Benitez's first interview - Sounds promising

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:09 pm

Liverpoolfc.tv: Mr Benitez, you described your arrival at Liverpool as 'like a dream', is the reality that you are manager here now sinking in?

Rafael Benitez: Yes. It was like a dream because, in Spain, when you think about the Premier teams in England you always think about Liverpool. Sometimes Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United, but always Liverpool. Everyone who knows their football in Spain knows about the history of Liverpool Football Club. We know about the Beatles also!

For a football professional like myself, Liverpool is the most important club in England. I am a very proud man because never did I think that one day I would be sitting here today talking to you as Liverpool manager.

What are your first impressions of your new surroundings here at Melwood and Anfield?

To start with, I am very happy with the people. They've made a big impression on me already. As for Melwood, it is an intelligent sport centre and the facilities are very impressive. Everyone knows how special Anfield is and I'm no different. We have an expression in Spain that says 'it smells of football' and that is a good thing.

As one of Europe's most sought after coaches a lot of clubs were reportedly interested in your services, what attracted you to LFC?

In addition to the history and prestige, which we have already mentioned, as a Spanish manager it's important to have the trust of the staff and the club. In Spain, it's not normal to manage a club for more than three years. Here at Liverpool I have been given five years and that is important to me.

Do you see the illustrious history of Liverpool Football Club as a burden or an inspiration?

I am well aware of this history and the feeling people have for this club. I was in the Real Madrid reserve team when Liverpool won the European Cup one zero in 1981. I've also read about the bootroom and Bill Shankly. I'm inspired by it all.

Looking ahead to next season what are your immediate objectives?

To win the next match. My idea is not to think too much about the future. I take one week at a time and prepare the team for that. Win one match and move on to the next

But would it be your ultimate aim to make Liverpool Kings of Europe once again?

Yes, of course. If you think on a match-by-match basis it does not mean you don't think about winning titles. The problem in football is when you say 'I will win titles', because people then want it now, that moment. I think it is necessary to walk well before you can run and the important competitions like the European Cup will then come.

How much are you looking forward to meeting the Liverpool players?

Very much so. Normally I'd like to talk to the players on my first day but I will have to wait until 12th July, when they report back here for pre-season training. I want to talk to all the players, both together and individually.

Do you know much about the club's youth Academy and are you prepared to give youngsters chance?

I have trained there with Valencia and I know how it works, but I will need to speak to the people there to find out more. Every manager wants good players in their Academy because at the end of the day it makes life easier for us if we are able to use these players. They know about the spirit of the club and give that something extra.

Djibril Cisse is due to arrive here from Auxerre very soon, is it true you tried to sign him for Valencia?

We had a scout at Valencia who watched Cisse for two years and he said to me that we would win the league a lot of times with him in our team. Now I am at Liverpool and Cisse is coming here, I hope his prediction comes true.

How much of a culture shock will it be for you moving to a new country?

Moving to a new country is always an exciting experience and it will be so for myself and my family. For my children, I have two daughters, I think it will be wonderful. We know Spanish is an important language but if they can learn English as well, it will open a lot of doors for them in the future.

It's a lot colder here than in Spain, do you envisage any problems in adapting?

True, in Valencia the weather was fantastic but you have to adapt and I don't see it being a problem.

Not a lot is known about you off the pitch, what are your interests away from football?

I like to play chess and cards, although it is often quite difficult to find the time. I also like computers and take an interest in new technology.

Every Liverpool fan was impressed with the way Valencia performed at Anfield while you were in charge. Is this the style of football we can expect from Liverpool next season?

Our team will try and do the same good things as Valencia did but each team has its own identity. If it is possible to combine the best of Liverpool and Valencia then the team can be a very strong one.

Do you have a message for the Liverpool fans?

What I want to say to the fans is that I need time. But I am very, very happy and excited to be here. For me it is a challenge and one I will relish. As I said in the press conference, I haven't come here to learn English, I've come here to win. I think it's important that myself, the club, the fans and the players share the same spirit.

Finally, best of luck for the future...

Thank-you.

Intriguing words full of promise, lets
now see it put into fruition  :)  :)
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:28 pm

I'm really impressed with what he's said.

He's saying things that are believable and make sense and sound promising.

Similar to Houllier, the same sort of feeling.

knowing what i know now about football to what i did 6 years ago and for me to stil feel the same... makes me even more positive :p
115-1073096938

Postby glenbuck patriot » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:49 pm

If it sounds the same as Houllier GOD Help US, more Boring ****** football, Gerrard will definitely be on his way!

On a completely BRIGHTER NOTE, Benitez IS NOTHING LIKE GH, wants to play like we did in the 70's/80's, this maybe alien to the likes of the GH worshipers like Stu, but to many of us is a breath of fresh air, roll on next season, I for one can't wait to see what happens in the transfer market over the next few weeks.
Pirrie Labour Club 1976 Bill Shankly Prize giving at local ABA Championships.

"You've been booked in to do a three round exhibition bout tonight Bill."

" My fights don't last three rounds SON!"
glenbuck patriot

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:53 pm

Interesting... he prefers a direct style aswell. :)

Only he likes to use wingers as apose to forwards. :)

You just disagree with everything i say for the sake of it mate. Admit it.

Houllier was a good manager. FACT!!!
115-1073096938

Postby glenbuck patriot » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:11 am

Stu,

You'll see in my apraisal of GH in another post, I rated him as a Manager, he had all the right credential's to do the job WELL!, GH just lost his way and ended up playing moronic, predictable football, (BORING IN OTHER WORDS), AS for disagreeing with everything you say, well then YES you're right, I do disagree with most of your post's, not because of the content, in some instances you present your case well in the majority of others you go WAY OVER the top, but my biggest problem with you is in the way that you present your case, If we don't agree with you We're all idiots, for NOT seeing You're point of view, but hey, this is a forum, it's ALL about debate, I may disagree with your point of view, but I'd like to think that everyone on this forum shares a common goal that is to see LFC BACK where it should be, challenging if not WINNING the championship year in year out, I think we stand a better chance of doing that without GH and with a manager who wants to bring some passion/fervour and above all else a WINNING MENTALLITY back to the club, (We BOTH Support!)

glenbuck patriot

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:25 am

The point is, i don't say people are idiots if unless they come out with cr@p.

Saying Owen is rubbish because of recent form is simply cr@p.

Saying things like there was no injury crisis last season is also cr@p.

All i was saying about Houllier is he wasn't as bad as people made out.

I can't see how any IDIOT can slag a manager that nearly died trying to bring us what we wanted most. When he was ill... who doubted he'd bring that title home when he came back?

We had a shocking season the one before last with bad signings.... the season just gone was as a result of that bad season and the injuries suffered. Both of which he was looking to fix this summer and i think he'd have succeeded. Imo, we'd definately have been a better side this coming season. Possibly challenging for the league title. The tactics weren't that bad, the personell was the main problem and he was looking to improve that with the right players.

However.... we now have Benitez who i hope can be even better than Houllier. Houllier was superb... i'm hoping Benitez can be great and have every confidence in him being so.
115-1073096938

Postby glenbuck patriot » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:29 am

Is that like we're singing from the same hymn sheet?....... FOR NOW? (OLIVE BRANCH)

glenbuck patriot

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion