Benitez's first interview

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:59 pm

here is a transcript of rafael benitez's first major interview on the liverpool website. i don't know about any of you, but i like the way the guy talks.

Liverpoolfc.tv: Mr Benitez, you described your arrival at Liverpool as 'like a dream', is the reality that you are manager here now sinking in?

Rafael Benitez: Yes. It was like a dream because, in Spain, when you think about the Premier teams in England you always think about Liverpool. Sometimes Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United, but always Liverpool. Everyone who knows their football in Spain knows about the history of Liverpool Football Club. We know about the Beatles also!

For a football professional like myself, Liverpool is the most important club in England. I am a very proud man because never did I think that one day I would be sitting here today talking to you as Liverpool manager.

*What are your first impressions of your new surroundings here at Melwood and Anfield?

To start with, I am very happy with the people. They've made a big impression on me already. As for Melwood, it is an intelligent sport centre and the facilities are very impressive. Everyone knows how special Anfield is and I'm no different. We have an expression in Spain that says 'it smells of football' and that is a good thing.

*As one of Europe's most sought after coaches a lot of clubs were reportedly interested in your services, what attracted you to LFC?

In addition to the history and prestige, which we have already mentioned, as a Spanish manager it's important to have the trust of the staff and the club. In Spain, it's not normal to manage a club for more than three years. Here at Liverpool I have been given five years and that is important to me.

*Do you see the illustrious history of Liverpool Football Club as a burden or an inspiration?

I am well aware of this history and the feeling people have for this club. I was in the Real Madrid reserve team when Liverpool won the European Cup one zero in 1981. I've also read about the bootroom and Bill Shankly. I'm inspired by it all.

*Looking ahead to next season what are your immediate objectives?

To win the next match. My idea is not to think too much about the future. I take one week at a time and prepare the team for that. Win one match and move on to the next

*But would it be your ultimate aim to make Liverpool Kings of Europe once again?

Yes, of course. If you think on a match-by-match basis it does not mean you don't think about winning titles. The problem in football is when you say 'I will win titles', because people then want it now, that moment. I think it is necessary to walk well before you can run and the important competitions like the European Cup will then come.

*How much are you looking forward to meeting the Liverpool players?

Very much so. Normally I'd like to talk to the players on my first day but I will have to wait until 12th July, when they report back here for pre-season training. I want to talk to all the players, both together and individually.

*Do you know much about the club's youth Academy and are you prepared to give youngsters chance?

I have trained there with Valencia and I know how it works, but I will need to speak to the people there to find out more. Every manager wants good players in their Academy because at the end of the day it makes life easier for us if we are able to use these players. They know about the spirit of the club and give that something extra.

*Djibril Cisse is due to arrive here from Auxerre very soon, is it true you tried to sign him for Valencia?

We had a scout at Valencia who watched Cisse for two years and he said to me that we would win the league a lot of times with him in our team. Now I am at Liverpool and Cisse is coming here, I hope his prediction comes true.

*How much of a culture shock will it be for you moving to a new country?

Moving to a new country is always an exciting experience and it will be so for myself and my family. For my children, I have two daughters, I think it will be wonderful. We know Spanish is an important language but if they can learn English as well, it will open a lot of doors for them in the future.

*It's a lot colder here than in Spain, do you envisage any problems in adapting?

True, in Valencia the weather was fantastic but you have to adapt and I don't see it being a problem.

*Not a lot is known about you off the pitch, what are your interests away from football?

I like to play chess and cards, although it is often quite difficult to find the time. I also like computers and take an interest in new technology.

*Every Liverpool fan was impressed with the way Valencia performed at Anfield while you were in charge. Is this the style of football we can expect from Liverpool next season?

Our team will try and do the same good things as Valencia did but each team has its own identity. If it is possible to combine the best of Liverpool and Valencia then the team can be a very strong one.

*Do you have a message for the Liverpool fans?

What I want to say to the fans is that I need time. But I am very, very happy and excited to be here. For me it is a challenge and one I will relish. As I said in the press conference, I haven't come here to learn English, I've come here to win. I think it's important that myself, the club, the fans and the players share the same spirit.

Finally, best of luck for the future...

Thank-you.

:)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion