What were you doing - The morning of 9/11

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Dundalk » Fri May 02, 2008 10:42 am

What were you at when you heard the news and what were you at?

I was off that day and was just flicking through the channels when it came up on BBC. The next 36 hours I spent in front off the tele
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri May 02, 2008 10:47 am

eating, put news on then 5 mins later saw it on tv
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PhiLFC » Fri May 02, 2008 10:48 am

I was looking for a new telly in Tesco.  While I was looking the news came on about a plane hitting the first tower and while I was watching the second one got hit.  Next thing you know there were about 30 or 40 people watching.  I must've stayed there for an hour or so and then went home and did pretty much the same as you Dundalk.
PhiLFC

Postby Number 9 » Fri May 02, 2008 10:52 am

I was working out the back of a house and the woman came running out to get me to come in!
Probably the most surreal foootage i've ever seen!
At first i thought it was an accident,once the second plane hit that theory was shot to sh.it!

I hope the dirty scum that done it are suffering in hell every hour of every day! :angry:
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Fri May 02, 2008 11:00 am

i was beginning the morning shift working at the grapes on roscoe street (the best pub in liverpool if not the world about 5 or 6 years ago). a mate came in and told me they'd 'flown two planes into the world trade centre'. at first i thought it was probably a couple of little light aircraft flown by a couple of crazies - then i saw the telly...

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Fri May 02, 2008 11:04 am

what a fun day that was. dropped my mum & dad off at the airport at 5am to fly to canada, went back home and went to bed for a few hours. driving to the office it came on the radio that 2 planes had crashed and the wreckage had hit the wtc. got in the office and everybody was crammed in the conference room glued to the telly. couldn't feckin believe what i was seeing. then i remembered my mum & dad should've been somewhere half way across the atlantic at that point so spent the next few hours ringing scandinavian airlines trying to find out where the hell their flight was, had it carried on to canada or had it turned back??? poor woman at the airline didn't have a clue where the plane was so i was proper chewing her ears off. 24 hours later i finally got a phonecall from my folks who were at goose bay nato airbase in newfoundland waiting for us & canadian airspace to re-open so they could get to toronto. that was supposed to be their holiday of a lifetime and they spent the first 2 nights of it sleeping on camp beds in a nato gym hall in the middle of nowehere   :wwww
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri May 02, 2008 11:16 am

Was making a crisp butty out the back and 'she who shops' went and screamed "Oh no!!" in the sitting room...where the telly was.

First thought that came into my head was - Fake video. Like a film that had been on a few years before depicting a nuclear attack*** - the one where the television announcers and all kinds were in tears and dead upset. Because i'd missed the intro (to the film) and started watching some way in...it almost seemed real.

Well, this was the same (9/11). And like someone else just said...as soon as the second tower got hit - the penny dropped big time. It was horrific. I remember thinking at the time 'imagine if the tower collapsed'....the rest is just apocalyptic stuff of the worst nightmare.  :(

Funny enough me and the missus are going to watch WTC tonight (had it on rental from Lovefilm since Tuesday) what with the footy and all....

Never ever forget those scenes. Stained the are on my mind. Hell knows how the poor citizens of NY must have felt. R.I.P and let us not have to see the same ever again.

*** btw...anyone remember that film/doc piece? and what its name was?
Last edited by red37 on Fri May 02, 2008 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri May 02, 2008 11:31 am

in the morning nothing happened as there is a 5 hour difference so i was doing my normal stuff, however on the afternoon of 9/11 when the planes struck (UK time)i was working
112-1077774096

Postby PhiLFC » Fri May 02, 2008 11:39 am

red37 wrote:Was making a crisp butty out the back and 'she who shops' went and screamed "Oh no!!" in the sitting room...where the telly was.

First thought that came into my head was - Fake video. Like a film that had been on a few years before depicting a nuclear attack*** - the one where the television announcers and all kinds were in tears and dead upset. Because i'd missed the intro (to the film) and started watching some way in...it almost seemed real.

Well, this was the same (9/11). And like someone else just said...as soon as the second tower got hit - the penny dropped big time. It was horrific. I remember thinking at the time 'imagine if the tower collapsed'....the rest is just apocalyptic stuff of the worst nightmare.  :(

Funny enough me and the missus are going to watch WTC tonight (had it on rental from Lovefilm since Tuesday) what with the footy and all....

Never ever forget those scenes. Stained the are on my mind. Hell knows how the poor citizens of NY must have felt. R.I.P and let us not have to see the same ever again.

*** btw...anyone remember that film/doc piece? and what its name was?

Don't know which one you're after but The Miracle of Stairwell B and The Falling Man of 9/11 were two that spring to mind
PhiLFC

Postby Paul C » Fri May 02, 2008 11:44 am

Talking to my girlfriend in who lived an hour from NYC, I'd only been back in England for 3 days, pheww :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri May 02, 2008 11:47 am

was hungover... had just quit my old job. dad was actualyl watching the news and saw the whole thing while my mate kept texting me jokes about it. funny how quick these things happen, hes a writer for private eye or something so bounces stuff off me.

no one turned the channel over for days in case they missed anything
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Fri May 02, 2008 11:58 am

andy_g wrote:i was beginning the morning shift working at the grapes on roscoe street (the best pub in liverpool if not the world about 5 or 6 years ago). a mate came in and told me they'd 'flown two planes into the world trade centre'. at first i thought it was probably a couple of little light aircraft flown by a couple of crazies - then i saw the telly...

???

It was 2pm over here mate.

I was in work at the time, someone called me to tell me what they'd heard on the radio, so I went into the canteen to watch it on the telly. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen. All I could think about was Fight Club, when they floor that building at the end.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri May 02, 2008 12:02 pm

was at work and on the BBC website as it was happening we couldn't believe it. Had a friend who attended the scene as he worked as a fireman over there. I say 'had'...  you know the rest. He wasn't a close friend just someone I met when I was over there - we kept in touch.

that incident was the start of my hatred of religion and in particular Muslims.

Im not afraid to say it, they make my skin crawl.
Last edited by Roger Red Hat on Fri May 02, 2008 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri May 02, 2008 12:05 pm

PhiLFC wrote:Don't know which one you're after but The Miracle of Stairwell B and The Falling Man of 9/11 were two that spring to mind

nah phil. this goes back into the nineties the one im on about.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Woollyback » Fri May 02, 2008 12:17 pm

anyone seen the documentary made by those 2 french brothers about one of the fire crews involved on the day? the one that has the only footage of the 1st plane hitting. they were making the documentary anyway and feck me what a day to be making it :wwww  harrowing stuff that programme
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum