World snooker championships - Bit late now

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Big Niall » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:16 am

I disagree.

I think the average housewife twenty years ago knew Steve Davis,Alex Higgins and Jimmy White. I don't think she'd know a single modern player (if you exclude Ronnie who came along over a decade ago)

I don't even know who the champion is now, yet in 1985 20 million stayed up until about 1am to watch the final on BBC2 (which i still think is a viewing record for the channel).
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:39 pm

the world champ is john higgins (but since he's out there will be a new one this year). I do class meself as a snooker fan and i do know several of the players from the modern era by name anyway. maybe the average housewife couldn't, but "fans" could.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:40 pm

can't wait for the liang-o'sullivan match. safety will not be a problem.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Number 9 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:46 pm

The conclusion to Swail vs Laing match was brilliant veiwing last night!Very tense,what an (almost) comeback!

I dont like that Laing fella,see him celebrating when he was 12-10 up,just a little premature.Then swail got the snooker with only 2 balls on the table!

Anyway i hope Ronnie hammers him and id be very surprised if anything else happens!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:32 pm

O'Sullivan for me.

Though i admit to having a soft spot for Ebdon (the modern day Thorburn in terms of style). That might be less spectacular to watch...but i absolutely love the strategic side of the sport and he can grind em down like the best of em. Some of the older generation were great characters in the game. The seventies/eighties were class...then the Hendry years came along and things went off the boil a bit. But kudos to Ronnie - a true Snooker genius!

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:54 pm

liang won opening 2 frames against ronnie, it's now 2-2 mid-session interval. liang wouldn't know safety if it bit him on his baulk line.

liang-swail, final frame was a little dodgy to say the least. "unprofessional" and "cheat" are some words being used towards liang after he failed to get out of a snooker first time but managed it second time thanks to the cue ball being half an inch further up the table. for me all parties are to blame, liang should of told the ref it was further back, the ref should of checked the monitor to make sure and swail should of had a proper look to see if the ref put the cue ball in right place. a balls up by all IMO
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Number 9 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:01 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:liang won opening 2 frames against ronnie, it's now 2-2 mid-session interval. liang wouldn't know safety if it bit him on his baulk line.

liang-swail, final frame was a little dodgy to say the least. "unprofessional" and "cheat" are some words being used towards liang after he failed to get out of a snooker first time but managed it second time thanks to the cue ball being half an inch further up the table. for me all parties are to blame, liang should of told the ref it was further back, the ref should of checked the monitor to make sure and swail should of had a proper look to see if the ref put the cue ball in right place. a balls up by all IMO

Swail cant really complain now,he should NEVER have missed that brown in the last frame!
The pressure got to him in the end! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:03 pm

Number 9 wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:liang won opening 2 frames against ronnie, it's now 2-2 mid-session interval. liang wouldn't know safety if it bit him on his baulk line.

Swail cant really complain now,he should NEVER have missed that brown in the last frame!
The pressure got to him in the end! :D

:nod

leaving the swail-liang match and onto ebdon carter anybody else thing Ali Carter looks a bit like bolton forward Kevin Davies?
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:25 pm

get neil foules out of the studio, he's one boring git.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:09 am

ali carter has made a maximum...so ronnie has to share the prize money :laugh: he's gonna be livid :laugh:
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Fri May 02, 2008 2:37 pm

ronnie is giving hendry a snookering lession...he's winning 12-4 and that's after hendry leading 4-1.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Dundalk » Fri May 02, 2008 2:40 pm

First time Hendry has ever lost a full session at the World Championships
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri May 02, 2008 2:41 pm

Big Niall wrote:Why do you think people who aren't fans can name about 10 players from the 1980s but only Ronnie o'sullivan of the last decade (and even he came around about a decade ago)?

We all loved Davis,Higgins,white,Taylor,Thorburn etc

They were all unique characters back in the 80's.

Now they are all boring, except for O'Sullivan.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sun May 04, 2008 10:20 pm

Ronnie's doing the business.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun May 04, 2008 10:49 pm

11-5 to o'sullivan in final. his safety play has been as good as i've ever seen it.
god_bless_john_houlding

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum