Bouncebackability - Smells like team spirit

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:31 am

I have to say, having seen the lads at the Charlton game, I felt I had seen a togetherness and feeling in the team that I had not seen before. The lads looked really in it together, the work ethic was excellent, and the team spirit was a joy to behold.

Watch the Morientes goal, and Stevie G looks like its the FA Cup final winning goal, and then in the huddle JC (Superstar) turns and gets all the lads involved in the "group hug" celebration.

Tuesday nights' win away at the valley was in fact the 3rd time this season in the premiership that we have been behind at half time and managed to turn around the defecit and pick up all three points.

The previous occsions of course being Man City at home and away at Fulham. If you add to those results the Champions League game at Anfield (what a game) when against Olympiakos the boys managed comeback of immense proportions, and you can see why there is renewed optimism amongst some fans. Roberts take note!!

I am sure most of you already knew about all those results, but maybe you have not yet put them all together. You see  what is interesting is that no other team has managed this feat more than once this season. The feat being to overturn a half time defecit. The statistics are infact that Manchester United (twice) plus Portsmouth , The Villa, and Norwich are the only teams to do have managed to do it once in the league.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:38 am

I think the turning point may have been getting knocked out of the F.A.cup, when they had a meeting and Rafa sat them all down and asked what they wanted as a team.
I felt for the man the other night I really did, the first half he looked so puzzelled why they wasnt playing like he had told them in his game plan.

I knew we would win 2-1 and when the ball hit the bar twice and numerous shots over and right at the goalie, I thought oh no its going to be one of them nights.

we had 19 shots on to there 4, second half we where great, played really attacking not letting them out there own half.
we hunted together as a team, and we must continue to do so in all the remaining games, we can beat anyone on our day.
The team need this instilled into them and this belief that they can. A few more wins and a good run should do the trick starting saturday against Fulham :cool:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:43 am

I agree Leon, we have to get a good team spirit and start playing as a unit, thats what we were doin between 2000-2002 and look what we achived :;):

I know people go on about it all the time but the injuries have got to the team, next season when everyone is fit and we have a full squad then it will be a different LFC :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso_Rulz » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:40 am

just wana ask.. i have a feeling that baros and garcia dun realli like each other..
they seems to hesitate to pass to each other.
Alonso_Rulz

Postby maximus » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:41 am

I do agree leon, in our treble winning season, there was a team 'huddle' before EVERY game, which I thought was excellent for team spirit that season, and obviously had a great impact.

On that point, I have to admit - Chelsea, with all their overpaid overhyped players do seem to show a tremendous team spirit, after every game, and Mourinho with all his cockiness and arrogance really does show a lot of emotion and passion for the team which is impressive.

I think this is fundemental in building confidence and a winning mentality.
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby azriahmad » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:46 am

I thought it was worse between Baros and Cisse. Cisse expects baros to pass to him all the time and he only started to work a bit more in the few games before he gor injured.

Whatever, we have to emulate Chelsea's work ethics - every one of them is prepared to scrap and close down opponents no matter where they play, even Drogba. Jose Maurinho, kile him or not, has imbedded an incredible work ethics amongst Chelsea's millionaire players that they are extremely resilient, very admirable as the non-British players have also picked up this trait, which has always been one of the main features of Fergie's manure teams as clearly demonbstrated in their away win at Highbury.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:20 am

good points. its a bit of a chicken and egg situation but for the last couple of weeks of bad performances we just haven't looked like a team. its hard to say if it starts as a cause or a result of bad games but its been hard to watch. arsenal and the scum have a great togetherness which shows on and off the pitch - not sure about chelsea yet as they're kind of a new team but something is going right.

i think that some of that team spirit amongst arsenal and manure is down to the fact of the intense rivalry between them. in those situations people bond together much more strongly. our team need to believe in themselves as contenders who can get in amongst the top teams and hurt them - that drive and belief does wonders to build a proper team spirit.

benitez also has to work hard on this part of the job. he obviously had it within him at valencia and he needs to show it again now.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:31 pm

Listening to Jonny Riise talking after the game i definately got the impression there was a 'siege mentality' developing in the squad. This being a reaction to all the criticism following our 3 game losing streak. It looks like it might work to the clubs' advantage, teams often produce their best when their backs are against the wall and the media are going overboard with the criticism.

Maybe we will win our last 13 games! That would be nice :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:40 pm

He's great Riise isn't he?  I've got faith in the lad.  He's come out and said a couple of times that he loves this club and he wouldn't consider leaving.  We need more like him in the squad.  He knows what we are trying to achieve.
jonnymac1979

Postby Paul C » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:50 pm

I think that the team building ethic is important, they shouldn't just be a group of overpaid footballers but a 'family' that works for each other on and off the ball.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:38 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Tuesday nights' win away at the valley was in fact the 3rd time this season in the premiership that we have been behind at half time and managed to turn around the defecit and pick up all three points.

it certainly makes a pleasent change leon. under houllier, one of the major criticisms was that we didn't have a plan b when things weren't going our way.

this season we have been predominantly stronger in the second half of games.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:43 pm

One of the most important things we have to improve on is working as a team and having/keeping the right mentality which is what Rafa has been working on.

It was great to hear that we played as a team, played for one another on the pitch and won the game as a team. May it continue through out the season
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:00 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:I have to say, having seen the lads at the Charlton game, I felt I had seen a togetherness and feeling in the team that I had not seen before. The lads looked really in it together, the work ethic was excellent, and the team spirit was a joy to behold.

I think that has been lacking recently, it's there though - the Olympiakos game is another perfect example of what u are talking about and even Man City very early on in the season.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:31 am

Its certainly been a major improvement which is all the more remarkable considering amount of disruption to team stability caused by the high injury rate
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion