Anelka - Back to anfield?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redtribe » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:14 pm

Real Madrid? ???
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:51 pm

What really bugs me is that everyone gets on Anelka's case as a huffy stoppy git that can cause unrest bla bla bla.

When was the last time he was like that? ???

I seem to recall he was like that when he was 18/19 at Arsenal and when he went to Spain. Since then, he's become more mature and an even better striker. I think he loved playing for Liverpool and I for one would love to see him back. He can't have long left on his Man City contract and lets face it, they desperately need the money.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 69-1067957946 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:54 pm

I just don't like the idea of going back, we need to look foward.

And anyway I think we need a different sort of striker, we need a quality target man with a physical side to his game.
69-1067957946

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:56 pm

i know mike i think it became fashionable to call him a whinger, well it started in the papers etc, and everyone (as they do) laps it all up ( what the papers say) and end up having an opnion thats totally unjustified.

there's zillions of players who "complain" all the time, well more than Anelka.

contrary to belief he wouldnt cause an upset in the squad and would actually be a great asset. i would love it.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:02 pm

i also don't like this concept that we "need a target man". no we don't. what we need is somebody who will "guarantee" you 20+ goals a season. arsenal don't play with a target man. hell, they don't even play with strikers really.
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 69-1067957946 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:09 pm

The thing is a Target Man gives you another option.

The way Arsneal play a target man woulden't really be useful, but it something that Wenger should think about for the future.

Just because you have a target man it doesn't mean that you just lump the ball foward at every opportunity. The idea is that you have a striker with the agression and power, so that even if your not playing that well you have a way to unsettle the oppostion defence.
69-1067957946

Postby Redtribe » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:34 pm

As egghead says its not a wimbledon tactic i'm thinking of but another optiion!
Someone who can be an outlet if things are'nt looking too good!
My point was Anelka is very similar to what we have!
Bergkamp does a similar job for arsenal accept he comes deep to offer an outlet, he is something completley different!
The plus to getting him would be he is proven and is settled in the premiership and will cost very little as he is out of contract at the end of this season!
Maybe him plus A.N.Other!!!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benitez No1 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:29 pm

Yes I agree with you redtribe I think bringing in Anelka would be a good move as he has proven he can score goals in the premiership.......and Morientes aswell (which I think is a done deal anyway)
Benitez No1

Postby bigmick » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:39 pm

Can't get this that Annelka is similar to what we have. Similar to Cisse and Pongolle someone posted. In what way exactly? I'll tell you one way in that he is significantly different, he is twice as good as either of 'em!
I've got sympathy with the 'don't go back' argument, it rarely works but I can't see this 'similarity' for the life of me. Annelka is exactly what we haven't got, an out and out goalscorer. That's why we need one.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:40 pm

The Swede with the Russian sounding name from Juventus, sounds like an interesting prospect.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby crazyhorse » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:22 pm

We could get Anelka for less than 5 million as he is out of contract in the summer.

That could be good business.. but would he want to come back?

I cant see any of the really big names being interested until the summer, Morientes wil probably wait and see how the Champions League pans out first.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:24 pm

Even if Morientes came he couldnt play any CL games for us anyway being cuptied. So I dont think that would put him off.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:30 pm

He'd kill to come back surely? Having said that, if it was me I'd want trophies, glory, International football, a memorable career etc. I'd want to be remembered as say Cantona is at Manure where he is held in almost Godlike reverence. All that said, some of these lads today, what do they want out of the game? really? It can't just be money because they've got that much it doesn't really matter. It makes you wonder when you see blokes like Anelka strolling around seemingly in a dreamworld.
On balance though, put him in a good side (which we will be soon I promise) with a top coach and you might just have yourself a player. Wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldn't say no at about 5 million either.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion