Burn out - Rafa or gerrard

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redmikey » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:45 am

Who point of view did you go with?

I thought for the england freindly that steve gerrard could have rested his ankle and watch another piontless friendly tick by,

I am english through and through but i don't want to see our captian run him self into the ground in an attempt to play a whole season to prove a point to himself.

Rafa came out and said that he would like him to rest, but stevie wanted to play at anfield and feels right as reign obviously.

I think that he could look back at a game like that and say maybe i should have rested up there . he had nothing to prove and his seat has already been sorted on the plane to germany.

at the end of the day rafa was being selfish and thinking about club first, fatty frank pulled up with an injury(chelski wouldn't think twice about telling one of there player to take a break) i would have liked SG to put LFC first until the summer we can ill afford to lose him in one of the biggest run ins we have had for years !

i'm with rafa on this one
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:49 am

i dont agree with the term burn out. playing football is not the same as working down.. well a mine or something. Football is nto a real hard job. Plus when you are winning you just cant wait for the next game. These players are in the peak condition and they have ample time to rest. you cant earn 100k+ a season and moan if you think u r getting alil tired... if u ask me
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:49 am

If Gerrard is fit he'll go to Germany.......christ, barring a broken leg or something Sven will bring him.

As such there is no need for him to play in friendlies.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:02 am

As far as I am concerned no player should earn 100 thousand pound a week I dont care who they are.
And for that sort of money you should not get tired, my only worry for Gerrard Carra and Crouch playing for England was injury.
But you cannot deny a player wanting to play for his country either, the only thing I dislike about the England camp is they try to tap up our best players.
What is  Diabolical is the nearly 300 million pounds worth of players in the England team :no And they could'nt even break the deadlock until the freak of nature they all mocked at came on our Big P.
Rooney 30, Terry 30, Gerrard 30, Lampard 30, ferdinand 30, Owen 16, SWP 21, Ledley King 15, Beckham 30 million plus the rest of them.
I still dont think we will win the world cup even if we have the most expensive team in the world.
Last edited by Ciggy on Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:04 am

i agree dawson but would you have liked to see him rest up for charton and benfica?

i think rafa might rest him to show him that he is the boss. we have to remember that stevie has been niggled with injuries when it comes to big england tournements and really wants this one, you could tell in the interview after the man city game.

the term burn out was from the papers and i should know better than to use their quotes. sorry

but no top sports man can stay at 100% for 12 months which is how long gerrards season will be including the world cup. he should know when to take a break imo
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby redmikey » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:08 am

ciggy i would give 30 p for ferdinand after that performance, carra for the middle with terry . we nearly had that partnership at the back before the russian ganster turned up and bailed them out of the sh'it

terry and carra at the back would be nice :p
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:12 am

redmikey wrote:ciggy i would give 30 p for ferdinand after that performance,

Me neither mate, but dont you know he said I am great, I am the best, I am worth 30 million give it to me or I walk and they did :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:15 am

Realistically, it is difficult to envisage England winning the world cup, even though England is now equipped with arguably the best collection of players they it has ever had. Not with a coach like Ericksson.

If the coach were Jose Mourinho or Rafa Benitez or Gus Hiddink or Scholari, England has a better chance because these guys are tactically much more adept than the lost Sven.

Gerrard somehow does not have quite the same impact when he pulls an England shirt and with Lampard, they cancel each other out. Sven does not have a clue how to overcome this and the dropping of a mostly underperforming Beckham is one taboo too great.

I'm much more concerned with what's Gerrard going to produce for Liverpool than England.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:15 am

and they paid :D
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby redmikey » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:19 am

azriahmad wrote:Realistically, it is difficult to envisage England winning the world cup, even though England is now equipped with arguably the best collection of players they it has ever had. Not with a coach like Ericksson.

If the coach were Jose Mourinho or Rafa Benitez or Gus Hiddink or Scholari, England has a better chance because these guys are tactically much more adept than the lost Sven.

Gerrard somehow does not have quite the same impact when he pulls an England shirt and with Lampard, they cancel each other out. Sven does not have a clue how to overcome this and the dropping of a mostly underperforming Beckham is one taboo too great.

I'm much more concerned with what's Gerrard going to produce for Liverpool than England.

tbh honest i agree . but it wasn't an england thread .

i just would of liked SG put club first as he had nothing to prove.

carrick and gerrard played well, so would carrick and lampard but every football fan in the country knows that you need balance in the middle but sven hasn't got the bottle to drop anyone big in case the papers get on his back.
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:40 pm

dawson99 wrote:i dont agree with the term burn out. playing football is not the same as working down.. well a mine or something. Football is nto a real hard job. Plus when you are winning you just cant wait for the next game. These players are in the peak condition and they have ample time to rest. you cant earn 100k+ a season and moan if you think u r getting alil tired... if u ask me

I dont agree at all with what your saying mate.
It doesnt matter if they are paid 100 grand a week or that the job isn't as physically draining as a coal miner, or labourer.
To be at the top of their game in every match and not get tired is difficult.
I know i will get the obvious replys saying.....i play twice a week and go to work on the other days.
But its the level these professionals play at.
With Stevie Gerrard, the amount he puts in to his game puts so much strain on his body, and burnout is a possibility if Rafa is not careful, or injuries is another....a tired player is alot more likely to pick up an injury.
I dont blame Steven for wanting to play the other night, representing your country at your home ground would be a proud moment, i am just happy Sven was sensible and took him off at half time.
Rafa looks after him imo and often brings him off in games where we would rather he stays on for the full 90, but at the end of the day we need him for the remainder of the season, and if we are not careful we wont have him fit.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AlanHansen » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:47 pm

dawson99 wrote:i dont agree with the term burn out. playing football is not the same as working down.. well a mine or something. Football is nto a real hard job. Plus when you are winning you just cant wait for the next game. These players are in the peak condition and they have ample time to rest. you cant earn 100k+ a season and moan if you think u r getting alil tired... if u ask me

I don't agree with that at all, I play twice a week and it really does take it out of you, and thats just me running around for an hour or so, it must be much worse at their level, they run something like 20 miles per game. And if you're even a yard shorter in pace in can make a big difference to your game, it doesn't matter how much you're paid.
AlanHansen

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:36 pm

I agree with many of you that 2 games per week with almost all rest in between games - Risse mentioned that's about all they do between games now - that this should be no issue for Stevie G or any other player for that matter. The thing I find strange is why Sven wanted to play Gerrard in the 1st place. I mean surely he is a 100% guarantee (along with about 18 other players) to go to Germany. Why then play him in a meaningless friendly that's purpose is to give others an opportunity to shine.

I can see both sides of the argument here. At the end of the day it's the players decision. What we don't want is a fall out between Rafa and Stevie on this. 

I am a Scot and we had a similar (although not identical situation) this week where Barry Ferguson (I am nt comparing hiom to Stevie G before anyone starts) played in the friendly having admitted himself that he is in need of an operation on his ankle. Should Rangers go out of Europe this week he goes straight to hospital to have this done. He turned out for Scotland on Wednesday!!! Bizarre...
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:02 pm

i've always been one of the most outspoken members of this forum on this issue.

i'm frequently hearing managers coming out with this term "burnout" on a regular basis. it's garbage. rafa where are you coming from?

yes we've played an awful lot of games but you heard gerrard himself coming out before the england game saying he wanted to play more games. at gerrard's age (25) he should be coming into his physical peak. he should be able to play a game a day in his condition.

you'll always notice that tiredness is always used as an excuse when teams are losing. you never hear it when we're winning. it was used on here by people after we lost at man united. it was used after we lost at charlton and it was used after we lost at chelsea.

rant over :angry:  :D
Last edited by stmichael on Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:05 pm

Gerrard should be alrite aslong as he gets his daily in take of shredded wheat bite size.
48-1119859832

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion