Books your reading at the moment? - Any good ones?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby kazza 1 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:16 pm

For Christmas my son bought me 2 Stephen King books, "The Tommyknockers" and "Salems Lot". I have read Salems Lot which is very good, a lot better then the film. I'm now reading "The Tommyknockers", which has been very hard to get into, but its starting to get better now. I'm also reading another Stephen King book, called "Cell", which i think is his latest book. Its about a virus that is carried in every mobile operating in the world. Within hours, those receiving calls would become infected. The lead character is Clayton Riddle, a young artist, who has to reach his son before the boy switches his phone on.. and time is running out!! Its one of those books that has no real introduction the the story. The horror of the story starts a early as page 3 and I hope it continues the whole way through.

If you have read anything lately, post the name of it in this thread and give it marks outta 10 so if anyone else wants to read it, they will know how good you thought it was. And  BE HONEST

Stephen King - Salems Lot.  A very good read if your into horror. A lot better than the film. It made me jump a few times.  7/10

Stephen King - The Tommyknockers. Again a lot better then the film. A lot scarier and a lot more interesting 6/10
Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:21 pm

reading the feathermen again by ranulph fienes, a brilliant none fiction book about a group of ex soldiers who protect other ex soldiers, he was aved by the feathermen, its a great read that i am sure woof would appreciate
112-1077774096

Postby CardinalRed » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:25 pm

Don't read much fiction to be honest, I prefer History books 'cause you can dip in and out of them.
I've currently got "100 Decisive Battles" and "Eight Men Out" (the story of the rigged 1919 Baseball World Series) on the go, both fascinating stuff and most importantly....Real

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:28 pm

love fiction. ir ead cell by king and thought it was outstanding, his best in years.

currently reading the regualtors, by stephen kings alter ego richard bachman.. a good lil horror

best book read recently were the straw men trilogy (crime horror by a british writer) by michael marshall, i urge u o check them out
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:30 pm

At present I'm reading "The Utility of Force" by Rupert Smith.

Good book.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby dawson99 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:31 pm

is that the book talked about on the daily show? the british major dude?
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:37 pm

I prefer autobiographies to all other types of books. I read ficton and I enjoy it but when I read autobiographies I know it really happened and that.

I am currently re-reading Mick Foley's autobiography - funny and brilliant.

I read Peter Kays the other night - its short but funny.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:38 pm

Street without Joy by Bernard Fall , an account of the French military experience in Indochina .

Depressingly engrossing .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza 1 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:40 pm

dawson99 wrote:love fiction. ir ead cell by king and thought it was outstanding, his best in years.

currently reading the regualtors, by stephen kings alter ego richard bachman.. a good lil horror

best book read recently were the straw men trilogy (crime horror by a british writer) by michael marshall, i urge u o check them out

I bought Stephen Kings "Cell" yesterday. Have only just started reading it. So far it seems quite good. I'm also reading "the Talisman" by King and a guy called Peter Straub. Its very good. Its a bit of a bumpy ride at the beginning but it gets better. Its one of those books that you need to read when your on your own. If someone talks to you, you loose where you are and have to start again, if you know what I mean :)
Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:42 pm

Fiesta's Readers Wives
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:40 pm

dawson99 wrote:is that the book talked about on the daily show? the british major dude?

Yep, he was a general in Iraq and Bosnia.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:40 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Street without Joy by Bernard Fall , an account of the French military experience in Indochina .

Depressingly engrossing .

I'm thinking of picking that up woof. I think that part of French history is fascinating.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:41 pm

I'm trying very hard to read "Moby Dick" but the first 100 pages are death...get to feckin' sea already! :angry:

Speaking of the sea, I finally read "Treasure Island" recently...class! :pirate
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby andy_g » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:04 pm

i don't have anywhere near as much time too read literature as much as i'd like as most of my reading time goes on research...

but i recently read two flann o'brien books back to back - 'the third policman' and 'the dalkey archives'. both genius and both hilarious. if you like slightly surreal, irreverent irish humour at its best i highly recommend them.

and for those of us who are lost fans the third polideman is wrapped up in the mystery - see this lostpedia article
Last edited by andy_g on Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:11 pm

I'm reading this book, at the moment, but in Spanish  "Q"

Here is the english version:

http://www.wumingfoundation.com/pdfdownload/Q1_pdf.zip

Yes, it's free, yes  it's legal to download it, and yes, it's class, provided you like some history based books. It's based in all the religious and political intrigues there were in Europe in XVI century.

Worth a download.

Further info in wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_(novel)
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum