New balls please! - Tennis - who's winning the thing.

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Judge » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:34 pm

dawson99 wrote:got both the williams brothers playing tomorrow, and if murray beats nadal i will buy everyone on this site a moped

i love those twist and goes
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:47 pm

See ya Andy
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:25 pm

BUTTHEAD MURRAY IS OUT!
:nod  :buttrock
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:27 pm

I can't believe a Spaniard is reaching far in Wimbledon. I'd rather expected Spain be gold medal in Bobsleigh rather than that, we have been traditionally cráp on that surface.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:37 pm

Sabre wrote:I can't believe a Spaniard is reaching far in Wimbledon. I'd rather expected Spain be gold medal in Bobsleigh rather than that, we have been traditionally cráp on that surface.

He is f'ckin brilliant Sabre, this years final should be very interesting.
Federer was class against Ancic but Nadal just totally dismantled Murray.
He covers the court better than any player i have seen and whips his returns back at such pace with the deftest of angles and also virtually skimming the net.
Amazing to watch Rafa is.

One thing that was doing my head in was the commentary team, they were talking about because Rafa is a leftie (left handed) it would be harder for Murray to reach the return of serve because it will slice away once its bounced from his back hand.
Well correct me if i am wrong but wouldnt Murrays serve from his right do the same to Nadals left or am i missing something  ???

Felt sorry for Murray in the end, it was like a man against a boy, outclassed he was, but imo Nadal is that good there was little the scot could do.
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:54 pm

It was what you call man against boy

Ill tell you what if anyone had a bet on Him hes looking magnificent.

Last week a Spaniard won the golf a new kid amazing player .

Spain won the football and Raffas looking good

What a Spanish treble
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:56 pm

Nadal destroyed Murray.

LOL
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:16 pm

The commentators also said Murray was tired after his 5 set game on Monday and thats why he never played so well!! :laugh:
It would not have made a matter if he had not played for a fortnight ffs he still would have been well beaten.
Murray is very hard to warm to,he's a miserable kunt getting interveiwed,never smiles and has no personality!

They say he's only cause hes only 21 he can still win Wimbeldon one day.In reality it sounds like praying to me.All the great players were much better than Murray is at 21..Oh and Nadal is only a year older,Murray will have him to beat throughout his career and better!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:27 am

Ace Ventura wrote:One thing that was doing my head in was the commentary team, they were talking about because Rafa is a leftie (left handed) it would be harder for Murray to reach the return of serve because it will slice away once its bounced from his back hand.
Well correct me if i am wrong but wouldnt Murrays serve from his right do the same to Nadals left or am i missing something  ???

I think you are missing something Ace... :D

The difference is that there are much fewer southpaws as compared to righthanders on the circuit. As such, a player like Rafa will be seeing that particular shot on a daily basis against righthanders and will therefore be more used to it as he's had more match experience with it. The opposite is true with right handers. I play a little and let me tell you, lefties are a b!tch to play against. What your mind tells you isn't possible against a right handed opponent frequently catches you offguard when you play a left hander. I believe the same is true for almost all racquet sports.

Rafa's been on fire in this tournament and I must say I've been impressed with how much he's improved on this surface... The 1st time I saw him play on grass, I thought he was utter shyte and didn't think he'd ever be able to cope. But kudos to the lad, he's proved a lot of doubters wrong.

If Safin beats Federer, I think the Spaniard will destroy him in the final. If he faces Roger though it'll be much more interesting.

With Federer's form this year, I still think that Rafa is in with a more than fair shout at taking his 1st Wimbledon home. But he'll have to do it without one of his main weapons against the single-handed backhand.... On grass, the ball simply doesn't jump as much as it does on clay (and to a lesser extent, on the Rebound Ace surface), so Roger will not have to hit too many backhands from above the shoulder height.... by far the weakest shot in his arsenal.

So if Rafa does need to play and beat him to break his Wimbledon duck, he would have deserved as it is some task to do so on grass against the best grass court player I've seen since Borg... Even Pistol Pete would have had trouble with the Swede at his imperious best, IMO.

If it's Safin he faces, my guess is that it'll be a walk in the park for Nadal. Safin just cannot handle Nadal on any give day , IMO.

Of course Rafa has to beat whatisname 1st!  :wwww
ConnO'var

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:21 am

Conn, that makes sense about not being as familiar with facing the left handers but that wasnt what the commentators were implying, they were making out that Nadal has an advantage because he can spin his serves away from the back hand as it was coming in from left to right, they even showed one of the serves and said it was too hard for Murray to get even close because of the ball spinning away so much.
Surely right handers when serving right to left against Nadal can do the same ?

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:09 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:Conn, that makes sense about not being as familiar with facing the left handers but that wasnt what the commentators were implying, they were making out that Nadal has an advantage because he can spin his serves away from the back hand as it was coming in from left to right, they even showed one of the serves and said it was too hard for Murray to get even close because of the ball spinning away so much.

Technically you're correct Ace... The mechanics behind the out-swinging slice swerve is the same regardless..... But the mental and tactical aspect of the serve and when you use it is different for lefties as compared to righties.

You only get real out-swing when you serve from the right (love-all) side if you're a righthander... vice versa if you're a leftie. Now if most of the opponents you face are right handed and you're one yourself, the wide serve will out-swing into your opponents forehand on one court and in-swing into your opponents backhand on the opposite court. As such, the wide serve is not as effective when you serve from the right side if you slow it down by imparting slice/side spin on it simply because your right handed opponent has a longer reach as he's hitting with his forehand. So what most guys do is to seldom hit the serve with spin out wide when serving from the right. What they tend to do is to hit much flatter on the 1st serve to try and overpower the receiver. As such their out-swinging wide serves simply are not practiced enough as tactically there's more advantage to master the flat, wide serve when serving from the right.

For the leftie, the opposite is true as you're out-swinging into the righties backhand and as most of your opponents are right handed, it makes sense to master that particular serve. Consequently, their flat wide serves are usually not as good as right handers. If you can, observe 2 lefties playing each other. Invariably, they'll go down the middle on 1st serves when serving from the left (15-love) side as they'll be more comfortable hitting the ball flatter in that general direction due to the lower net height at the middle. Their wide serves are almost never served flat... simply because they are less confident in hitting a serve they have very little reason to use for most of their opponents.

Does that make any sense at all.... cause I think I've probably succeeded in confusing meself let alone you with all that waffling...  :wwww  :D
ConnO'var

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:13 pm

ConnO'var wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:Conn, that makes sense about not being as familiar with facing the left handers but that wasnt what the commentators were implying, they were making out that Nadal has an advantage because he can spin his serves away from the back hand as it was coming in from left to right, they even showed one of the serves and said it was too hard for Murray to get even close because of the ball spinning away so much.

Technically you're correct Ace... The mechanics behind the out-swinging slice swerve is the same regardless..... But the mental and tactical aspect of the serve and when you use it is different for lefties as compared to righties.

You only get real out-swing when you serve from the right (love-all) side if you're a righthander... vice versa if you're a leftie. Now if most of the opponents you face are right handed and you're one yourself, the wide serve will out-swing into your opponents forehand on one court and in-swing into your opponents backhand on the opposite court. As such, the wide serve is not as effective when you serve from the right side if you slow it down by imparting slice/side spin on it simply because your right handed opponent has a longer reach as he's hitting with his forehand. So what most guys do is to seldom hit the serve with spin out wide when serving from the right. What they tend to do is to hit much flatter on the 1st serve to try and overpower the receiver. As such their out-swinging wide serves simply are not practiced enough as tactically there's more advantage to master the flat, wide serve when serving from the right.

For the leftie, the opposite is true as you're out-swinging into the righties backhand and as most of your opponents are right handed, it makes sense to master that particular serve. Consequently, their flat wide serves are usually not as good as right handers. If you can, observe 2 lefties playing each other. Invariably, they'll go down the middle on 1st serves when serving from the left (15-love) side as they'll be more comfortable hitting the ball flatter in that general direction due to the lower net height at the middle. Their wide serves are almost never served flat... simply because they are less confident in hitting a serve they have very little reason to use for most of their opponents.

Does that make any sense at all.... cause I think I've probably succeeded in confusing meself let alone you with all that waffling...  :wwww  :D

ConnO'var...the Big Mick of tennis!  :bowdown  :D

Makes sense to me, mate, but it would...I'm a leftie (though not much of a tennis player).  :;):
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:21 pm

Apparently Venus Williams will play Rustie Lee in the women's finals.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:51 pm

all male final: the williams brothers
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:25 am

Bad Bob wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:

ConnO'var...the Big Mick of tennis!  :bowdown  :D

Makes sense to me, mate, but it would...I'm a leftie (though not much of a tennis player).  :;):

:D

Too old and travel too much to play football regularly anymore... So in an effort (most times in vain!) to stay fit, I've picked up tennis in the last few years. I love playing it as much as I used to love watching it. Mrs Conn used to play competitively when she was much younger and she got me hooked on the sport years back..... she can still beat me on a regular basis! But since Annie was born, I've got the upper hand back...   :p

But not for long I reckon.. as soon as she gets back into shape, she'll be back kicking me @rse on a regular basis again!

:D  :D
ConnO'var

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum