the eve of the Semi Final First Leg might have gone some way to explaining why I thought Stevie looked so down in the mouth during the game at Stamford Bridge the other night. I am led to believe that he had an abscess removed which must have taken it's toll. Certainly, as I watched a struggling Gerrard growing increasingly less influential throughout the game, I was left scratching my head wondering why. Despite one superb cross to Baros, he frequently lost possession, was passing poorly and seemed to be drifting around aimlessly from one position to the other. He was a far cry from what he is capable of.

Infact at one point, I almost thought it might be a deliberate ploy to show Chelsea that their £30m would be better spent elsewhere. :D

On saturday against Middlesbrough however, Gerrard had one of his better games for a while (the goal was world class), despite essentially being outshone by Xabi Alonso again. However the signs were there that he was getting some form back which will help to compensate for Alonso missing the game on Tuesday. Because make no mistake about it, a fully fit Gerrard at the top of his game may well be the difference between us reaching our first European Cup Final for twenty years or merely becoming just another side that ducked out in the last four.

To me, this game marks a watershed in our captain's career. I even heard recently that should we go through, Gerrard could well sign a new contract with us before the final in Istanbul. If this is so, then it would appear as if Stevie cannot lose on Tuesday night. If we win he stays. If we lose then all the talk of him moving to the Bridge would be very much back on again.

I think it's a very tricky situation for him. Ask him what would be his ultimate dream and he would tell you that it would be to skipper his hometown club to the final of the greatest club tournament in the world. Having done that, how could he even consider leaving? Whatever way it goes, our fans will demand a huge performance on Tuesday. In my opinion he owes us fans and also owes Alonso one aswell.

For when Stevie missed the game in Turin through injury, a lot of people expected Juventus to stroll to the 1-0 victory they needed to progress.  But cometh the hour, cometh the man, in the form of Alonso, who despite not having started a first team game for nearly four months, produced a match winning display in midfield. After his wrongful booking in the first leg, it is now Gerrard's turn to step into Xabi's boots and produce a huge performance.

We will also of course, be boosted by the inevitable return of Didi Hamann. He will be vital to our game plan, especially if Gerrard plays just behind Milan again as expected. Some have suggested that Dijbril Cisse should be thrown on from the start in a 4-4-2 formation but I just don't see this happening, as much as I would love to see it. Attack has to be the best form of defence, as proven in the first half against Juve. Get the crowd going and we really have a great chance. I guarantee you that the Chelsea players will NEVER have played in an atmosphere like they will experience on Tuesday night.

As for Chelsea, despite winning the title, I have seen signs recently against both us and Arsenal, that they are beginning to run on empty. The last thing they needed was a trip to the Reebok 72 hours before this game.

The players have all been heroes so far. Lets not let it slip now.

YNWA
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun May 01, 2005 7:11 pm

Good post.

He does definately owe us a big game.

I think if his mindset is correct, we've got the match won. If not, he'll leave.

With Alonso missing he NEEDS a big game, the pressure's definately on him, he has the ability to perform, lets hope the mentallity returns aswell.

Come on Stevie, help us through this mate and all will be forgiven, whatever path you go down in the future.
115-1073096938

Postby The_Rock » Mon May 02, 2005 6:38 am

Stevie G sub-par performance lately can also be linked with hamann's injury....

I think hamann will have the same effect as alonso had during the 2nd league juventus game.

Don't ask me why, I keep thinking Baros, Garica & Gerrard will be among the goals  :D
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Hotrod » Mon May 02, 2005 2:40 pm

Since Alonso came back it seems Gerrard has not been the same beacuse maybe the team don't depend on him as much as they used to he even admited after the chelsea game alonso makes us play. Gerrard is a mgnificent player but as rafa said would not have the same status if he goes to chelsea and he would proberly play were gudjohnson or tiago plays if were to go and with those two preforming as they did thi s season it would seem he would not play as much he does for us almost the same story as owen at madrid. Speakin of madrid they are the only club other than chelsea who can afford him but i don t think he is stupid enough to go there beacuse we are doin so much better. Also with hamman and maybe biscan gerrard has the liance to do go around the pitch and help with the attacks very much like lampard does and i can see stevie gettin a goal i think the key player on tuesday will be milan or cisse if he starts who ever plays will have to hold the ball up and play inother players as support if our striker cna do that the game is ours
"GUYVER"
Hotrod

Postby stmichael » Tue May 03, 2005 11:27 am

The_Rock wrote:Don't ask me why, I keep thinking Baros, Garica & Gerrard will be among the goals  :D

i'd take that :buttrock
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Big Niall » Tue May 03, 2005 1:35 pm

Stevie G has had a poor season and definately owes us big time, I think all the complaining and childish demands he made threw his game off - this is the CAPTAIN who said we cannot win the tournament.

If Alonso was playing I'd be much happier as HE is the heart/brains of our midfield.

I still have a gut feeling that we'll win.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue May 03, 2005 2:09 pm

Very true little Naill...

But Gerrard has the ability to force games more so than Alonso. We need a bit of both...

May the force be with you  :buttrock
115-1073096938

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion