Wireless - Some help needed!

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby kazza 1 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:50 pm

Reinas No.1 Fan wrote:hmmmm, wireless always causes problems.

Theres not usually any security on routers when you buy it, meaning you dont have to mess around with the settings of the router itself.

It maybe you have the wrong type of router, you may have bought an ADSL router which isnt compatiable with NTL, which is cable.

what is the full name of the router.

Right the name of the router is Philips Wireless Router SNB5600 and it also has a dongle (SNU5600) which we dont need to use.
My Laptop is an EI-System, that is wireless enabled.

Now we cant find the bloody programme in the main computer to uninstall it!!! I need some real serious help here. I'm ready for throwing the laptop out the window. Its starting to look like I'm gonna have to pay someone to install it for me!!!
Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:10 pm

If you want to start all over again Kazza1. Take the connector to the router out of your PC. Then take the plug to the MODEM out of the wall.This will reset your modem. If you want you can then do a system restore( PROBABLY NOT A GOOD IDEA AFTER A WEEK) If you then insert your setup wizzard disk, you will see an option to restore ROUTER to factory condition. You can then start from scratch again.
account deleted by request

Postby kazza 1 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:41 pm

Thanks... will give it a go!!! :bowdown
Gone but never forgotten
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:02 am

Nah its not your wireless router. its simpler than that i reckon.

Your laptop tells you that you are connected to the network, see the symbol in the bottom right corner of your desktop shows you the signal strength. But when you open the browser (Eg. Internet Explorer(IE)) it says page cannot be displayed.

2 possibilities
1) Simple setting in IE
2) Your router is not automatically assigning you an IP address (bit harder to fix)

1 - goto to the tool tab in IE. scroll down to internet options, and click on the connections tab, then click lan settings. I suspect you have it set-up for a proxy server at work. So when you get home just click on automatically detect settings - then when you get back to work click on the proxy server. walah!

2 - For this one you need to assign the ip address of you router in your network settings. More difficult, but i will explain how if 1 does not work.

Well, if she sent the laptop to the shop and got the network, and connected to their internet it cannot be IE configuration.

Also, is she sent the router and they connected a computer to the router without troubles, it cannot be the router.

The problem might be as simple as it happened in a friend's house last week, there are just so many wireless connections in an area, that the laptop just picks one of the neighbourhood first before the proper one. In the bottom right wireless icon, what wireless networks are available?
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:47 am

Did you swap over from a USB connection to an Ethernet one? if so then you may just have to unplug your main modem for a few mins then plug back in, reboot afterwards this may help. I got my kids a wireless for the other pc we have and i had trouble with that one.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza 1 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:00 am

Is this on the laptop sabre?? My laptop is not picking up any wireless at all!! Even though everything is set up.

We got an ethernet cable with the router. We took the internet connection from the back of the computer and put it in the back of the router and the ethernet cable went into the back of the computer tower just as the instructions said. We got a connection once, but we where unable to use the main computer!!!
Gone but never forgotten
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joko » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:38 am

have you plugged it into the electricity?

:p
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza 1 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:29 pm

Thanks for all your help lads, but would you believe that all we had to do was reset the router!!!! Thats me all wireless now!!! Happy Days!! :bowdown  :laugh:
Gone but never forgotten
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:40 pm

Sabre falls from his chair.

:D

I didn't consider that since you did send the router to the shop and they made it work, didn't they?

Anyway, I'm happy it's sorted out.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:52 pm

Thats great Kazza1 :D
account deleted by request

Postby kazza 1 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:14 pm

I dont know if they got it to work Sabre, but its working now!!! I did'nt even know there was a reset button on the router. My other half was in work on Saturday night and happened to say to a fella about the problems we where having getting connected and he said everything that you all said on here, then he mentioned the reset button. But we could'nt do anything about it untill tonight as NTL where doing maintenance on our cable. So when it was fixed we reset the router and set it all up and it worked 1st time!! But I want to thank everyone who gave me advice. You are all stars!!! :hearts
Gone but never forgotten
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum