Where's the best place you've been?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:06 pm

With the football season at an end and the summer holidays just beginning, I thought I'd open a thread where people can say where their favourite holiday destinations are, or have been in the past.

Or just the best place you've been to, or lived etc. anywhere really, just the best place you've been to - even if it's Butlins on a cold Autumn weekend!

The best place I've ever been to is Brampton Island in Australia, just off the coast of Queensland.

I travelled there a few years ago and to get access to the island we had to travel on a light aeroplane, there were some of the most fantastic views I've seen.

On arrival there was plenty to do, such as travelling to other nearby islands and even walking to nearby Carlisle island when the tide was out. There was also snorkelling, scuba diving, water sports, and a bloody good bar for the evening!

:D
LFC2007

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:25 pm

Good thread.

Its a toss up between two but before I say them I'd just like to give a mention to Amsterdam I think that place is an eye opener and a Damn fun one. :D 

Second I've decided is Thailand and absolute gem of a country, I visited back there in 2003 for three months of largerly where I spent my time travelling between Kho Phang Yang and Kho Samui (sp), two Islands off the east coast of Thailand. Two islands that were totally different from one an other, as Samui was very commercial and Phang Yang were I stayed was very ' real world Thailand' if you like. There is scuba diving and snorkeling to be done there, the beer and food is good and cheap and so to the women :D
But best of all was the full moon party I went to on Hadrin beach, around 3000 people on this small cove of a beach partying the night away FANTASTIC and watching the sunrise next morning from the beach was worth staying there all night for, a beautiful country.

The most interesting place I've ever been to is Bamaga in Queenslands North, I lived up there for two years and it was a complete culture shock. Everything around it was different to what I had thought and known, for starters you wouldnt even think you were connected to mainland Australia, more like one of the Torres straight islands, as the place is sooooo isolated. The people up there are great, and the things they can teach, well I had 11 year old Aborigine and islander kids showing me how to catch a fish with a spear, how to catch and ride a horse bear back, although I never did that, too hard. Most things were new to me up there it was great and the four wheel driving :O  Apparently some of the best driving tracks on the whole continent. Also the views of the Torres straight, in a small 6 seater plane looking down over all the islands dotted about over this beautiful blue sea, and the Great barrier reef can be seen from air when flying to Cairns. An amazing experiance, I bet Woof has got a few good choices too.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby Effes » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:18 am

Haven't been to loads of places but Bali was tremendous - visited a Buddhist temple
just on the edge of Java, called Borobudur.(biggest Buddhist temple in south east asia)
Got there for sunrise. Standing on the top with the sun coming up and the mist rising out
of the surrounding forest was breathtaking.

Here's what it looks like:
I recommend anyone to go there.

But agree with Bamaga Man re Amsterdam - going meself on Monday.
7th visit ???
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thingy » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:21 am

Florida. Used to live there. Weather couldnt be any better. 20 yards from the beach. Brilliant place. A butler at my beck and call.

Then my alarm clock went off :D
Thingy

Postby Redman in wales » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:23 am

as per bamaga man its a good thread and its a toss up between two...

1. Dispite being of the indie generation and loving all things brit-pop including both oasis and blur (plus pulp, sleeper, etc), I would have to say Ibiza. The clubbing seen out there a few years ago was phenominal and I've never seen or never will see anything like it again. It was absolutely incredible to go to manumission, the biggest club in the world, and be one of 10'000 people dancing then going straight onto Space where we partied through the day. Pacha was my hightlight though. While manumission, amnesia, eden and privilidge started to wind down at 5 and were practically empty by 6am, Erick Morillo kept a full capacity crowd till 7:30 in the morning, confirming his legend status and in the process, making one of the best nights of my life.

2. The second (again like bamaga man) would have to be Thailand. I went there for 3 weeks in 2002, starting in Bangkok (proably the smelliest place i've ever been), travelling up to Chang Mai in the north which included going on a 3-day trek through rainforests and up waterfalls and elephant riding. We then took an incrredibly long train ride to the south islands, to Koh Samui and Kho Phang Yang - A year later and I may have seen you Bamaga man!!!! - but it was beautiful. :cool: absolutely stunning and we spent a week there as a real relaxing holiday, sunbathing on the perfect beach, bit of snorkling in crystal clear water with the perfect weather. Just what we needed before going onto the bright lights of Hong Kong.

Would definately recommend the far north and the far south east of Thailand, picturesque and beautiful, with enough to keep you busy if you don't like beach resorts.
Last edited by Redman in wales on Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:46 am

mmm a lot of you like thailand   :D

we are looking to buy land and build a small resort in pai, northern thailand near the myanmar border, beautiful place. thailand is full of wonder but sadly sometimes i let that pass me by as i have got used to it somewhat, same with malaysia.

but i think i would plump for koh mak and koh chang in thailand, 2 islands with the most beautiful sea water you could ever wish to see (same sea as koh samui but over towards cambodia)
112-1077774096

Postby Effes » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:52 am

Another boss place is Mauritius;there's a magical little island
called Isle Ou Seorf.
The water is crystal clear and stays chest height for about 200 meters.
Its idyllic, with a fella playing guitar along the shore.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:23 am

peewee wrote:mmm a lot of you like thailand   :D

I visited Thailand about 6 or 7 years ago for christmas/new year, on new years eve there was a massive outdoor dinner/ celebration and a load of floating lanterns were lit and set off into the sky - it looked fantastic - something I'll always remember.

I've also been to Bali aswell about 10 years ago, and Florida.

I went to the Malidives in 2003 and that was spectacular, it took us 10 minutes to walk around the entire circumference of the island we were staying on! We had virtually the whole beach to ourselves.

It's an absolutely amazing place and the people are so friendly - that makes it special for me. I'd recommend the Maldives for someone who wants a little piece of their own paradise, you just can't beat it for that, there are so many islands and they are so small that you get your own little world. There's also scuba diving, snorkelling in some of the most amazing reefs in the world, water sports and deep sea fishing.

As for Ibiza Redman in Wales, my brother went there 6 or 7 years ago and he went to all the places you mentioned, citing manumission as being the best, he said you couldn't beat it for that type of holiday - unrivalled for clubbing.

As for Amsterdam, I haven't been there yet, but my brother keeps going back with mates for a few days here or there, he says its something about the "chilled" nature of the people - nothing to do with the drugs of course.  :D
LFC2007

Postby Effes » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:17 am

LFC2007 wrote:As for Amsterdam, I haven't been there yet, but my brother keeps going back with mates for a few days here or there, he says its something about the "chilled" nature of the people - nothing to do with the drugs of course.  :D

Amsterdam is a must.

I arrive on Monday 11.00am, I expect to be in another orbit by 12.30pm.
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:32 am

Puerto Pollensa - Majorca
This place is 'magical' brother.
The 4 of us go....on the..16th july -flight 8.15  :oops: We just HAVE TO GET BACK!! We werent meant to leave!!
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by Mikz on Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:02 am

My kind of thread :) . very hard to pick a favourite place as often it's also a question of "when" you were there, Thailand for example was a very different place in the mid seventies to the tourist destination it is today, as were the Seychelle islands in 1972 when they didn't have an airport ( I had to take a boat from Mombassa).

However , places I would revisit (despite the changes :D  ) would be .

1,Srinigar (Kashmir), stay in a house boat on Lake Dal and go pony trekking up into the Hindu Kush,   
(they also have some of the best hash outside of  Afghanistan  :) )

2,Mount Malanje (Malawi), not really on the tourist map but a fantastic place , the highest mountain in southern africa , teeming with wildlife from vivid black and turquoise butterflies the size of your hand through to leopards and cobra's. Climb up to a small plateau ,stay in a forest rangers hut and just kick back.

3,Thailand , everybodys favourite for a variety of reasons , all of them valid .
:D

Finally, my most memorable hotel.

It's in Quetta (nr Pakistan/Afghanistan border) despite the friendly staff , it's not all it's cracked up to be. :D , avoid it like the plague.
Last edited by woof woof ! on Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:08 am

I am thinking of the South of France or Italy this summer any recommendations guys as to where is nice?
I want to avoid holiday resorts cant be @rsed with millions of holiday makers getting p1ssed in Englund tops and Donnay flip flops.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:30 am

As others have said, good thread.

It's hard to narrow it down to one as each place offers something different. My first visit to Anfield and Liverpool in general for example was a great experience, I loved the place.

Other than that I would say either Rome or Paris. Rome woudl probably edge it due to the sheer histroy of the place. Another city which deserves an honourbale mention is Luzern in Switzerland, beautiful city in the Swiss alps on Lake Luzern.  Stayed on hotel at top of Mt.Pilatus which is right up in the alps, which has amazing views in the winter. Highest hotel in Europe I believe.

LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:36 am

Ciggy wrote:I am thinking of the South of France or Italy this summer any recommendations guys as to where is nice?
I want to avoid holiday resorts cant be @rsed with millions of holiday makers getting p1ssed in Englund tops and Donnay flip flops.

The area around Montpelier is really nice Cig . Hire at car and explore some lovely seaside places (  eg Sete ) get some great seafood ,oysters squid etc. If you drive inland for about an hour to places like Bedarieux and Saint Guillaume le Desert , you'll find the real france , it is popular with tourists but none of them are from Leeds    :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:42 am

LFC #1 wrote:As others have said, good thread.

It's hard to narrow it down to one as each place offers something different. My first visit to Anfield and Liverpool in general for example was a great experience, I loved the place.

Other than that I would say either Rome or Paris. Rome woudl probably edge it due to the sheer histroy of the place. Another city which deserves an honourbale mention is Luzern in Switzerland, beautiful city in the Swiss alps on Lake Luzern.  Stayed on hotel at top of Mt.Pilatus which is right up in the alps, which has amazing views in the winter. Highest hotel in Europe I believe.

:wwww

Isn't that the place where Ernst Blofeld (bond villain) lives ?   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to General Chat Forum