Wireless?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Ciggy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:14 am

Hey guys having probs with my internet Ive got a wireless modem in the pc, the internet just switches itself off and wont connect anymore.

Could this be cause someone else is using my wireless internet?

I have a Wanadoo box with phone so when my internet goes off I lose my phone connection aswell.

So I really need to figure it out incase someone needs to get intouch with me from England.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:24 am

if anyone is stealing it cigs you would just notice it slow down and not go off, i have mine secured at home so only people with the password can use my wireless.

also my wireless is separate to the phone, although it goes down the phone line it is not affected if my phone is off and vice versa.

i think you need to contact them as it sounds like a fault with the provider, seems like their lines keep dropping
112-1077774096

Postby Ciggy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:41 am

But if I use my PDA in the house I can connect to loads of peoples networks from my house, the neighbours etc.
Maybe conflicting networks I duno.
But I need this sorted I still think someone is using my internet.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:47 am

it has a 30 meter radius and if you leave it unsecured then someone could well be using it, called the provider and they will tell you how to secure it, although if many people round there have unsecured wireless the person will just start to use one of theirs.

do you turn your wireless off when you go out? if you leave it on all the time people can use it all the time, if they notice its off most of the time they will start to use someone elses. but personally i think you should just secure itand it solves the problem if anyone is using it
112-1077774096

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:07 am

Type 192.168.2.1 into your address bar that should take you to the setup and security options screen.  Its pretty easy to set up your security from there, just make sure you use a long password with both letters and numbers (write it down and keep it somewhere safe)

Use WPA or wpa(2) if you can, if not use WEP.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby Ciggy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:34 am

peewee wrote:it has a 30 meter radius and if you leave it unsecured then someone could well be using it, called the provider and they will tell you how to secure it, although if many people round there have unsecured wireless the person will just start to use one of theirs.

do you turn your wireless off when you go out? if you leave it on all the time people can use it all the time, if they notice its off most of the time they will start to use someone elses. but personally i think you should just secure itand it solves the problem if anyone is using it

The computers are left on all the time for DL and sometimes I just forget to turn it off, the reason I think someone else is using it is cause aaron had wireless upstairs and the same thing happened all the timeand I got a list of different internet providers to use and names.
Even though I only used our own provider I couldnt figure out why these strange names where in our pc.
Until I put the bluetooth on and the same happened with other peoples internet providers.

Ive only just had this network card put in this pc for the wireless because Ive moved the pc to another room and the cables done my head in.
So its a bit sus that the same thing is happening upstairs aswell as down.

Saint I cant access my Orange serverice provider it says website not found? and what is WPA and Wep  :sniffle

Also my internet is connected to my sat receiver.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:37 am

you computer will pick up every available wireless network in a 30 meter radius, the same for any others cigs, so you neighbours will see the same available networks as you, if you secure it they will still be able to see your network but they will also see a padlock on it shoeing its locked and secure.

its normal to see many wireless networks available depending on if you live in a densly populated area
112-1077774096

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:42 am

WEP and WPA are the encryption for your network security

64-bit WEP (Wired Equivalent Protection). The original wireless encryption standard, it is now outdated. The main problem with it is that it can be easily "cracked." Cracking a wireless network means defeating the encryption so that you can establish a connection without being invited.

• 128-bit WEP. An updated, more secure version of the original WEP. However, skilled attackers can still crack 128-bit WEP in a few hours or less, giving them access to your network.

• WPA-PSK (also known as WPA-Personal). A more secure alternative to WEP, but because it is newer, it is not as widely supported. Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 supports WPA, so this type of encryption is the best choice if you plan to connect only Windows XP computers to your wireless network. However, if you have wireless devices that don't support WPA, such as media extenders or wireless cameras, you'll have to use WEP on your network instead.

You might also see the security method called "WPA-Enterprise." As the name suggests, this method of network encryption is designed for business use. Setup for WPA-Enterprise is more complex than for other types of encryption, and it requires special network infrastructure.

• WPA2. The newest type of wireless encryption, WPA2 provides the highest level of encryption available. WPA2 encryption should be your first choice if your wireless router and all of your wireless computers and devices support it.

Even though one type of encryption may be better than another, any type will dramatically improve your network's security by making you a more difficult target.

Sorry I have no idea about SAT receivers Ciggy.

Postby Ciggy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:44 am

peewee wrote:you computer will pick up every available wireless network in a 30 meter radius, the same for any others cigs, so you neighbours will see the same available networks as you, if you secure it they will still be able to see your network but they will also see a padlock on it shoeing its locked and secure.

its normal to see many wireless networks available depending on if you live in a densly populated area

Oh right I didnt know that, but what about my sat receiver if I lock my wireless thingamajig  :D

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:46 am

Ciggy wrote:thingamajig

over to you s@int, she is getting too technical for me now

:laugh:
112-1077774096

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:56 am

but what about my sat receiver if I lock my wireless thingamajig

I think you will be ok, its from your sat receiver to your wireless accessory that is your problem (if it is security)

You can choose the option not to broadcast your network under SSID. Not secure protection but at least no one can see it.

Postby Ciggy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:11 am

Thanx for your help Saint but I still havent got a clue :D

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:20 am

I don't really know much anyway Ciggy, you need to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about. Maybe Sabre ?

Postby Sabre » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:01 pm

:D

Erm, the advices of my mates are  correct, it's unlikely those cuts are due to someone else using your wireless, they normally slow you down, but do not reset your connection.

But it can be a number of things, and without the model of your router/modem I cannot do much from here. But it seems to me that the blame is in your internet service provider, not the wireless itself.

Sometimes when ADSL or cable lines are overused this kind of cut offs and problems to synchronize are normal, the best thing you can do in those situations is to call the internet service provider. That's painstaking because they'll make you loads of silly questions, but it seems the most likely problem.

If you want more help, you'd have to tell me

a) what model is the device they gave you to access the internet (router/modem)

b) What lights it has, and when it goes off, how are this lights.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:03 pm

Hi Sabre,

Grrrrrr its been off for hours again  :angry: :D

3 lights remain on the Wanadoo box when it switches itself off, my Wanadoo box is in an another room not by this pc.

The card is Asus 54mbit PCI and Asus Wireless-G USB stick 54 mb.
Just copied this off the reciept I havent got a clue what it means :D

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum