Political correctness - Gone mad

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Lionheart » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:51 am

Very interesting situation arising here in Oz and I would be interested to hear from people in other countries as to just how bad the political correctness has gone mad.

In Australia we have a little penguin called a 'Fairy Penguin' how it got it's name is unknown to me so don't ask. I am sure though, it has nothing to do with the penguin's sexual preference. But now it has been deemed 'inappropriate' to refer to this penguin by it former name as it may be considered to be offensive to the gay population.

A further example is that teachers are being discouraged from using the term 'boy' or 'girl' toward their students, but rather to use the generic 'students' or 'children'

And again...

My wife rang the Dr's surgery to make an appointment for my son. They rang back a while later (I answered the phone).

"Can I speak to Chas (my son)?"
"Sorry, he's at College" I replied, "I'm his Father, can I help".
"Can I speak to Tanya (my wife)?"
"Sorry, she's in the shower. Can I help"
"Ahhhhh??"
"What is this in relation to", I ask :angry:
"It's a private matter" was the infuriating response. "Can you get either Chas or Tanya to call me?"
"I'm Chas's father & Tanya is my legally wedded wife. We all live together in a loving family relationship with our other son, Conor. Now what is this all about so that we can make the necessary decisions to ensure our son's optimum level of health?" (I'm really cheesed off my now)
"Just get Tanya to ring, Ok??" (she's a bit miffed too) 
"No, if it's THAT private you'd better ring back yourself so that I don't break any confidentiality!!!!!!"  :veryangry
*Slam dow the phone*

Is political correctness going TOO far??

Personally, I'm getting thoroughly pi.ssed off with all of this cr.ap. I think it's time we started to make a stand against political correctness and call something for what it is.

Thoughts??
Last edited by Lionheart on Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:06 am

Lionheart wrote:Very interesting situation arising here in Oz and I would be interested to hear from people in other countries as to just how bad the political correctness has gone mad.

In Australia we have a little penguin called a 'Fairy Penguin' how it got it's name is unknown to me so don't ask. I am sure though, it has nothing to do with the penguin's sexual preference. But now it has been deemed 'inappropriate' to refer to this penguin by it former name as it may be considered to be offensive to the gay population.

A further example is that teachers are being discouraged from using the term 'boy' or 'girl' toward their students, but rather to use the generic 'students' or 'children'

And again...

My wife rang the Dr's surgery to make an appointment for my son. They rang back a while later (I answered the phone).

"Ahhhhh??"
"It's a private matter" was the infuriating response. "Can you get either Chas or Tanya to call me?"
"I'm Chas's father & Tanya is my legally wedded wife. We all live together in a loving family relationship with our other son, Conor. Now what is this all about so that we can make the necessary decisions to ensure our son's optimum level of health?" (I'm really cheesed off my now)
"No, if it's THAT private you'd better ring back yourself so that I don't break any confidentiality!!!!!!"  :veryangry
*Slam dow the phone*

Personally, I'm getting thoroughly pi.ssed off with all of this cr.ap. I think it's time we started to make a stand against political correctness and call something for what it is.

Thoughts??

Thoughts....................i still dont think it was a penalty   :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:31 am

laza wrote:
Lionheart wrote:Very interesting situation arising here in Oz and I would be interested to hear from people in other countries as to just how bad the political correctness has gone mad.

And again...

"Ahhhhh??"
*Slam dow the phone*

Thoughts??

Thoughts....................i still dont think it was a penalty   :D

ha bloody ha!!! You're a funny man Laurie!!!  :D

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:03 am

And again...

"Ahhhhh??"
*Slam dow the phone*

Thoughts??

Too f*cking right mate.

I'm sick of all these lar-dee-dar good-for-nothings trying to f*cking punish people for nothing.

My philosiphy is this:

If you don't like the repercussions - don't ask for them.

I.E:

If you don't like being called a poof/fairy/faggott, etc - don't flaunt your warped ways infront of me. You f*cking faggotts.

If you don't want to be called a tw*t - don't act like a tw*t.

If you believe pigs are sacred - don't walk into a butchers then ring the Police and complain that there was a pig's head stuck in the window. It's what Butcher's are there for, you dumb b*stards.

If you believe in a different God, and follow some bearded punk from Afghanistan who encourages you to strap bombs to yourself - fine. Just don't expect me to, you f*cking loony.

If you're a teenage thug who bullies kid's - expect to get your f*cking head kicked in by their big-brother. DOn't then run to the Police crying like little schoolgirl with a skinned knee.

If you stink - expect to hear "You smell like sh*t, you scruffy b*stard".

If women want equality - it is total. Krypton factor take note - no more 20 second head-starts.

If you burgle a house and get smacked by the owner - don't run off to CLaims DIrect and sue the poor b*stard for defending himself, you cowardly piece of scud. Kill yourself instead, you worthless pile of rectal discharge.

Punish race-crimes equally. Don't give a white man 3 years for killing a black man, and a black man 10 for killing a white man.

Stop allowing the names of accused rapists to be printed in the media until they've actually been found guilty, and put the women who falsely cry rape behind bars for whatever sentence the man would have recieved had he done it.

Finally - to all the dickhead parents:

Stop making a generation of lippy, loudmouthed t*ssers, who's only goals in life are to draw the dole, and draw on a joint.

Just because you are all socially-rejected thieving gipo w*nkers, it doesn't mean we want carbon-copies of your stinking existance.

Lay down infront of a bus.

It's the only way you pikey-scum will help this Country, you robbing, littering, filthy, heartless whores.  :nod
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:50 am

I'm NOT trying to be inflamatory. I'm suggesting common sense and understanding. There is also a lot to be said for tolerance.

Sorry Lando, I don't go anywhere near as far as you and I think you misunderstand my point entirely. In fact in many cases you site, I think you are completely wrong. I don't wish anyone harm and I accept (that doesn't mean I understand) all sorts of religions, sexual orientations, and belief systems. I don't think I'm intolerant except where me and mine and directly influenced (as in the above example).

Using names that have been in existence for eons simply because someone might think it's casting dispersions upon them requires someone to inform them that these words were in existence LONG before they were thought of. It's easy, we don't have to make it as  complicated as we do.

By the same token we should make attempts at educating ourselves rather being intolerant and ignorant.    :)

Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:06 am

I agree it's very simple.  For example, if a blackboard is a board that's black and you call it a blackboard, that isn't an insult to anyone, in fact it's a pretty accurate name if you ask me.  If a slang term for someone black is meant to demean or mock that person, it's an insult.  The same principle applies to 'fairy penguins' and so on.  Easy.

Ultimately, the problem seems to be that people in government office are thick.  (Oops, that wasn't very P.C., sorry.)

In the UK we've got the 'Data Protection Act' which causes more problems than it solves.  It seems to assume that husbands and wives would never share any information of a personal nature with each other, which seems to miss the point of being married to me.  I've had many angry exchanges on the phone with companies that automatically assume my only goal in life is to somehow defraud my own wife.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:07 am

Theres a difference between pc madness and lando garnett up there.

Its always been mad and it will get worse. There was talk of hot corss buns being banned as the cross upsets other religions, and nat west has got rid of the piggy banks as they are offensive to certain people. The thing is, the otehr religions are in the most part just as pi$$ed off as we are about the whole thing.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:21 pm

There are always prejudices against minorities of any type but when stupid rules are made it just makes it worse for them. It is usually some silly liberal white person who only knows other white christian middle class people and has some guilt complex.

I don't understand how a cross is offensive to muslims as they believe that Jesus was a great prophet (I assume they believe that he was crucified too - any muslims on site to educate me?)

I will now stop referring to the Fairy Penguin and call the homosexual  penguins  :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:40 pm

Big Niall wrote:I don't understand how a cross is offensive to muslims as they believe that Jesus was a great prophet (I assume they believe that he was crucified too - any muslims on site to educate me?)

No offence intended to 'Christians', but Jesus didn't die on a cross.  The Greek words 'stauro' and 'xylon' are translated as cross in English in some translations of the Bible.  However, stauro means stake or upright pole and xylon means singular piece of wood.  The cross actually pre-dates Christianity.  According to the Encyclopaedia Brittanica, it was a religious symbol in India, Syria, Persia and Egypt well before Christianity even existed.  It was Constantine that brought it into 'Christianity' because he was a sun-god worshipper and it a symbol of the solar wheel.

Maybe the cross should be offensive to Christians.

Being P.C. is harder than you think.
:eyebrow
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:03 pm

2520years wrote:
Big Niall wrote:I don't understand how a cross is offensive to muslims as they believe that Jesus was a great prophet (I assume they believe that he was crucified too - any muslims on site to educate me?)

No offence intended to 'Christians', but Jesus didn't die on a cross.  The Greek words 'stauro' and 'xylon' are translated as cross in English in some translations of the Bible.  However, stauro means stake or upright pole and xylon means singular piece of wood.  The cross actually pre-dates Christianity.  According to the Encyclopaedia Brittanica, it was a religious symbol in India, Syria, Persia and Egypt well before Christianity even existed.  It was Constantine that brought it into 'Christianity' because he was a sun-god worshipper and it a symbol of the solar wheel.

But not as hard as trying to be a smart-a'rse.

CRUCIFIXION IN ANTIQUITY

THE ANTHROPOLOGICAL EVIDENCE

By Joe Zias

Undoubtedly, one of the cruelest and most humiliating forms of punishment and eventual death in the ancient world was, according to ancient sources, crucifixion. The Jewish historian Josephus best described it following the siege of Jerusalem by the Romans in 66-70 CE as “the most wretched of deaths” (War 7:203) whereas in Seneca’s Epistle 101 to Lucilius he argues that suicide is preferable to the cruel fate of being put on the cross. The widespread fear of crucifixion was such that Josephus reported that following the Roman siege of Jerusalem in 70 CE the threat by the Romans to crucify a Jewish prisoner alone caused the Jewish garrison stationed at Machaerus to surrender in exchange for safe passage from the city (War 6:4).

ORIGINS

This form of state terror, widespread across the Roman Empire which included Europe, North Africa and Western Asia, originated several centuries before the Common Era continuing into the fourth century CE when the practice was discontinued by Constantine, the emperor of Rome. Hengel, in his monumental work on the subject entitled Crucifixion (1989:22-23) writes that while authors generally regard it’s origin as in Persia due to the writings of Herodotus it’s practice was found among the Indians, Assyrians, Scythians, Taurians, Celts, Greeks, Seleucids, Romans, Britanni, Numidians, Carthagians the latter who may have transferred it’s knowledge to the Romans. While its origins are obscured in antiquity it’s clear that the form of capital punishment lasted for nearly 900 years beginning with Darius’s (550-485 BCE) crucifixion of 3,000 Babylonian captives in 519 BCE (Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1993, Vol.3, p.762) and ending with the Roman emperor Constantine in 337 CE, thus tens if not hundreds of thousands of individual victims were subject to this cruel and humiliating form of punishment. Mass executions in which hundreds and thousands died, such as the well known crucifixion of 6,000 followers of Spartacus as part of a victory celebration in 71 BCE appear in the literature (Bella Civilia I.120). While many people believe that crucifixion was reserved for criminals only, as a result of Plutarch’s (46-120 CE) passage that “each criminal condemned to death bears his cross on his back” (Mor.554A/B) the literature clearly shows that this class of individuals were not the only ones subjected to this ultimate fate. Alexander the Great had 2,000 survivors from the siege of Tyre crucified on the shores of the Mediterranean (Curtius Rufus, Hist. Alex. 4.4.17) while in the times of Caligula (37-41 CE) Jews were tortured and crucified in the amphitheater to entertain the inhabitants of Alexandria. Women are seldom if ever mentioned specifically in the ancient Jewish sources aside from two passages in the Mishna, one in Tractate Mourning 2.11 which suggests that women may have been sacrificed as well. The second reference is found in Sanhedrin 6.5 in which Simeon b. Shetah had 70 or 80 sorceresses hung in the city of Ashkelon. However, as crucifixion was widely employed with slaves one can assume that in the ancient world, its use was thus not limited by gender, but mainly by class.

???
Last edited by woof woof ! on Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:10 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
2520years wrote:

But not as hard as trying to be a smart-a'rse.

CRUCIFIXION IN ANTIQUITY

THE ANTHROPOLOGICAL EVIDENCE

By Joe Zias

Undoubtedly, one of the cruelest and most humiliating forms of punishment and eventual death in the ancient world was, according to ancient sources, crucifixion. The Jewish historian Josephus best described it following the siege of Jerusalem by the Romans in 66-70 CE as “the most wretched of deaths” (War 7:203) whereas in Seneca’s Epistle 101 to Lucilius he argues that suicide is preferable to the cruel fate of being put on the cross. The widespread fear of crucifixion was such that Josephus reported that following the Roman siege of Jerusalem in 70 CE the threat by the Romans to crucify a Jewish prisoner alone caused the Jewish garrison stationed at Machaerus to surrender in exchange for safe passage from the city (War 6:4).

ORIGINS

This form of state terror, widespread across the Roman Empire which included Europe, North Africa and Western Asia, originated several centuries before the Common Era continuing into the fourth century CE when the practice was discontinued by Constantine, the emperor of Rome. Hengel, in his monumental work on the subject entitled Crucifixion (1989:22-23) writes that while authors generally regard it’s origin as in Persia due to the writings of Herodotus it’s practice was found among the Indians, Assyrians, Scythians, Taurians, Celts, Greeks, Seleucids, Romans, Britanni, Numidians, Carthagians the latter who may have transferred it’s knowledge to the Romans. While its origins are obscured in antiquity it’s clear that the form of capital punishment lasted for nearly 900 years beginning with Darius’s (550-485 BCE) crucifixion of 3,000 Babylonian captives in 519 BCE (Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1993, Vol.3, p.762) and ending with the Roman emperor Constantine in 337 CE, thus tens if not hundreds of thousands of individual victims were subject to this cruel and humiliating form of punishment. Mass executions in which hundreds and thousands died, such as the well known crucifixion of 6,000 followers of Spartacus as part of a victory celebration in 71 BCE appear in the literature (Bella Civilia I.120). While many people believe that crucifixion was reserved for criminals only, as a result of Plutarch’s (46-120 CE) passage that “each criminal condemned to death bears his cross on his back” (Mor.554A/B) the literature clearly shows that this class of individuals were not the only ones subjected to this ultimate fate. Alexander the Great had 2,000 survivors from the siege of Tyre crucified on the shores of the Mediterranean (Curtius Rufus, Hist. Alex. 4.4.17) while in the times of Caligula (37-41 CE) Jews were tortured and crucified in the amphitheater to entertain the inhabitants of Alexandria. Women are seldom if ever mentioned specifically in the ancient Jewish sources aside from two passages in the Mishna, one in Tractate Mourning 2.11 which suggests that women may have been sacrificed as well. The second reference is found in Sanhedrin 6.5 in which Simeon b. Shetah had 70 or 80 sorceresses hung in the city of Ashkelon. However, as crucifixion was widely employed with slaves one can assume that in the ancient world, its use was thus not limited by gender, but mainly by class.

???

People made their own entertainment before TV's and computers.  :D
account deleted by request

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:19 pm

2520years wrote:No offence intended to 'Christians', but Jesus didn't die on a cross.  The Greek words 'stauro' and 'xylon' are translated as cross in English in some translations of the Bible.  However, stauro means stake or upright pole and xylon means singular piece of wood.

The only singular piece of wood or (as I prefer to call it) PLANK around here 2520 is you.

Further Evidence of the Method of Crucifixion before the birth of Christ.

Three kinds of crosses were in use at the time: the so-called St. Andrew's Cross (X, the Crux decussata), the Cross in the form of a T (Crux Comissa), and the ordinary Latin Cross (+, Crux immissa). It is generally believed that Jesus was crucified on the last of these three. Also, the inscription board would most easily be mounted on this one, and in addition the testimony of those who lived nearest the time is in favor of this type of cross (Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, and many others).

The punishment of crucifixion was invented to make death as painful and as lingering as the power of human endurance. Here is one description of how it occurred: First, the upright wood was planted in the ground. Next the transverse (horizontal) wood was placed on the ground. This piece was called the antenna. The sufferer was laid upon it, and his arms were extended, drawn up, and bound to it. Then a strong, sharp nail was driven, first into the right, then into the left hand (the clavi trabales). Next, the sufferer was drawn up by means of ropes, perhaps ladders; the transverse either bound or nailed to the upright, and a rest or support for the body (the cornu or sedile) fastened on it. Lastly, the feet were extended, and either one nail hammered into each, or a larger piece of iron through the two. And so might the crucified hang for hours, and even for days, in the unutterable anguish of suffering, till consciousness at last failed.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 2520years » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:19 pm

It all depends whether you accept the accounts of the people who witnessed it, or someone who was born nearly two thousand years later.  Everyone will make up their own mind, I was just making a point about how it's impossible not to tread on people's toes sometimes.

The Greek word rendered “cross” in many modern Bible versions is stauros. In classical Greek, this word meant an upright stake, or pale. Later it also came to be used for an execution stake having a crosspiece. The Imperial Bible-Dictionary acknowledges this, saying: “The Greek word for cross, [stau·ros´], properly signified a stake, an upright pole, or piece of paling, on which anything might be hung, or which might be used in impaling [fencing in] a piece of ground. . . . Even amongst the Romans the crux (from which our cross is derived) appears to have been originally an upright pole.”—P. Fairbairn (London, 1874), Vol. I, p. 376.

I can't believe you can be so un-p.c!
:sniffle   :D
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:21 pm

The only singular piece of wood or (as I prefer to call it) PLANK around here 2520 is you.

PMSL :D
account deleted by request

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:22 pm

s@int wrote:People made their own entertainment before TV's and computers.  :D

:D

And nobody wondered "Hold on, is this politically correct ? "

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to General Chat Forum