A good point well put!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ckay » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:04 pm

PARRY BEMUSED BY NEILL DECISION
Paul Eaton 25 January 2007 

Rick Parry has hit back at Lucas Neill's claim that Rafael Benitez didn't make a big enough effort to bring him to Anfield. 
The Liverpool boss was hoping to add Neill to his squad during this month's transfer window but the player instead opted to sign a contract with West Ham, citing lack of personal contact from Benitez as one of his reasons.

"I don't know who was on the other end of the telephone talking to Rafa when I was sat next to him, but I'm quite sure it was Lucas Neill," said Parry.

“The decision by Lucas not to accept our terms after we agreed a fee with Blackburn will bemuse many fans.

“Players make their decisions and while you are sometimes surprised, you have to move on to the next one.

“Neill had the choice between Liverpool and West Ham, we were offering him the opportunity of Champions League football.

“What we want are players with an instinctive desire to play for Liverpool. We want people with a real passion to come here and help us win trophies.

“Clearly, there will always be a chance for players to earn well if they do well.”

“However, at the end of the day it is up to the individual to decide what is best for his career.

“From our side, we never want to be in a position where someone is only coming here for the money. A player has to be driven by something more than that. Because of the stature, history and ambition of Liverpool, there should be no need for us to sell the merits of this club.

“It’s Neill’s decision and it’s his future. It has happened before and it will happen again.”
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:15 pm

I liked that words.

Neill seems to have 2 problems, one, he cares about money mainly, two, he doesn't trust his own capabilities.

A player cannot think of himself that he cannot make it. If he does, then he's a loser. And we don't want those.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Anfield rapper » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:52 pm

The thing i like about all this, is that it gives the game against West Ham a bit more meaning and a bit of an edge. We can hopefully put them deeper into relegation trouble and at the end of the season when he is trying to get away from them he will look like a tit and have to accept half of what he's on. Make him look bad boys. :)
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby CardinalRed » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:00 pm

Didn't Lee Bowyer do the same thing a few years back? I know it's a lot of dosh Neill has gone for but he was gonna be on 1.75million a year at Anfield, surely when you're earning that much it becomes about what you can achieve rather than the extra 500k he'll get at Upton Park?
Hope he enjoys himself in the Championship next year, bet he can't wait for the trips to Colchester and Hull City..........!!!

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:11 pm

he isnt even all that great

i for one am happy to see him not coming

hes an ausie for starters, they are notorious for being :censored:.
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby EddieC » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:22 pm

CardinalRed wrote:Didn't Lee Bowyer do the same thing a few years back? I know it's a lot of dosh Neill has gone for but he was gonna be on 1.75million a year at Anfield, surely when you're earning that much it becomes about what you can achieve rather than the extra 500k he'll get at Upton Park?
Hope he enjoys himself in the Championship next year, bet he can't wait for the trips to Colchester and Hull City..........!!!

I'm pretty sure Houllier decided he didn't want Bowyer, not vice-versa.

Also, Neill has a relegation clause in his contract, so expect to see him in the prem again next season, although he's missed his opportunity now to go to a decent club. Will probably end up with the bitters or a club of similar standing.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:30 pm

EddieC wrote:
CardinalRed wrote:Didn't Lee Bowyer do the same thing a few years back? I know it's a lot of dosh Neill has gone for but he was gonna be on 1.75million a year at Anfield, surely when you're earning that much it becomes about what you can achieve rather than the extra 500k he'll get at Upton Park?

I'm pretty sure Houllier decided he didn't want Bowyer, not vice-versa.

Also, Neill has a relegation clause in his contract, so expect to see him in the prem again next season, although he's missed his opportunity now to go to a decent club. Will probably end up with the bitters or a club of similar standing.

Probably end up at Derby, just to be in the same situation the following season. Glad he didn't come. We want people to play for the club, not a wage packet. Look at Ballack!!!!
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby EddieC » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:32 pm

ckay wrote:Look at Ballack!!!!

I'd rather not if it's all the same  :D
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Marianne » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:41 pm

it is a funny decision that hes made..erm.. relegation, or champions league footy mmmmm...
Oh Gerro we love you
Marianne

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:43 pm

Sabre wrote:I liked that words.

Neill seems to have 2 problems, one, he cares about money mainly, two, he doesn't trust his own capabilities.

A player cannot think of himself that he cannot make it. If he does, then he's a loser. And we don't want those.

Couldn't agree more, mate....

I for one was very hesitant bout us signing him as I never realy him as a player.... to rash and can be a liability should he get a rush of blood to the head.... whcich in his case is likely to happen more rather than not....

Good thing for us that he showed his true colors before we made the mistake of signing him....
ConnO'var

Postby red37 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:44 pm

ConnO'var wrote:Good thing for us that he showed his true colors before we made the mistake of signing him....

There's more than a dash of irony in that statement Conn.....you'd be forgiven for suggesting the notion of a sound sense of judgement wasnt entirely prevalent throughout the long-drawn out process of securing Neill's services..I mean, its not as though the lad offered any hints as to his preferred destination, is it. When he mistakenly assumed Anfield was the 'Retirement home under the radiant glow of the Rainbow's end' he so obviously expected it to be?  Thank the lord he appears to have a Gob as capacious as his clearly underwhelmed wallet..and a will and integrity as changeable as the weather, now his actual reson detre has been revealed.

Not Liverpool fodder im afraid. But thanks for the Heads-up anyway Lucas.  Best of Luck in the Championship, im certain your (loyalties) will be appreciated there. You might want to have a look at your Priorities next time though...a bit suss they are mate  :;):

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby azriahmad » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:44 pm

Sure he would have a relegation clause that he could leave if West Ham were relegated and a Premiership club or other top flight European club were to make an offer for him. The question is that will he be able to command the same 60,000 pounds per week that he got at West Ham? Maybe not, smart this is not!
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby spion » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:11 pm

The comments coming out of Anfield are little more than sour grapes regarding Neill. We need to get over it. An excellent utility player he may be but its not like we lost Maradona.
spion

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:50 am

He has a release clause in his contract. Should West Ham be relegated, he is free to leave for £500k.

Shame his motivation surrounds monetary, rather than footballing, success.

Stupid barsteward.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:13 am

Never wanted him at the club anyway; would he really have added anything?
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion