Wireless?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Sabre » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:11 pm

Those sticks

Are sometimes not very reliable when it comes to be wireless netword cards. Some brands tend to switch to another network (your neighbour's for instance) if you don't configure it to be fixed. But the fact you say Aaron's computer experiences the same problem suggests the problem is elsewhere.

Before I continue, Does your wanadoo box look like this?

Last edited by Sabre on Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:15 pm

I know this may sound stupid or unhelpful, but if you have a shared network or have had something else plugged into the router lately, have you tried turning it on and off and leaving it for a few minutes? Sometimes it reconfigures the IP address and that could be the cause of lack of connectivity. My PC does it.

Then again, wireless is a different ballgame, and everyone I have know to have it has had problems. It's a pain in the a*s.

I
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:20 pm

Emerald Red wrote:I know this may sound stupid or unhelpful, but if you have a shared network or have had something else plugged into the router lately, have you tried turning it on and off and leaving it for a few minutes? Sometimes it reconfigures the IP address and that could be the cause of lack of connectivity. My PC does it.

Then again, wireless is a different ballgame, and everyone I have know to have it has had problems. It's a pain in the a*s.

I

It's not stupid nor unhelpful. In fact turning off and on again is something we all should try first.

The problem is that I preffer to ask step by step because it can be a number of reasons, it can be that you must turn it off and on, it can be a DNS failure of wanadoo (if the lights are on it means there's a connection) or it can be a virus (but normally then it doesn't come back alone after some hours.

The main suspect is still wanadoo, around here, the company with worse reputation. Before you continue giving info Ciggy,

KEEP YOUR WIRELESS SCOUSE!! French companies are shíte :D
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:32 pm

I got a wireless router last week so we could use the laptop as well as the PC for surfing - absolute godsend.

I definitely concur with the point about switching the modem and router off to reset. It was a really quick setup, and the only problem I had was that the modem wasn't quite in sync with the router until I switched it off for a minute.

Another idea on security is to name your network something that would put people off trying to use your connection. My brother-in-law in the US calls his "IRS Audit", and a mate at work goes with "Herts Police Web Tracking". Definitely, definitely make your network password-protected though.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Ciggy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:50 pm

Sabre wrote:Those sticks

Are sometimes not very reliable when it comes to be wireless netword cards. Some brands tend to switch to another network (your neighbour's for instance) if you don't configure it to be fixed. But the fact you say Aaron's computer experiences the same problem suggests the problem is elsewhere.

Before I continue, Does your wanadoo box look like this?

Back again after no connection :D

Yes Sab's the box is the same as that one in the picture, I have reset the box about 12 times today already for 10 seconds.

I dont know for how long I will remain online as its clicking on and off more than ever now.

Thanx anyway mate.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum