Scam alert - Got this from friend of a victim

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:59 am

Xmas is coming and the postal scammers are back in force. Got this mail from a friend of a victim.

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a premium rate number). DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize.

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £15 for the phone call.
If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 02072396655 or ICSTIS (the premium rate service regulator) at www.icstis.org.uk'

Anyone been the target of a con recently (apart from bbc license fee's  :D )

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby NiftyNeil » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:23 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Anyone been the target of a con recently (apart from bbc license fee's  :D )

I got an email from Paypal informing me that someone had tried to access my account from overseas and that my account would be suspended while they investigated. To avoid this I needed to confirm my identity. I clicked on the link to the paypal website which asked me to sign in to my account, it then asked me my usual details - name, address etc. It then asked me for my mothers maiden name and credit card details which is when I became suspicious. I checked the web address and everything looked kosher but I thought it was asking for too much info. Instead of completing the form, I forwarded the email to paypal who confirmed it to be a fake - or "phishing" email as they call it.
Paypal told me that they will always address me by my fist name in emails and that they will never ask for any information via emails such as passwords, security information or personal info. Be warned.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:35 pm

Similar thhing happened with me and someone claiming to be from my bank.

Phone rings and a fella claiming to be from my bank asks if he can discuss some new promotions they're offering, I normally give such calls the elbow but being from my bank I said go ahead. the fella then says before I discuss the details I need to go through some security checks. He then asks for all the usual stuff , account name, number, pass words etc. I told him "hey pal you phoned me if you don't have my details already as far as i'm concerned your not from my bank" and put the phone down.

My bank have confirmed that they would never call any customer and ask them to divulge their passwords.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:41 pm

This new scam is being pulled mainly on older men. What happens is that when you stop for a red light a young, nude woman comes up and pretends to be washing your windshield. While she is doing this another person opens your back door and steals anything in the car. They are very good at this.

They got me 7 times Friday and 5 times Saturday. I wasn't able to find them on Sunday.

:p
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:42 pm

sorry, just kidding. Generally, I hate the hoax warnings that get sent around, but I have to admit that this one is important.

Please protect everyone you know by sending this to your entire email list.

If a man comes to your front door and says he is conducting a survey and asks you to show him your bum, do not show him your bum.

This is a scam - he only wants to see your bum.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:15 pm

I've had one or two e-mails from banks that I'm not even with saying there are problems with my account and can I click the links. Anyone who does this is just asking for trouble.
Luckily my ISP has built in facilities that picks these scam messages up and they just forward a warning message to me to say that they've quarantined it.

I think the best advice really is just have common sense when using the t'internet. Don't click on any links in e-mails unless they are from a trusted source. If you do click a link certainly don't enter any personal details on the website.

It ain't rocket science but it should keep yer pennies in YOUR account and not somebody elses. :;):
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:51 pm

NiftyNeil wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:Anyone been the target of a con recently (apart from bbc license fee's  :D )

I got an email from Paypal informing me that someone had tried to access my account from overseas and that my account would be suspended while they investigated. To avoid this I needed to confirm my identity. I clicked on the link to the paypal website which asked me to sign in to my account, it then asked me my usual details - name, address etc. It then asked me for my mothers maiden name and credit card details which is when I became suspicious. I checked the web address and everything looked kosher but I thought it was asking for too much info. Instead of completing the form, I forwarded the email to paypal who confirmed it to be a fake - or "phishing" email as they call it.
Paypal told me that they will always address me by my fist name in emails and that they will never ask for any information via emails such as passwords, security information or personal info. Be warned.

same here brother!
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:14 pm

For all those poor victims of this heinous crime send €5 to "I Feel Your Pain", JBG, Newkit Message Board for instant empathy.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Sabre » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:43 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Similar thhing happened with me and someone claiming to be from my bank.

Phone rings and a fella claiming to be from my bank asks if he can discuss some new promotions they're offering, I normally give such calls the elbow but being from my bank I said go ahead. the fella then says before I discuss the details I need to go through some security checks. He then asks for all the usual stuff , account name, number, pass words etc. I told him "hey pal you phoned me if you don't have my details already as far as i'm concerned your not from my bank" and put the phone down.

My bank have confirmed that they would never call any customer and ask them to divulge their passwords.

Houndreds of similar scams here aswell.

The problem is not when they find a normal bloke like you with a bit of common sense, the problem is that when they find old people that are more easily conned :(, and those bástards won't make distinctions even with defenceless old persons.

At least the police around here is combatting those scams quite effectively.

Many scams aswell around telephone calls. You receive a "price" in the normal post and you're told to call a number.

THe best thing to combat this is knowing that in this life rarely you're give things for free when it comes from people you don't know.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:54 pm

I normally don't mind scammers, so long as they are scamming the system and not poor b@stards that actually don't have the money to waste like you and I. If they are clever to scam big companies and get away with it, I say fair play to them for being smart c*nts and figuring out a way. But to the b@stards scamming people with kids that pay bills and such, I say string em up by the bollox with fish hooks.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:53 pm

Emerald Red wrote:I normally don't mind scammers, so long as they are scamming the system and not poor b@stards that actually don't have the money to waste like you and I. If they are clever to scam big companies and get away with it, I say fair play to them for being smart c*nts and figuring out a way. But to the b@stards scamming people with kids that pay bills and such, I say string em up by the bollox with fish hooks.

so you think when a big company gets scammed they just go "oh dear, we'll have to swallow that cost. never mind"? do they f.uckers like, they pass on the cost to their customers ie. you, me & the poor bugger down the road with 10 kids to feed. don't be so naive as to think that scamming a company is any different to scamming an individual. there is no such thing as a victimless crime. it's like the funny c.unts who pour a tin of paint on their carpet and claim off the insurance. do the insurance company give a f.uck? no. they put everybody's premiums up instead. covering the cost of fraudulent claims adds £40 a year to every single house insurance policy in britain
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:16 pm

Woollyback wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:I normally don't mind scammers, so long as they are scamming the system and not poor b@stards that actually don't have the money to waste like you and I. If they are clever to scam big companies and get away with it, I say fair play to them for being smart c*nts and figuring out a way. But to the b@stards scamming people with kids that pay bills and such, I say string em up by the bollox with fish hooks.

so you think when a big company gets scammed they just go "oh dear, we'll have to swallow that cost. never mind"? do they f.uckers like, they pass on the cost to their customers ie. you, me & the poor bugger down the road with 10 kids to feed. don't be so naive as to think that scamming a company is any different to scamming an individual. there is no such thing as a victimless crime. it's like the funny c.unts who pour a tin of paint on their carpet and claim off the insurance. do the insurance company give a f.uck? no. they put everybody's premiums up instead. covering the cost of fraudulent claims adds £40 a year to every single house insurance policy in britain

Yeah but it feels good

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:13 pm

Woollyback wrote:

You know you would if you got the chance. Go on. Admit it.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:22 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
Woollyback wrote:

You know you would if you got the chance. Go on. Admit it.

damn right :laugh: 

we got burgled in february and the insurance co. sent me 2 replacement ipods by mistake (only 1 was stolen). did i ring them up and admit it? did i feck, i ebayed it    :O
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:39 pm

Useful Scams ? .

Of course I couldn't recommend that you do this but a mate of mine gets home from a holiday abroad  and can't be a'rsed lugging his two heavy suitcases from the airport to his home so he reports his luggage as missing leaves his home address and b'uggers off. That evening he gets a call from the airline , they've found his luggage and they deliver it to his door the next day.  :D

On a darker note , he once sent his girlfriend home by cab with their luggage whilst he reported the said luggage as missing. The airline never found the missing luggage (well they wouldn't would they ?) and paid him £1500.   :D .
Last edited by woof woof ! on Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to General Chat Forum