Newkit book club - Recommended reading

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby PhiLFC » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:09 pm

Don't know whether this has been tried before but its similar to the movie thread.  What have you read that's worth reading or not... I read loads of books

I've just finished reading the autobiography of Sir Ranulph Fiennes, Mad Bad & Dangerous to Know.  The list of his exploits are too many to put here but the fact that he ran 7 marathons in 7 days on 7 different continents just a few months after suffering a heart attack  at the age of 59 is well.... breath taking.

If you want inspiration or just a damn fine read this book its well worth it... 9/10

Other books that I would recommend...

A short history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson...  A concise history of almost everything from the beginning of time to now - we're lucky to be here.  Probably the most interesting book I've ever read... 10/10

Scully, Alan Bleasdale... fckin hilarious... anyone remember the series... 9/10
PhiLFC

Postby metalhead » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:10 pm

There was a thread posted by Babu on Recommended books.

and basically it started with the book "A short history of nearly everything"  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:16 pm

Richard Bachman "the regulators" :;):
burjennio

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:21 pm

PhiLFC wrote:Don't know whether this has been tried before but its similar to the movie thread.  What have you read that's worth reading or not... I read loads of books

I've just finished reading the autobiography of Sir Ranulph Fiennes, Mad Bad & Dangerous to Know.  The list of his exploits are too many to put here but the fact that he ran 7 marathons in 7 days on 7 different continents just a few months after suffering a heart attack  at the age of 59 is well.... breath taking.

If you want inspiration or just a damn fine read this book its well worth it... 9/10

Other books that I would recommend...

A short history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson...  A concise history of almost everything from the beginning of time to now - we're lucky to be here.  Probably the most interesting book I've ever read... 10/10

Scully, Alan Bleasdale... fckin hilarious... anyone remember the series... 9/10

Mate read the feather men by ranulph feinnes. A true story about a group of ex soldiers who protect other ex soldiers, its an eye opener mate, especially the part where they torture a drug dealer, I recomend this book to everyone
112-1077774096

Postby dawson99 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:35 pm

burjennio wrote:Richard Bachman "the regulators" :;):

good book burjeno, have you read the cell by king? kidna close, but its all about the long walk for me, best bachman book.

re-reading american Gods at the moment by Neil Gayman, fantasic book
Last edited by dawson99 on Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:37 pm

PhiLFC wrote:I've just finished reading the autobiography of Sir Ranulph Fiennes, Mad Bad & Dangerous to Know.  The list of his exploits are too many to put here but the fact that he ran 7 marathons in 7 days on 7 different continents just a few months after suffering a heart attack  at the age of 59 is well.... breath taking.

i'll give that one a go, i reckon. will let you know my thoughts.
:)

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:40 pm

Most probs you lot on here wont know this Author but be nosy and look up Martina Cole everyone of her books best sellers and crackin read . And no there just not for birds
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:56 pm

dawson99 Posted on Feb. 07 2008,13:35
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote (burjennio @ Feb. 07 2008,13:16)
Richard Bachman "the regulators" 

good book burjeno, have you read the cell by king? kidna close, but its all about the long walk for me, best bachman book.

re-reading american Gods at the moment by Neil Gayman, fantasic book

I aint real the cell, I love the long walk though. Havnt read a King book in about 5 years, guess Im a slave to TV!
burjennio

Postby Woollyback » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:06 pm

razzle
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:14 pm

Try Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy.... if you're into fantasy fiction..... cracking read....
ConnO'var

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:26 pm

Nice to see a book thread again, we did have an extensive one a while back ,unfortunately I can't find the thread,  if anybody comes across it could you put up a link in this thread as there were some great books mentioned.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:14 pm

I have read loads of biographies lately and like them but its all about the person so hard to recommend unless you like or are interested in that person. But a few that stick out over the last few years not biographical are

Life of Pi
Selling Ben Cheever
Senor Marks. (great for Welsh history as an overview and not a ex crim cashing in book)
Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance (always worth another read every few years
Parklife, an old football book but excellent.

Ive read lots about the Bush administration ranging from the pop but effective arguments of Michael Moore to high level ex head of defence people.  All good but just left me depressed and angry
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:16 pm

zen and the art... is a fantastic book. still life with woodpecker by tom robbins is kinda similar if you like that kinda thing.

i cant do michael moore books,the guy is an absolute nob, if he ever looked for the other side in any way shape or form he might be onto something, but right now hes just a fat eejit
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:31 pm

my mate works for bbc and did some stuff with M Moore and reckons he is a colossal nob, actually dissapointed as he was a fan.  I like his work but take it with a pinch of salt as he uses pop arguments designed to ram home his point of view.  I admire him for just getting on with it when nobody else does and you need a sense of Hollywood as most people cant be bothered with political things or just dont have the attention span.  But sometimes arguments are complicated and have to be thought out with consideration for the side your not on and he doesnt do this at all
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:40 pm

Last edited by Dundalk on Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum