A few questions....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Sun May 20, 2007 8:36 pm

Along the same lines as the "friday five" feature that we used to have.

1. Loser's medals: what's the point?

2. Robbie Fowler: should he have come back to Anfield, or would he have been better staying away and thus preserving his status as a Liverpool legend?

3. Apart from Everton in '95, the FA Cup has been won by ourselves, Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal for the last 15 years. Is this how it's going to be forever, the 'big' four constantly winning it? Or will they increasingly concentrate on the CL and Premiership and treat the FA Cup the same as they do the League Cup?

4. Mourinho holding up six fingers yesterday: would you like a Liverpool manager to do something similar or does it smack of arrogance?

5. Two points between the top four sides in Spain at the moment with 4 games left. Can you see the Premiership becoming as exciting anytime soon, or will there always be a massive gap between first/second and third/fourth?
Last edited by stmichael on Sun May 20, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Sun May 20, 2007 8:42 pm

1: losers medals... dunno why. they are good, but should be sent out by post. If we did lose on wednesday though, a losers medal in the champions league is still a massive achievement!!!

2: Robbie fowler will always be a legend, regardless of whether or not he came back. He chose to come back, he had all the money in the world from his savvy business and just wanted to be part of the club he loved. Personally i dont think he should have left as early as he did, but he did, and its history now

the fa cup. its funny how everyone says that the big teams dont respect the cup any more becuase of money elsewhere, whch is obviosuly baloney. Ive always said that a champs league place should be brought for the fa cup winners, then wed see the cup back to its glory days as the best cup in football.

4: Maureen stinks of arrogance. i dont care if people say he has made the league better. i think hes a horrible person who has ruined football. when people talk more about the manager than the players then if you ask me the manager isnt doing his job. cant wait for him to leave (william hill are 1/7 for him not to be cheatski manager next term.

5:the premiership will get its excitement back, but not for a while. i can see the battle of the big four widenig to 6 or 7. Spurs finished 5th for the 2nd season running. arsenal could be in trouble if wenger leaves or could bloom like feck, u can never tell. i think it comes down to us to bridge the ga tho, which hopefully we'll do next season
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Sun May 20, 2007 9:43 pm

To show your acheivements throughout the game. I can't say it's nice on the day of a final to go and collect a loser's medal but I bet when your retired you'll look back at the medal and realise what a great acheivement it was to reach it. When the Milan players threw theirs away a couple of years ago I thought they were arrogant bas.tards.

2. Robbie Fowler: should he have come back to Anfield, or would he have been better staying away and thus preserving his status as a Liverpool legend?

Deffo should of come back. It would of ate away at him for years that he was not allowed to say a proper goodbye under Houllier. Rafa pulled a master stroke bringing him back. I'll be forever thankful to Rafa for that.

He's still a legend.

3. Apart from Everton in '95, the FA Cup has been won by ourselves, Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal for the last 15 years. Is this how it's going to be forever, the 'big' four constantly winning it? Or will they increasingly concentrate on the CL and Premiership and treat the FA Cup the same as they do the League Cup?

Its got a bit more magic about it than the League Cup but I'm afraid the Prem and the Champions League is where the money's at so naturally the clubs will treat them as a higher priority. I don't think Rafa values the F.A Cup in any serious way. Its a novelty cup now. A shame but true. As for the big four just winning it, I expect that to change soon, next season perhaps.

4. Mourinho holding up six fingers yesterday: would you like a Liverpool manager to do something similar or does it smack of arrogance?

He's a cu.nt in my eyes. He's entertaining don't get me wrong, but that and his arrogance is all he's got going for him. Wenger, Rafa, Fergie, are all far better managers than him in my eyes. He's very tactically inept and he gets no praise from me for winning the league with the billionares team. He done well with Porto but he'd struggle at most clubs. Thats why I wanted him to go to Real, to get found out.

Rafa wouldn't do it, simple as.

5. Two points between the top four sides in Spain at the moment with 4 games left. Can you see the Premiership becoming as exciting anytime soon, or will there always be a massive gap between first/second and third/fourth?

Arsenal are slipping for me. Us, United and Chelsea are the only teams capable of managing a sustained title challenge. So effectively its a three horse race.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun May 20, 2007 9:45 pm

stmichael wrote:Along the same lines as the "friday five" feature that we used to have.

1. I think they are called second place medals, so yes.

2. They say "never go back", but I am happy that he came back as the fans got to say goodbye. Will stay with him forever.

3. Probably, as in everything it has all become about money. Unfortunately!

4. I am not sure Moureen doing that is about arrogance as much as insecurity. I guarantee that he views this season as a faliure.

5. Go back to question three.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun May 20, 2007 9:50 pm

You never know how the future is going to be and some ex-players entered bankrupcy after retiring. You could earn some money selling it in e-bay. Other than that, useless.

IMHO he has done his job. I wish he could have played more, though. ANyway his return was necessary, because he should have never left, and signing him up was a bit like saying "you shouldn't have ever be gone"

Money will rule the football and new Chelseas might appear. I think there's going to be more alternatives than  in the past, just like it's happening in Spain.

Mourinho is pathetic. When you raise the big ears one, you don't have to show anything else.

Yes I do.
Last edited by Sabre on Sun May 20, 2007 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kunilson » Sun May 20, 2007 10:13 pm

part of a tradition, a useless tradition it may be but is there any other kind? as a player i would not enjoy going to get a medal for losing a match. insulting is what i would think it is....but if ur part of a final like istanbul maybe its worth remembering even if u lost :p

i am glad he came back because of "that" feeling i got when i heard the news, he scored goals that mattered and also, he deserved a proper goodbye to the fans.....which he got, even if ticket protests were the thunder-stealing event of the day....

i think because of the tradition the fa cup has it will always be treated with more respect.....and will always be a fallback trophy to win if the other 2 major cups dont go according to plan.

a liverpool manager would never do half the things he does...if he did it would not be well received to put it lightly....

i can see it being closer....the :censored: and us have the quality to be closer. the winning points tally has gotten smaller the past three years, from 95 to 91 to 89. I think that maybe a refelection of stiffer competition from not only the top teams, but the teams that want to break through into the top tier also......consistancy is the key.
Sevilla became more consistant this year, as did Valencia which is why the title race is so much closer this time around, along with dips in performances by real and barca. Like it or not the cups like FA cup and Champions League play a huge part in the domestic title race also, and that is why the title race will always be interesting, its not like the 90's when the scum had noticeably better quality than the rest....us and the :censored: can be up there. Just need some luck and the right mentality.
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 20, 2007 10:38 pm

No point. First is first second is nowhere. Having said that I only have one medal for football and thats a losers.

Definitely the right thing coming back, gave us all the thrill of seeing him scoring again, and allowed us to give him the send off he deserved. Legend !

The FA cup is still special and still an important trophy, but its prestige will dwindle without either a bumper winners cheque or CL qualification

Mourinho showed a total lack of class, he even carried the trophy down the steps which I have never seen before. I actually think he's a very good manager, who just lets himself down with his clueless comments and acting like a spoiled brat.

No, too many clubs are frightened of the drop and "doing a Leeds" to invest heavily in the players required to challenge. Only Spurs, Newcastle, Everton and Man city have the fan base required.
account deleted by request

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon May 21, 2007 12:23 am

1. Consolation, nothing more.

2. He was right to come back, to say goodbye properly

3. The "Big Four" will dominate

4. I wouldn't like a LFC manager to do that.

5. It will continue as it is. The Big Four, then a secondary group of Everton, Villa, Spurs and Newcastle. Then the rest. 
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon May 21, 2007 12:44 am

1. For a club like LFC, whose players regularly win trophies and medals, loser's medals are pretty meaningless. But don't forget there are so many clubs out there for whom getting to finals is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Think about when clubs from the lower leagues get to the League Cup or FA Cup final - when Sunderland got to the final against us in 1992, it was a huge achievement, and the pinnacle of the careers of many of those players. Ditto Tranmere's run to the final of the League Cup in 2000 - their first and still only ever major final appearance.

2. Ask us again after Wednesday. :D

3. More often than not probably, but it's that x-factor of years when teams outside the big 4 go on a run that keeps the magic in place. From 1992 on Sunderland, Everton, West Ham, Newcastle (twice), Millwall, Southampton, Villa, Middlesbrough and Sheffield Wednesday have all made the final - the competition just needs another Wimbledon-like performance in the final from a lesser team to bring the spark back I reckon.

4. I'm personally hoping Rafa has reason to hold six fingers up in Maureen's face when we next play them. At the moment, we have the most chilled manager in the Prem, and it just wouldn't suit him to do something like that. Leave that to the players for now. :D

5. I actually thought this season would be a lot tighter between the top 4, but our terrible start, coupled with Arsenal's erratic form (mainly down to Henry's absence, in truth) made it a non-starter on that front. I think the potential is there for a very close title race in the next couple of years - the top 4 are all capable of beating one another, which is half the battle from that point of view.
ivor_the_injun

Postby egyptian liverpoolian » Mon May 21, 2007 1:45 am

this football alwayes there areloser and winer

Robbie still Robbie if he forget us we will not

we win the FA in the last year and we will do something good in EPL next seson

rafa is a wise man :eyebrow

but there is no any spanish team in CL final i think it will be in the next seson

--------------------------------------
thak it advise from brother
don't let FRUSTRATION  play with you
my real name is mostafa
i am muslim, arab , egyptian
and i adore liverpool
egyptian liverpoolian

Postby stmichael » Mon May 21, 2007 11:15 am

My thoughts for what it's worth:

1. I know the team may have lost the final, but it is an achievement to get there, especially for a team that may have had few hopes of getting beyond the earlier rounds (West Ham last year for example). It won't feel like much of a consolation 15 minutes after they've just been beaten, but it is some kind of a reward for their hard work.

2. I'm glad he came back, no matter what has happened he would always have been remembered as a legend, and I think in his time here he's cemented that legacy just by playing what will hopefully be his last competitive match in our colours (and I say mention that because you can't call Scottish football competitive )

3. The problem lies with the fact that the top 4 clubs have quality squads, not just first teams, and a lot of the team they can bring in 6 or 7 reserve/youth/whatever players and still be good enough to beat most teams in the Premiership. The rest can only counter this by having good players themselves - but how many top players around Europe are willing to move to a club over here that's not in the CL? The top 4 over here can get away with rotation and what have you, even if they are prioritising (like we obviously have done since January, by ignoring the domestic cups) one trophy or another. It could change, but not for a while yet IMO.

4. I wouldn't mind Robbie doing it if he ever gets a chance to visit Old Trafford again (assuming we win on Wednesday) , but I wouldn't ever want one of our managers to do it, in fact I'm sure they wouldn't because there's a certain amoount of class expected from managers here, and the current incumbent is the classiest of the lot.

5. Yes, next season hopefully. In fact this gap of your that supposedly exists between 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th, has only appeared this season, last year (and the year before) it was Chelsea then the other 3 such was their quality. We're a goal-scorer short of a real challenge IMO, and if when we get him in the summer, we'll be closer next year. As will Arsenal who should have better luck with their injuries next year.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby radun5 » Mon May 21, 2007 11:36 am

My guess is loser's medals can be a consolation, and as some of you pointed out already it can be the only medal in the whole career for players at smaller clubs. Being part of a great competition final should be rewarded.

He is a legend, I think his status as a legend has grown, as he showed again how much he loves this club. Plus he had the exit he was waiting for... sorry I should put this in future tense, as in Wednesday :buttrock

It is about the quality of the squads, about the respect shown by the top teams (especially after they pass the first rounds) to the oldest comp in the world, and about a way to save the season if the big clubs are trophyless (remember us last season ?). Normally it will continue, but to a lesser extent as more and more teams become capable of beating the top four teams now and then.

Short answer: No. Never. Arrogance is not for LFC.

The top four in Premiership can be as close as that at the end of the season, it is all about having similar starts and similar luck in the first part of the season.
radun5

Postby Sem » Mon May 21, 2007 9:09 pm

Hmmmmm, this looks pretty familar.

Good evening all by the way.
Sem

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue May 22, 2007 4:25 am

Sem wrote:Hmmmmm, this looks pretty familar.

Sem from TalkLfc.

I just knew it.
66-1112520797

Postby Sem » Tue May 22, 2007 7:13 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
Sem wrote:Hmmmmm, this looks pretty familar.

Sem from TalkLfc.

I just knew it.

My reputation preceeds me I see  :cool:

If anyone is wondering what I was talking about in my first post, it's the fact stmichael here lifted those questions from Talklfc, and then passed someone elses answers off as his own!

I have PM'd him asking if he understood what the term plagiarise means, but I've had no reply.  So I'll ask again.  In public.

How sad can you get?  At least credit where you got the questions from.  Or do you have some kind of 'street cred' you need to uphold?
Sem

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion