Rugby vs football

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Big Niall » Fri May 08, 2009 12:26 am

I much prefer football over rugby and believe iit requires much more skill and that the world cup is much more world than rugby will ever be.

however, rugby players are just as passionite but respect the refereee (i am fed up with footballers with no discipline insulting referees) and I hate diving (and yes steven gerrard is a diver) and I went to lots of england v ireland rugby games where we stood side by side and had  banter and went for drinks after and a bit of a laugh.

Is there a desire in england to get all the bad stuff out of the most beautiful sport in the world.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Fri May 08, 2009 12:59 am

I remember someone once saying that rugby is a game for thugs played by gentlemen and football was a game for gentlemen played by thugs. It is admirable how players respect the referee. I can't see it ever happening in football though, they tried it this year, but didn't have the balls to see it through until the end. I think, and I have had the opinion for many years, they should introduce a sin bin into football for dissent. It will make players think twice about having a go at the ref if they know they will have to sit out for 10 mins or so and jeopordise their teams chances.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Fri May 08, 2009 5:07 am

Kind of like a power play in hockey, which can change the state of the game tremendously.  However it would be even more of a problem in football, because in hockey you can line change, while in football you can only have 3 subs and you can't undo one of them.  Would be interesting, and Chelsea would be fecked :D
SupitsJonF

Postby JoeTerp » Fri May 08, 2009 6:29 am

SupitsJonF wrote:Kind of like a power play in hockey, which can change the state of the game tremendously.  However it would be even more of a problem in football, because in hockey you can line change, while in football you can only have 3 subs and you can't undo one of them.  Would be interesting, and Chelsea would be fecked :D

5 on 4 is a much bigger advantage than 11 on 10.
JoeTerp

Postby SupitsJonF » Fri May 08, 2009 6:35 am

JoeTerp wrote:
SupitsJonF wrote:Kind of like a power play in hockey, which can change the state of the game tremendously.  However it would be even more of a problem in football, because in hockey you can line change, while in football you can only have 3 subs and you can't undo one of them.  Would be interesting, and Chelsea would be fecked :D

5 on 4 is a much bigger advantage than 11 on 10.

But putting on your best 4 players suited to handle the situation, and for only 2 minutes, in my opinion isn't too much greater an advantage over 10 on 9 (unless, somehow it was the goalie) with players that would't be best suited a man down for 10 minutes.

And I said kind of, not directly compares to :D
SupitsJonF

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri May 08, 2009 9:12 am

Egg-chasing ???
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:39 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:Egg-chasing ???

Would you say that if the mighty Paul O'Connell was right beside you ? Nah, didn't think so....

In recent years, I've come to watch a lot more rugby, and I really think there's a lot good in the game: spirited and passionate players; respect for the ref; committed athletes (save the odd pie-eater there for his size alone !); a TMO for disputed decisions.....Yeah, there's a lot to be learned from the way they handle themselves...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby stmichael » Fri May 08, 2009 2:38 pm

Absolutely love both sports.

Football is a great game that has been ruined with stupid rule changes , idiotic mandates from the retards at FIFA , lack of use of technology , lightweight balls & in this country has sold its soul to Rupert Murdoch. The lack of sportsmanship , managerial merry go round , the way that certain managers cant accept that they have drawn or lost to a better team , they only see things they want to see , calling for players to be banned for tackles even though they have had players whose dubious tackles/kicks go unpunished & the general them & us syndrome between the 'premier league & the rest of football.

Rugby Union is a brilliant game. Since it turned professional it has got better & better. Superbly entertaining & good sense of sportsmanship. Even had a penalty shoot out the other day between Leicester and Cardiff. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mistyred » Fri May 08, 2009 3:12 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:Egg-chasing ???

Would you say that if the mighty Paul O'Connell was right beside you ? Nah, didn't think so....

In recent years, I've come to watch a lot more rugby, and I really think there's a lot good in the game: spirited and passionate players; respect for the ref; committed athletes (save the odd pie-eater there for his size alone !); a TMO for disputed decisions.....Yeah, there's a lot to be learned from the way they handle themselves...

Bungle he's telling the truth mate, the ball is shaped
like an egg and they chase it  :D
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Fri May 08, 2009 4:11 pm

They should get more strict in football now give heavier bans to the player and team . Thats the only way around it. Deduct points etc..
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Sun May 10, 2009 8:18 pm

stmichael wrote:Absolutely love both sports.

Football is a great game that has been ruined with stupid rule changes , idiotic mandates from the retards at FIFA , lack of use of technology , lightweight balls & in this country has sold its soul to Rupert Murdoch. The lack of sportsmanship , managerial merry go round , the way that certain managers cant accept that they have drawn or lost to a better team , they only see things they want to see , calling for players to be banned for tackles even though they have had players whose dubious tackles/kicks go unpunished & the general them & us syndrome between the 'premier league & the rest of football.

Rugby Union is a brilliant game. Since it turned professional it has got better & better. Superbly entertaining & good sense of sportsmanship. Even had a penalty shoot out the other day between Leicester and Cardiff. :D

Rugby League is another great game ruined by selling it's soul to Rupert Murdoch. The Super League is now a farce. I'm particularly bitter being from Widnes. We had to make way for the London Broncos when it was first formed, then relegated to make way for the Catalan Dragons and then kept out of the league (despite having one of the best applications - including one of the best stadiums and fan bases) to make way for the Celtic Crusaders. The league is now a closed shop for 3 years, no one goes in, no one goes out. Fucking joke! It's all about geography now and "spreading the good word" of the superleague - to make more money for the fat cats.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby daxy1 » Sun May 10, 2009 8:26 pm

i used to play rugby i was a good second row bein 6ft 5in and 20st lol the reason i joined up was that my team played merseyside police every boxin day and i loved man handlin the police LOTS and not goin to court and i needed better cardio so i enjoyed it i would never pick the game over football the worst that happened to me was i was fillin in for the veterans team and some little ald scrapper banged me hard on the nose and bruised the tip of my nose lol awesome!

daxy1
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Sun May 10, 2009 11:59 pm

been watching a lot of NRL and Super 14 on Setanta.  Rugby League seems a lot easier to understand and IMO is more enjoyable game to watch, although I feel like sometimes there can actually be a limit on the highly creative plays that pop up once in a blue moon in union because in league teams seem very unwilling to kick before the last tackle, or at least that is my impression from watching  the two sports for the last few months.
JoeTerp

Postby GRAHAM01 » Mon May 11, 2009 8:47 am

i have played rugby from the age of 10 i had to give up just before the start of this season due to injury, the respect shown to the ref ( by most anyway ) is second to none, in all my time of playing i only ever got sent off once and had 1 yellow card not bad for 22 years of playing in the front row, i'm not saying i didn't throw punches or do bad things but i like to think i was clever and didn't let the ref see me :D

i see the way players run after the ref screaming and shouting in football and i shake my head in shame sometimes
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum