A hint of realism - Food for thought

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redrider » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:06 pm

Over the past week I have observed lot's of fatuous dreaming and pompous expressions of faith taking place on these discussion pages.
GET REAL folks, this is going to be a season of big change and little success.
Let's start up front: Cisse is good, but lightweight, similar faults to Heskey. Baros will never live up to MO class and will be sold, after all he now has a self inflated ego which will not please Rafa (Look what happened to Smurf', same deal!!)
In midfield the 3 new Spaniards will take the best part of the season for Premiership acclimatisation. SG will lose faith and take an Easyjet to Madrid, it may not have escaped your attention that RM failed in their attempts to sign a Galactico midfielder at the last moment over the summer. RM will be talking to SG's agent over the next few months and Owen will be blowing in his ear at the England training camps. Hamman is good but heading towards his sell-by date. Kewell is a shadow of the Leed's player we knew. Riise has reached his limit and is over exposed, lacks pace and ideas.
That leaves the defence, Big Sammy, Josemi and Carragher are as good as we have, but will be undermined by Dodgey Dudek. Capt' Kirk' will be with the physio most of the time, checking out his health insurance policies - if he can still get one.
No, realistically, I have to say not much down for us this season. Rafa will surely earn his corn trying to hold it all together with sticking plaster, while the board look at spending too much money on the plans fot the ego trip stadium.
A rocky road ahead say's Old Moores Almanack !! :(  :(  :(
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:18 pm

Well u have put it in perspective of what I was thinking anyway and the stevie gerrard issue is on the cards unfortunatly Ill be gutted we all will if he goes but if Michael owen would have stayed it would have been a different story :(  Maybe we might get at least one trophey this season its going to be a big IF but weve waited so long for success our lucks bound to change sooner or later :)
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:50 pm

Cisse, It isn't luck that will save us. If Rafa is as shrewd as he appears, he will have worked all of the above out weeks ago. Indeed there is evidence of his published interest in the transfer market, with Morientes etc. He know's where the sticking plaster needs to go. The answer may lie in some realism at Board level, ie. Some new funding and some sense on Stadium spending, yes a larger stadium means more cash every fortnight, but we need a strnger team first. Steve Morgan talks a lot of sense here, he may yet help save the day !  :)  :)
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:54 pm

hope so m8 the new thai deals fell thru again now :(
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:49 pm

The Thai deals have all been too dodgey. The only reason they have had some air time is that David Moores thought he could cash in and still remain in control. Sadly, 'no cigar' :blues: :blues:
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:55 pm

What is success in your defination? We can get into top three, Rafa wouldn't settle for anything under the third place.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby laza » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:35 am

Dont get a job with the Samaritians :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kindaconfuzed » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:57 am

Bedrider

Yet another good posting, the inner sanctom looms ahead. From your assumptions then it looks like a good 10 years ahead before much happens?

Not sure about Cisse being the same as Heskey unless yu just mean in terms of under performance which to date seems about right. So far no flashes of inspiration, for me anyway.

I think Kewell will continue with poor performances as I think he reserved the best for Leeds, sad to say.

All I can say is that presently we are livin on a lot of hope and with SG having already made a decision he probably regrets its worrying. If his mate over the park gets a load of lolly its only natural he will want his pockets filled.

The jury is still out on the Spanish connection I just hope they're players and not Flamenco dancers.
I'll take on board yer problem but not yer anger
If it aint funny it aint right
I used to have an avatar of a girl rubbing her breasts but it was considered sexist - guys can you just imagine
Still waitin for the call for the ELITE MEMBERS DISCUSSION (forms in the post?)
kindaconfuzed
LFC Elite Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:22 am

Jesus H Christ, you people are joking right?

We have played four games of the new season, we have secured Champions League football, and had a slow start to the season, but is it time to rip the team apart? I do not think so.

REDRIDER - Cisse is nothin like Heskey, and to compare the two simply shows a lack of knowledge. Baros is not here to live up to Michael Owen, the same way that Fowler was not here to live up to Rushie, and so on. Also in what way is Milans ego inflated? If you mean cus he won the Golden boot at the Euros, then he has every right to think highly of himself. He beat Henry, Van Nostrilhair and a host of other excellent strikers to the coveted Golden boot. No mean feat my friend. You say that the Spaniards will need a season to acclimatise, get real. They will be well adapted to the Premiership in a couple of months, they came from the Spanish league, arguably the best in the World.
Your point about Stevie G is intresting, if as we are lead to beleive he was practically a Chelski player over the summer, maybe he should move on. I do not want anyone at the club who thinks they are better than the club, or who wants away. It is not about us serving Steven Gerrard, on the contrary it is about Stevie serving the club and us loyal fans.
I will give you the Kewell comment, although a little faith and he will recapture his form, class is after all permenant. Your comments on Riise tell me one thing about you. You do not go the game at all. Riise has been one of our most improved players this season, highlighted by his display against Man City when he had the most exciting english winger for years, Shaun Wright Philips, in his back pocket.

Patience is the Key redrider, but try a bit of optimism, rather than needlessly and wrongly slating the lads from pillar to post.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 106-1093504160 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:29 am

expectations at anfield are always high each season, so its a little frustrating when the lads stutter. we wish them well though
106-1093504160

Postby laza » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:32 am

Personally i think we should give the Stevie G leaving hysteria a rest.
He made a decision, im sure he didnt base that on the fact we would never lose another game and would be overnight champions of EPL and Europe.
Yet every downcast face after a loss breaks out another round of speculation of when he is leaving.
Though if he does decide to further his career elsewhere then im sure the Pool after the Owen experience will get a very good price for him and the club will continue on just like it has dont countless times before
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:49 am

I agree. Even if our club underperform this season, I still love them. Those who think is a shame or embarrass to be an LFC fan can move on and find yourself another club to cheer for. Its still very early in the season and we are losing support from our fans already. What a shame..... :angry:
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby 106-1093504160 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:56 am

not from me, ive supported lfc for 35yrs without compromise
106-1093504160

Postby redirish » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:34 pm

Leonmc good post totaly 100% and judge just like myself 35years a fan of LFC. Remember Jimmy Case Phil Neal Ray clemance subersub Keggan and Toshack playin upfront. To all the younger members of the forum if you havent seen clips of the Reds in the old days get your hands on them :) To the people who are writing us of already will all of you think about what you are saying and kop on to yourself :alien:
redirish

Postby JBG » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:18 pm

I agree with bits of Redrider's post but would be more inclined to go with what Leon's saying.

We will not win the league this year and there is a hell of a lot of hard work ahead of us, but we have to remain positive. I think the number 1 objective for Benitez this year is to get a settled side out playing the kind of football he wants them to play. This won't happen overnight but with the right attitude and a lot of hard work there is no reason why the team should motor along nicely to Christmas with a gradual improvement thereafter.

The main objective is to be competive both at home and in Europe this season, and to close the gap between us and the top three.

If Benitez earns his corn he'll have the team looking like its going places by the end of the season, as opposed to Gerrard's Houllier's last two seasons when the side's form was all over the place. 4th place again this season wouldn't be the end of the world provided the gap between us and the leaders has narrowed and its clear that we are a "coming side".

I'm not saying I'm happy with 4th place but nothing can be gained now by people throwing their toys out of the pram saying that we should sack the manager if that happens.

The major theme of this season muct be "progress".
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion