The Liver Bird...

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby redno7 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:41 pm

I'm booked in to have a Liver bird tattoo soon but I really like the one with the bird stood on the football. My question is...

Why do some liver birds have the football under the foot? what's the significance of it? Which should I go with...

or this... 

redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:32 pm

to my knowledge the liverbird standing on the ball has never been used in our club crest, donkeys ago we used to have triton and neptune (the gods of the sea) standing either side of a liver bird (like on the city`s coat of arms) but the council got a cob on so we just used the liver bird on a shield. i think that was between the wars or something.
a little known fact is that up until that time everton used the liverbird too, around the time the council got a cob on with us using the city crest everton decided to use the `prince ruperts tower` emblem.
prince ruperts tower is a local landmark in everton, it was there from english civil war times when prince rupert used the hills of everton as a vantage point to shell the city centre when the royalists layed siege to the city, after the civil war it was used as a prison to house drunks, rowdy sailors and hooligans.
i think the liverbird standing on the ball is just a stylised image.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redno7 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:37 pm

thanks for that, interesting stuff. I like the one with the ball... kinda says Football Club
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:13 pm

I have a tattoo on my chest of the bottom Liver Bird, but he's standing on the Letters LFC
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:08 pm

redno7 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:37 pm wrote:thanks for that, interesting stuff. I like the one with the ball... kinda says Football Club

The Liver Bird doesn't need a football under it's foot to suggest "football" . Anyone in the world with any knowledge of football would recognise it as the iconic emblem of Liverpool Football Club and if they don't then obviously even with a ball under it's foot they're still gonna be clueless.

Reminds me of the LFC "Fan" who once asked in this forum "Why does Liverpool have a Flamingo as it's emblem ?"

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:10 pm

When there was all that fuss a couple of years back with the club wanting to copyright the Liver bird I could never understand why they didn't go with the one with the football under it's foot. It differs from the symbol of the city whilst linking the football club to its home.
Still it's all water under the bridge now.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redno7 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:35 am

RUSHIE#9 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:10 pm wrote:When there was all that fuss a couple of years back with the club wanting to copyright the Liver bird I could never understand why they didn't go with the one with the football under it's foot. It differs from the symbol of the city whilst linking the football club to its home.
Still it's all water under the bridge now.

thats what I was trying to say. The one with the ball should be our emblem.
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:09 am

With a football, WTF, cheap and tacky or what. Guess you'd also want to have the R next to the bird as well. Fecks sake.
Go for the simply skinny bird like used to be on Graeme Souness's 1984 shirt.

http://www.google.com.sg/imgres?q=liver ... ,s:0,i:195
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum