Are we still waiting...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Tue May 23, 2006 6:10 pm

1. For the money he cost and the fact that he came from a different country and has had to settle in he has been unbelivable and very reiable over the years. Definitely in our top 10 of all time maybe even in the top 5/6.

2. Yeah it has been a very good one for Sami but for me his best season was the treble season with Henchoz he was immense that year.

3. As many as he possibly can, many people wrote him off last season saying he was finished especially when he was dropped for a while for Pelligrino ???  but he came back and was brilliant this season. I dont see why he cant do it again next season.

4. I think he can give us 2 more seasons and move on and still play another 2 for a lesser team in the Premiership.

5. No, he is not a John Terry type when it comes to being vocal. He is a bit too calm, but I think for a lot of the players his presence on the field is felt because of his reliability.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Tue May 23, 2006 6:30 pm

stmichael wrote:1. Where does Sami Hyypia rate in the history of modern Liverpool FC centre halves?

2. Has this season been his best in an LFC shirt?

3. How many games do you expect him to play next season?

4. How many seasons do you think he has left at the top level (not necessarily at LFC)?

5. Looking back now, did you ever really think that he was LFC captain material? Is he vocal enough?

1. Legend. Simple as. A rare Houllier success who, with Henchoz, turned the worst defence in the league into the best, and with Carra has made an even stronger partnership. He's been simply fantastic.

2. His first season was pretty good, but with the amount of clean sheets this season, yes, this season has been his crowning glory.

3. As many as he can manage. Age is relative, look at Teddy Sheringham. If Sami's fitness stays the same, there's no reason why he can't play 40+ games. But Agger and paletta will have be introduced sooner rather than later.

4. See previous answer. If he keeps his physical and mental game together, he could cut it at the top for another 8 or 9 years. Look at Milan's back line. But he is starting to lose some speed, so he may only be with us for 1 or 2 more.

5. Robert De Niro once said that powerful men never shout. Sami has a look that can kill and he commands a lot of respect. When Stevie first got the Captain's armband, I was a little worried how Sami would react, but in retrospect, with Gerrard being Gerrard, it was the right decission. But Sami makes a very good captain.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue May 23, 2006 7:57 pm

stmichael wrote:1. Where does Sami Hyypia rate in the history of modern Liverpool FC centre halves?

4. How many seasons do you think he has left at the top level (not necessarily at LFC)?

5. Looking back now, did you ever really think that he was LFC captain material? Is he vocal enough?

To hear some people tell it, Hyypia's past it: "too slow, too old, we can do better and must to progress...blah, blah, blah."

Well, I'm not having that.  Sami's been immense for us the past two seasons and will continue to lead the backline for much of next season.  He's one of the first names on the teamsheet and he's a huge part of the reason why we have the stingiest defense in the league.

As to the questions raised...

1) Hard to say for me, having only see the team with Sami in it but he's surely one of the best 2-3 centre halves LFC have ever had?

2) Again, hard to say based on my experience but its certainly been his finest season since the Treble season.  He's been central to all of those clean sheets kept and his one 'mare of game (at home to Chelsea) came when he had the flu.

3) Most of them.  He still has to be one of the first names down on the teamsheet IMO--his experience alone steadies the back line and his aerial dominance is unparalleled.  When was the last time a high ball got the better of him?  Agger will require some games but I wouldn't be surprised if he spells Carra as much or more than Sami.

4) At least 3 more with LFC and hopefully more than that.  He's like our Jaap Stam--steady as she goes at the back--so I don't see the need to ship him out anytime soon.  In fact, I'd love it if he retired with us and moved into a coaching position.

5) I had no problem with him as captain--you don't always have to be vocal to lead.  In fact, I used to worry about Stevie as captain after the switch was made: he seemed too openly agitated with his teammates too many times for my liking.  Indeed, I think it has only been this past season that Stevie's convinced me he's a worthy captain--the lad has finally grown into the role.  As for Sami, I think his play has improved since he's had the armband removed--the captaincy seemed to burden him a bit toward the end.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby columbia » Tue May 23, 2006 8:15 pm

1) I think he's the best from the modern days, certainly the most concistent. Him and carragher have been great this season. The season before he moved here our defence was our biggest weakness. That season our defence cost us as we were scoring many goals but just couldnt keep it shut at the other end. Hyypia was the major factor the following season in turning our defence from poor to the meanest in the league. Henchoz contributed to this also but hyypia always seemed the most important to me.

2) Thats a difficult question, our defence has been wonderful this year, the best its been for a long time. He has certainly contributed to that however as have the rest of our back 5. I think in terms of personal and the general organisation benitez has brought to our defence have been huge factors in the defensive record we have. Sami has been very reliable though and although im struggling to say its his best season i cant realy think of a better one he has had.

3) I have seen no sign that he is past it yet so i dont see why he cant keep going as a regular. He may play a little less as benitez will probably want to give agger a few more starts to get him used to playing in the first team.

4) I think he can certainly play another season at lfc at a similar standard he has maintained throughout his time here. I dont think its something we can judge now as he's playing as well as ever. If his performances start to drop then maybe we need to consider his future but untill then i think we should just see how it goes. I'd be suprised if he's not here for another two season though and after that im sure he could continue to play for another premiership side, like bolton maybe.

5) I dont think sami is the best captain as he's not as inspiring as other players, i.e gerrard and carragher and yeh , maybe not vocal enough.
columbia

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue May 23, 2006 9:01 pm

stmichael wrote:...for Hyypia to be replaced?

I ask the question because it seems that every season for the past 3, the subject of his value to the team given his advanced age and lagging speed comes to the fore. Every summer I read countless posts writing him out of the lineup in favour of a potential transfer or emergence of a young reserve player. Comments such as "he's finished" (no pun intended) have been proved to be way wide of the mark.

Looking over our stats, Sami Hyypia has played the most matches (55) of any player in the team this season. Not only that, but he did so on a team that set defensive records in terms of clean sheets and consecutive clean sheets. Infact I'd say that he probably had his best full season for us since he signed way back in 1999. Whatever way you look at it, the guy is a modern day Liverpool legend.

I am well aware that he won't be able to go for ever. And that in Agger, and to a lesser extent Paletta, we have ready replacements in the squad. But doesn't the sight of a Hyypia-Carragher partnership still give you a sense of great confidence? Personally, I am expecting at least one more full season by the big Finn before we see Agger (or Paletta) brought into the team as a permanent replacement.

So it's simple:

1. Where does Sami Hyypia rate in the history of modern Liverpool FC centre halves?

1. He's the best I've seen.

2. Along with the treble season, yes.

3. Every game he is fit for.

4. 3 or 4 at LFC as he's never relied on pace. Up to 5 elsewhere.

5. No, not with the likes of Carragher stood alongside him. He did his best as a Captain, but I feel it affected his game a little, and he isn't one to rouse the players in times of need.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue May 23, 2006 9:57 pm

5. Looking back now, did you ever really think that he was LFC captain material? Is he vocal enough?[/b]

Great post Saint. I like the Friday 5 format for starting a new thread and think it would be good to see more posts written up like that.

As for Sami, we are all gonna miss him like crazy when he finally hangs up his boots or is told he's not wanted. When that time comes he will be a Liverpool legend in my eyes. Houllier's best piece of business by a country mile. how much did he cost? 2.6 mill i think, an ABSOLUTE steal.
People who say Sami has lost pace must be blind. Sami never had any pace to lose in the first. But under Houllier he played in a team that sat a lot deeper with a midfield four briefed to protect the back four. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves a lot of the time. Carra is hailed in all quaters for his play over the past two seasons and rightly so, but for me Sami has just had the better season. I'll bet that Carra made as many (if not more) mistakes that led to goals than big Sami this past year.

In answer to the questions;

1- Behind Hansen but ahead of Lawro. Not sure how he compares to the likes of Ron Yeats or Emlyn. Maybe one of the older members can enlighten us? Woof :D

2- I think this season might have been his best. He had some great seasons under Ged but as i said before the defence had far more protection in the system we played back then.

3- He played 55 games this season, he's naturally very fit, has had very few injuries in his career (touch wood) to date so i see no reason why he can't play 40-45+ next season.

4- How many more seasons at LFC? Hard to say with Centre-backs. Benitez had the likes of Pellegrino and Carboni playing for him at Valencia and they were well beyond a free bus pass. another couple of years but maybe more.

5- As a Captain i guess he did what he could. He was the obvious choice as Stevie was probably too young at the time. I don't think you can point to Sami's captaincy as part of the blame for our loss of form under Houllier. The manager was losing his way and so was the team. Sami is definately a 'lead by example' sort of guy so was maybe not ideal but then captaincy isn't all about churchillian pre-match motivational speeches (but they do help)
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby vlady16.1 » Tue May 23, 2006 10:54 pm

its funny -- people condemn 3 bad games but he basically has played 5 straight seasons- think about it - he's had no cover and finally rafa has got some and everyone figures he's thru-- i'm amazed that he can still walk and my biggest fear for the last 4 years has been when will the minutes catch up -- chelsea with the flu ---come on he shouldn't have started but we had no cover -- he is a warrior and please don't compare him with rio -- rio makes more blunders in 1 game that sammi does in a year-- walk on dude :buttrock
vlady16.1

Postby account deleted by request » Wed May 24, 2006 12:38 am

When Hyypia first arrived at Anfield I had never heard of him and with the low price my expectations were limited. Another short term stop gap for the increasingly problematic centre of our defence was about as much as I was expecting. He was however a revelation that first season eclipsing the bad memories of Phil Babb and forging a great partnership with S.Henchoz. Central defenders work best as pairs Yeats and Smith, Hughes and Thompson, Thompson and Hansen, Hansen and Lawrenson, Hyypia and Henchoz, Hyypia and Carragher. Sammi can stand comparison to most of the above and is certainly the best centre back since A.Hansen. M. Wright never had the luck of a decent partner and was troubled by injuries and loss of form and Carragher has only occupied the position successfully for a couple of years and needs longer to establish his claims.
          I have always admired the quiet, determined, and dignified way in which Sammi has approached the job. When Rednapp was injured and Fowler was having selection problems with Houllier, it was quiet Sammi that took on the captaincy in their absences to lead by example towards the treble. When the captaincy was eventually given to the more inspirational leadership of S.Gerrard,Sammi accepted it like a man with his usual quiet dignity( even though make no mistake it must have hurt like hell) No moaning to the press, no demands for a transfer, no drop in performance or attitude.  Whatever challenge has been thrown at Sammi he has always risen to meet it,fighting for and winning his place on merit, a truly big man in every respect. His attitude, fitness and approach to the game lead me to believe that he still has a large part to play over the next couple of seasons before hopefully being offered a coaching job with Liverpool.
account deleted by request

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed May 24, 2006 1:20 am

1. Where does Sami Hyypia rate in the history of modern Liverpool FC centre halves?

- He's right up there, certainly. Hansen remains the benchmark, but even if he's the second best LFC centre half of the last 25 years, I'd say he's definitely in the top 5-10 centre halves that have played in England's top flight in that period. In the Premiership era, I'd say only Adams, Pallister, Terry, Stam and Campbell have been anywhere near him for quality and consistency.

- Hard to say. In isolated matches, he's shown some of the best form I've ever seen from him. On the flipside, in other games, he's played more poorly than I've seen from him since his arrival.

From an individual perspective, I think he was more consistent in the treble season. If we're rating a defensive pair over an extensive fixture list however, you have to say that, 9 times out of 10, Sami and Carra have been utterly reassuring in the middle of defence this past season.

One thing I've certainly thought this season is that he's far more confident on the ball. His audacious turn and shot in the FA Cup Final was the most high profile sign of this in recent months, but some of his runs from our half with the ball at his feet have been almost Hansen-esque. I think his distribution on the deck has improved immensely as well.

- Hard one to call. Agger and Paletta's arrivals will put pressure on him, but he's weathered the Agger threat brilliantly, and it'll take a run of very poor games to dislodge him. Simple answer - he'll play most of the games we feature in next season.

- I don't like answering questions like this. I'd love him to still be doing a job at LFC when he reaches Gary Mac age, but hand on heart I do think age will start telling after the coming season. I'd be utterly delighted to be proved wrong, however.

- Stevie captain, Carra vice-captain. Those 2 sit right for me. If neither of those guys are available, Sami's certainly the man I'd turn to next. He's got the experience, he's got the passion, and he's definitely a positive influence on the team. Count the number of rueful smiles Sami gives a ref during the course of a game. He's a fair player, but he plays to win, and to his credit he'll shrug off a bad decision and get his teammates focused on anything that's put in front of them.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Reg » Wed May 24, 2006 1:27 am

stmichael wrote:...for Hyypia to be replaced?

I ask the question because it seems that every season for the past 3, the subject of his value to the team given his advanced age and lagging speed comes to the fore. Every summer I read countless posts writing him out of the lineup in favour of a potential transfer or emergence of a young reserve player. Comments such as "he's finished" (no pun intended) have been proved to be way wide of the mark.

Looking over our stats, Sami Hyypia has played the most matches (55) of any player in the team this season. Not only that, but he did so on a team that set defensive records in terms of clean sheets and consecutive clean sheets. Infact I'd say that he probably had his best full season for us since he signed way back in 1999. Whatever way you look at it, the guy is a modern day Liverpool legend.

I am well aware that he won't be able to go for ever. And that in Agger, and to a lesser extent Paletta, we have ready replacements in the squad. But doesn't the sight of a Hyypia-Carragher partnership still give you a sense of great confidence? Personally, I am expecting at least one more full season by the big Finn before we see Agger (or Paletta) brought into the team as a permanent replacement.

So it's simple:

Good post.

Sami is Solid - if he wasn't he would have been replaced. Of course he's not perfect, but if you remember, Alan Hansen wasn't that fast and believe me he was painful to watch going forward on the ball. How many times did he have the ball stolen off his toes?

Emlyn was a lovely guy but he wasnt called Crazy Horse because he was a disciplined, skilled, thinker of a player....

'Horses for courses' to use a nice pun, centre backs run like cart horses, think in fewer dimensions than a goalfish but by gum they can tackle, head and get in the way of a through ball or shot.

Keep going Sami lad, Ronaldo isn't competing for your place just yet.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Wed May 24, 2006 3:51 am

s@int wrote:When Hyypia first arrived at Anfield I had never heard of him and with the low price my expectations were limited. Another short term stop gap for the increasingly problematic centre of our defence was about as much as I was expecting. He was however a revelation that first season eclipsing the bad memories of Phil Babb and forging a great partnership with S.Henchoz. Central defenders work best as pairs Yeats and Smith, Hughes and Thompson, Thompson and Hansen, Hansen and Lawrenson, Hyypia and Henchoz, Hyypia and Carragher. Sammi can stand comparison to most of the above and is certainly the best centre back since A.Hansen. M. Wright never had the luck of a decent partner and was troubled by injuries and loss of form and Carragher has only occupied the position successfully for a couple of years and needs longer to establish his claims.
          I have always admired the quiet, determined, and dignified way in which Sammi has approached the job. When Rednapp was injured and Fowler was having selection problems with Houllier, it was quiet Sammi that took on the captaincy in their absences to lead by example towards the treble. When the captaincy was eventually given to the more inspirational leadership of S.Gerrard,Sammi accepted it like a man with his usual quiet dignity( even though make no mistake it must have hurt like hell) No moaning to the press, no demands for a transfer, no drop in performance or attitude.  Whatever challenge has been thrown at Sammi he has always risen to meet it,fighting for and winning his place on merit, a truly big man in every respect. His attitude, fitness and approach to the game lead me to believe that he still has a large part to play over the next couple of seasons before hopefully being offered a coaching job with Liverpool.

Good post.

The way he has handled the press is a credit to himself and the club.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed May 24, 2006 6:59 am

1) I would rate Hyypia as our number 1 CH in the modern day, well at least he's been our top CH for the last 15 years or so. Mark Wright would get a mention in that time but for me Hyypia is a legend in his own right.

2) When you take into consideration the game gets that little bit harder every year I would have to say its been his best, just look at our defensive record this year.

3) I think Hyypia will manage at least 40 games next year and can only see the likes of Agger coming in from time to time, just to gain first team experiance and give the big Finn a breather here and there.

4) How old is he 32 ? At a top level maybe a couple, well in England anyway. Maybe three in Italy or somewhere where the pace isnt so quick.

5) Yes he was captian material and I felt sorry for him a bit when Houllier gave the armband to Gerrard.I dont think he did anything wrong, Houllier just changed it for his own reasons. The fact Gerrard was Liverpool born and bread swayed him and it wasnt a bad decision really. Gerrards game improved immensley. But I dont agree that you have to be vocal to be a good captin, you can lead by other examples on a pitch.
What Sami did was adequate on the pitch for a captain, and also his position was important too Being a CH the game is played infront of him so its easier for him to organise the midfield and defence as a unit. But if someone maybe wasnt pulling there wait, it doesnt have to come from the captain, the same is said if a player deserves praise on the field it doesnt have to come from the captain. As long as someone says something (cough cough Carragher) its all good.
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed May 24, 2006 7:09 am

s@int wrote:When Hyypia first arrived at Anfield I had never heard of him and with the low price my expectations were limited. Another short term stop gap for the increasingly problematic centre of our defence was about as much as I was expecting. He was however a revelation that first season eclipsing the bad memories of Phil Babb and forging a great partnership with S.Henchoz. Central defenders work best as pairs Yeats and Smith, Hughes and Thompson, Thompson and Hansen, Hansen and Lawrenson, Hyypia and Henchoz, Hyypia and Carragher. Sammi can stand comparison to most of the above and is certainly the best centre back since A.Hansen. M. Wright never had the luck of a decent partner and was troubled by injuries and loss of form and Carragher has only occupied the position successfully for a couple of years and needs longer to establish his claims.

BTW a good post s@int  :buttrock
66-1112520797

Postby RedorDead » Wed May 24, 2006 7:20 am

1. I think Sami is one of the best central defenders the premiership has ever had. In terms of numbers and statistics he is probably the best. The likes of Campbell and Ferdinand will always be mentioned ahead of him and they are top players but their reputations were forged young and in recent seasons both those players have been found wanting on numerous occasions. Sami has far better adapted his game with age and is far more consistant.
Apart from when Sami was distracted by the captaincy he has always performed at his best for Liverpool and has been fortunate in having had two excellent partners in Henchoz and now Carragher. He is one of our best ever and has been mentioned he is in my opinion the best since Hansen. As an aside someone mentioned that Hyppia couldn't pass.....well I havn't seen many centre halfs with a foot as sweet as Sami's left.

2. To defy the shortening expectations put upon him by fans and to continue to play a major role in the improving successes of Liverpool I think there is a strong argument for this being his best season for us. He was immense in the 2001 treble winning side and has been pretty consistant over the years. When he was captain he seemed to lose a bit of consistancy, I don't know if this coincided with other factors but when Houllier gave the arm band to Gerrard Hyppia's performances immediately improved. Maybe it was a wake up call or maybe he just didn't enjoy the distraction but he was superb after that.

3. It depends on the development of other players. if Agger shows Rafa something in training and if Sami picks up an injury early on and loses hisplace that way he may find it hard to come back in. I think he will start the season and while remains fit he will play, if it was 55 games this season I don't see why he can't reach 50 again next season.

4. I think he can play next season for us at the top but there are others coming through in that position and I can see him losing his place and perhaps going for a short contract somewhere else for a final payday. Two more seasons I think.

5. Like I have mentioned he didn't really perform as captain. He captained our side at a time when Jamie Redknapp was injured (not a very rare occurance!!) and he held onto the arm band after Jamie went. Stevie Gerrard is a very natural captain and Sami provided that stop gap. I think he was keen to do it but never really shone in the role and was a better player without the burden. In short....No he wasn't capatin material.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed May 24, 2006 2:30 pm

i want to hear banana's view's on this subject :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion