Remember when we were kids! - Any one remember?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby daxy1 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:06 pm

When we were kids!

This is worth taking a few minutes to read it is so true

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 50's, 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because...

Our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip flops and fluorescent 'clackers' on our wheels.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle - tasted the same.

We ate dripping sandwiches, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us all day and no one minded.

We did not have Playstations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet chat rooms. We had friends - we went outside and found them.

We played elastics and street rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits. They were accidents. We learnt not to do the same thing again.

We had fights, punched each other hard and got black and blue - we learned to get over it.

We walked to friend's homes.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate live stuff, and although we were told it would happen, we did not have very many eyes out, nor did the live stuff live inside us forever.

We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood. Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them. Congratulations!

Pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow up as real kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good. (If you aren't old enough, thought you might like to read about us

dripping sandwiches!

.................... We could only dream of.....

We also never locked a door at our homes during the day and at night was secured by the Yale lock with just the one screw in it.

We also called the "nice" policeman who brought us home after being caught nicking apples SIR. That was just before your father said the immortal words, "leave this with me officer, I will deal with him" and then, whack...

Did it do you any harm?

You mean things have changed? ??? What a shame.

That must be why the kids of today are out of hand eh

No coppers to smack them around the head then go around to tell the "old man" who gave you another smack for having a copper knocking on the door.

But in all seriousness, so very true and what would the nanny state and all the do-gooders say about???

Saturday morning pictures.

Knock down ginger (not that I....).

Three pn'orth of chips in the News Chronicle, with lashings of salt and vinegar.

Scraping out the mixing bowl, I did that last on Saturday, the first time in years, delish!!!!!!

Oh, Oh the missus is coming must go.

Decided to try a dripping sarnie the other week...childhood memories etc...it was disgusting, that fat coating the mouth ugh...might now give the sugar sandwiches a miss....however the freshly scrumped Bramley apple plus a chunk of full fat cheese, makes you look forward to autumn

yeah & I can remember getting a serious for not being able to do a 'clock sum' aged 5 & mum giving me a clip around the ear for getting told off by the teacher....the injustice has stayed with me for 40+ years....I wonder if I could sue....might help out the pension shortfall!

Until our recent diversification, I was quite proud of the fact that 3/4 of our workforce was made up of youngsters who started working with us on the Youth Opportunities Programme, Youth Training Scheme etc.etc. (The government keep changing the name). But I had a phone call this week to inform me that we couldn't participate in the Work Experience Programme (as it's now called) any more because it is now deemed too dangerous to have youngsters working in the harbour area!!! (They've been doing this with us for the past 20 years without incident).

I'm off now to find some tar bubbles to burst, pitch to chew, mucky carrots to pinch from the plots, whelks to boil in a tin can............

daxy1
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:10 pm

Decided to try a dripping sarnie the other week...childhood memories etc...it was disgusting, that fat coating the mouth ugh

Drippin' butty's were great .You have to have them on a Monday so you've got the drippin' from Sundays roast ,spread it on a doorstep size slice of bread and add salt .

Luvly .  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:14 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
Decided to try a dripping sarnie the other week...childhood memories etc...it was disgusting, that fat coating the mouth ugh

Drippin' butty's were great .You have to have them on a Monday so you've got the drippin' from Sundays roast ,spread it on a doorstep size slice of bread and add salt .

Luvly .  :D

Kids would'nt be allowed to eat them now!

Jamie Oliver the mockney rebel would start World War 3 ffs. :D
66-1120597113

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:22 pm

Never had the pleasure of a dripping butty ,but i absolutly loved conny onny butties , they were feckin luvely, topped off with a glass of corperation pop. :hearts
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:24 pm

Jamie Oliver is too young to remember that although WW2 end in 1945, meat rationing in the UK only ended mid 1954 . You never saw a fat kid back then . :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:31 pm

To follow on from Daxy

We also got given as presents , knives , air rifles and bows and arrows , REAL ONE'S that you could kill something with . :D

We  spent many a happy day shooting matchboxes off each others heads . Must admit I'm surprised half  of my generation didn't lose an eye   :laugh:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza 1 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:33 pm

daxy1 wrote:When we were kids!

This is worth taking a few minutes to read it is so true

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 50's, 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because...

Our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip flops and fluorescent 'clackers' on our wheels.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle - tasted the same.

We ate dripping sandwiches, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us all day and no one minded.

We did not have Playstations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet chat rooms. We had friends - we went outside and found them.

We played elastics and street rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits. They were accidents. We learnt not to do the same thing again.

We had fights, punched each other hard and got black and blue - we learned to get over it.

We walked to friend's homes.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate live stuff, and although we were told it would happen, we did not have very many eyes out, nor did the live stuff live inside us forever.

We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood. Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them. Congratulations!

Pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow up as real kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good. (If you aren't old enough, thought you might like to read about us

dripping sandwiches!

.................... We could only dream of.....

We also never locked a door at our homes during the day and at night was secured by the Yale lock with just the one screw in it.

We also called the "nice" policeman who brought us home after being caught nicking apples SIR. That was just before your father said the immortal words, "leave this with me officer, I will deal with him" and then, whack...

Did it do you any harm?

You mean things have changed? ??? What a shame.

That must be why the kids of today are out of hand eh

No coppers to smack them around the head then go around to tell the "old man" who gave you another smack for having a copper knocking on the door.

But in all seriousness, so very true and what would the nanny state and all the do-gooders say about???

Saturday morning pictures.

Knock down ginger (not that I....).

Three pn'orth of chips in the News Chronicle, with lashings of salt and vinegar.

Scraping out the mixing bowl, I did that last on Saturday, the first time in years, delish!!!!!!

Oh, Oh the missus is coming must go.

Decided to try a dripping sarnie the other week...childhood memories etc...it was disgusting, that fat coating the mouth ugh...might now give the sugar sandwiches a miss....however the freshly scrumped Bramley apple plus a chunk of full fat cheese, makes you look forward to autumn

yeah & I can remember getting a serious for not being able to do a 'clock sum' aged 5 & mum giving me a clip around the ear for getting told off by the teacher....the injustice has stayed with me for 40+ years....I wonder if I could sue....might help out the pension shortfall!

Until our recent diversification, I was quite proud of the fact that 3/4 of our workforce was made up of youngsters who started working with us on the Youth Opportunities Programme, Youth Training Scheme etc.etc. (The government keep changing the name). But I had a phone call this week to inform me that we couldn't participate in the Work Experience Programme (as it's now called) any more because it is now deemed too dangerous to have youngsters working in the harbour area!!! (They've been doing this with us for the past 20 years without incident).

I'm off now to find some tar bubbles to burst, pitch to chew, mucky carrots to pinch from the plots, whelks to boil in a tin can............

Excellent post. One of the best I have read. I remember doing most of the stuff you have written (except the dripping sambos  :D ) I used to love riding my bike with "clackers on the spokes!
ImageImage
Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Cracking post, brings back some great memories, but must be before my time - three pn'orth of chips? They were a tanner (6d) when I was young, and I have never had a dripping butty. I was brought up posh so we had "bacon shapes". You pressed the bacon straight out of the frying pan hard onto your bread then took the bacon off and you had your shapes :D

I also remember some of the uglier things too like the girl who lived next door but one to me eating Kit-e-kat pie.
account deleted by request

Postby daxy1 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:05 pm

woof woof ! wrote:To follow on from Daxy

We also got given as presents , knives , air rifles and bows and arrows , REAL ONE'S that you could kill something with . :D

We  spent many a happy day shooting matchboxes off each others heads . Must admit I'm surprised half  of my generation didn't lose an eye   :laugh:

ha! ha! i remember when me brother shot me with a gat gun that are mum bought us it was a little dart and in stuck in me cheeckbone he would of got a firearm ban nowadays

daxy1
LFC Super Member

Postby CardinalRed » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:44 pm

Dripping sarnies..... Nice!
An old Dear died in Pontefract this week, she was 111yrs old!!! the oldest person in the UK and she put it down to having Beef Dripping every day of her life, they even gave it to her in the home she was living in, what a lovely old lady (they showed footage of her on Look North) and the Dripping didn't seem to do her any harm, tell Jamie Oliver to stick that up his Mockney ar*e!!!

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:33 pm

drippin butties? you lot were lucky, i had to get up 'alf an hour before ah went t'bed an go work down't pits for no more than a kickin off our dad. special tea on't saturday were 2 frugalburgers an half a can o'rainwater :D

great thread, kids these days are a bunch of fat layabout pussies who would've got knocked to sh*t in our school for being fat nerds. i used to eat like a feckin lumberjack when i was a kid and was always a skinny bugger cos i spent my entire life either asleep or running somewhere  :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:42 pm

ah memories, brilliant. we also used to make bows and arrows, and sharpen the arrows. i got one stuck in the back of my head when i was about 9, still got the scar.

oh and cutting down the telegraph pole for the centre of our bonfire but the firemen removed it.

also 24 hour tv, i can remember when we had 3 channels and tv would finish at night with the national anthem, and start the next morning about 9am, before breakfast tv.

and my beloved grifter, ah happy days
112-1077774096

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:45 pm

peewee wrote:ah memories, brilliant. we also used to make bows and arrows, and sharpen the arrows. i got one stuck in the back of my head when i was about 9, still got the scar.

oh and cutting down the telegraph pole for the centre of our bonfire but the firemen removed it.

also 24 hour tv, i can remember when we had 3 channels and tv would finish at night with the national anthem, and start the next morning about 9am, before breakfast tv.

Grifters were the tank of the bicycle world...class... you could'nt wreck them if you tried!
When you went fast they made a humming noise...i had a blue one...they were class! :D
66-1120597113

Postby Woollyback » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:52 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:
peewee wrote:ah memories, brilliant. we also used to make bows and arrows, and sharpen the arrows. i got one stuck in the back of my head when i was about 9, still got the scar.

Grifters were the tank of the bicycle world...class... you could'nt wreck them if you tried!
When you went fast they made a humming noise...i had a blue one...they were class! :D

they rocked, first bike i ever rode with gears - half me mates had them but i always got me feckin brother's sh*tty hand-me-downs :angry:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:59 pm

Woollyback wrote:
BarryBelfast wrote:

they rocked, first bike i ever rode with gears - half me mates had them but i always got me feckin brother's sh*tty hand-me-downs :angry:

And then along came the BMX....i got one of them..Remember when BMX were cool and all the top riders were on TV doing tricks...The council built a really good BMX track about 2 miles from us and we used to venture up on a Saturday to do jumps!

I thought i was great doing jumps and stuff!
I tried to do a table top but forgot to straighten the bike up after i done the flat bit and landed on my side...broke my fuc.kin arm! Had to cycle home with one hand crying! :laugh:  :D

If that was now you could just text yer dad or phone an ambulance!No mobbies then! :no
66-1120597113

Next

Return to General Chat Forum