ALEX OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby C-R » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:17 am

I noticed nobody had created one of these so figured I may as well go ahead and create one

He has signed a 5 year deal with the option of a further 1 year

He might not be everybody's cup of tea but I think he could be a solid performer for us with a lot of Premier League experience behind him

Welcome to the greatest club in the world Alex  :buttrock  :buttrock
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Klopptomaniac » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:28 am

I think he'll be pretty keen to hit the ground running. The ability is there, he just needs the motivation and desire and Klopp is the man to instil that into him. I'm underwhelmed in general but I'm quietly optimistic he'll turn out to be a good buy down the line.

He's also Henderson's mate I believe so should be good for the dressing room.

Welcome to the greatest club in the world.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby C-R » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:12 am

Looks like he will be getting the number 21 shirt

C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:29 am

Welcome to the club, but we already have players like him waiting to be sold or loaned. 35 million for an injury prone liability with no end product with only an year left on his contract. Hope this signing doesn't shut the door to signing Lemar.

Best of luck to him though, hopefully this time next year someone will quote this comment and ridicule it.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:47 am

Welcome Ox make us proud.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:52 am

Was once considered as having more ability than Theo Walcott... his career went wayward at Arsenal. If anyone can bring the best out of him, it's Klopp...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:01 pm

Liverpool FC have completed the signing of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain from Arsenal.

The England international penned a long-term contract with the Reds after a medical was conducted at St George’s Park, where the 24-year-old is currently on duty with his country.

Oxlade-Chamberlain made 132 Premier League appearances for the Gunners during his six years in north London, and has 27 caps for the Three Lions to date.

The midfielder, the club’s fourth signing of the summer, bolsters Jürgen Klopp’s squad as Liverpool prepare to compete in three domestic competitions and the Champions League.

In a message to Reds fans after sealing the move, Oxlade-Chamberlain said: “I’m currently away with England, so I’m at St George’s Park. Firstly, I’m delighted to have signed for Liverpool and a big thank-you to everyone here at the FA that has made this possible, using the facilities. It has been a massive help.

“I’m not going to say too much today; I’m here with England and we’ve got two big games coming up, so I want to focus on them. But I can’t wait to get to Melwood and you’ll hear first from me on LFCTV.”
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:03 pm

WELCOME TO LFC!
Dream BIG and play your OX HEART out...
We go again!
:buttrock
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:21 pm

I think he'll turn out to be a great signing for us, I don't think Arsenal's half @rsed tiki taka style suited his game. His pace, power and direct running is much more suited to our high octane style of play. I think once he's got to grips what Jurgen wants he'll just go from strength to strength.
Turning down £220,000 p/w at Chelsea and £180,000 p/w at Arsenal to come here on £120,000 p/w tells you all you need to know about this lads attitude. He left the league champions standing at the altar too.
Besides it's often these types of signings not the heralded ones that turn out the best, let's not forget that back in the day all the focus was on Andy Carroll, Luis Suarez sort of arrived as an afterthought.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby killerp » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:23 pm

I was not really expecting this transfer to go through but I will reserve judgement until we see him have a good run out.

Not sure where he fits into our team apart from the bench at the moment. Does he replace Gini, Hendo or Milner?
killerp

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:27 pm

killerp » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:23 am wrote:I was not really expecting this transfer to go through but I will reserve judgement until we see him have a good run out.

Not sure where he fits into our team apart from the bench at the moment. Does he replace Gini, Hendo or Milner?

One of the respected journo's said that Klopp see's him as Milners long term replacement. He's coming primarily as a midfielder but Klopp has told him he could be used in the front 3 as well.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:41 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:21 pm wrote:Turning down £220,000 p/w at Chelsea and £180,000 p/w at Arsenal to come here on £120,000 p/w tells you all you need to know about this lads attitude. He left the league champions standing at the altar too.

Yep that's a good point yakka. It's probably what did it for Klopp.

Regarding where he would play, he'd probably spend most of his time in midfield (as much as I'm against it), but mostly as a back-up IMO. Our best midfield when everybody's fit, in my opinion, is a trio of Henderson, Can and Lallana. Ox would be the back-up for Lallana, who's something between a midfielder and a winger in our line-up. He can be a back-up to one of the wingers as well. Our midfield and forward line (provided that everyone stays and is fit) would probably look something like this:

Henderson/Milner/Grujic

Lallana/Oxlade                      Can/Wijnaldum

Mane/Salah                                                         Coutinho/Oxlade

Firmino/Sturridge
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:00 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:21 am wrote:I think he'll turn out to be a great signing for us, I don't think Arsenal's half @rsed tiki taka style suited his game. His pace, power and direct running is much more suited to our high octane style of play. I think once he's got to grips what Jurgen wants he'll just go from strength to strength.
Turning down £220,000 p/w at Chelsea and £180,000 p/w at Arsenal to come here on £120,000 p/w tells you all you need to know about this lads attitude. He left the league champions standing at the altar too.
Besides it's often these types of signings not the heralded ones that turn out the best, let's not forget that back in the day all the focus was on Andy Carroll, Luis Suarez sort of arrived as an afterthought.

ermmm... not really... actually I thought Suarez signing was completed before Torres left for Chelsea. And Carroll signed after Torres left. Anyway, at least for me I wasn't impressed with Carroll's signing at all...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:28 pm

Welcome to the club

24 years old and  as stated left a main rival and turned down an offer from another on bigger wedge to come here.

For fans screaming about player loyalty , I hope their screaming his name from stands for many years to come
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:16 pm

If it is true that he turned down 220k per week to accept 120k then that says a lot. Sounds a little far fetched in this day and age but I'll believe it tip my hat. Hope he is a success here!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion