Movies - What have you been watching ?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:56 pm

After firstly reading Dan Wells superb novel I Am Not A Serial Killer I was looking forward to watching its adaptation to the big screen, I wasn't disappointed even though its largely shot on a low budget, it still has enough to intrigue and enthral in equal measure.

It's a macabre little tale that simply has Cult film written all over it, and I think the film has introduced us to a young actor who truly knows his art, Max Records delivers a performance as the clearly unhinged John Wayne Cleaver that is as powerful as it is eloquently subtle and Christopher Lloyd's performance ensures the disquiet continues unabated.

If you haven't read the books then I  cant recommend them enough.

“I used to have a list of people I was going to kill one day. Its against my rules now, but sometimes I really miss that list.” 

“The monster behind the wall stirred. I'd come to think of it as a monster, but it was just me. Or the darker part of me, at least. You probably think it would be creepy to have a real monster hiding inside of you, but trust me - it's far, far worse when the monster is really just your own mind. Calling it a monster seemed to distance it a little, which made me feel better about it. Not much better, but I take what I can get.”

“I cursed him then, not because his tears were fake, but because they were real. I cursed him for showing me, with every tear and every smile and every sincere emotion he had, that I was the real freak.”

“Even if I didn't have any empathy, she did, and that meant I could use it against her. Where logic failed, guilt might save the day.”

“Alone we were just one weird kid who talked to himself and one weird kid who never talked to anyone; together we were two weird kids having a semblance of a conversation. It wasn't much, but it made us look a little more normal. Two wrongs made a right.”

“When a clown kills somebody, that's new—that's something you've never seen before. Here's someone you thought was good, and he's doing something so terrible that normal human emotion can't even deal with it—and then he turns around and does something good again. That's fascinating. It's not weird to be obsessed with that, it's weird not to be.”

'The thing about boxes,' I said, 'is that you can open them up. Even though they're completely boring on the outside, there might be something interesting inside. So while you're saying all of these stupid, boring things I'm imagining what it would be like to cut you open and see what you've got in there.” 

Dan Wells

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:10 am

Don't know what music you lads are into but I've been a long time admirer of the Pat Travers band from back ion the 70's, his music doesn't age. There's a 'Makin' Magic' compilation set of vids on you tube if you're interested.

Meanwhile watch this drummer showing folks how it's done... magic:

Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:18 am

Any of you guys watched "Arrival".

Caught it last night, interesting movie.
Concept was quite good, something different not like your usual alien invasion.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:53 pm

Ive seen Arrival, I love sci-fi and enjoyed it though I found it confusing to be honest, hard to follow.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:40 am

It was interesting yup same here i like Arrival.
What did you find confusing about it mate?
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:05 pm

redshade » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:18 am wrote:Any of you guys watched "Arrival".

Caught it last night, interesting movie.
Concept was quite good, something different not like your usual alien invasion.

Watched a couple of weeks ago, good movie,  but not as good as I hoped it was gonna be   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby redshade » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:27 pm

I found the concept and outcome interesting. Wouldn't say it was mind blowing but interesting.
My cons are i felt it was bit slow at times and like you said expected a lot more.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:07 am

What type of movies are you guys into?
What genre?

My favourite type of movies are Mystery, mind bending movies like Shutter Island, prestige, The game, Inception, Memento, Vanilla sky etc...
I like movies that are open to the viewers interpretation.

I also like movies based on mythical worlds like War craft, Avatar, LOTR, Hobbits tale etc...

Don't mind war movies aswel like brave heart, The last samurai.

Have you guys seen Old boy?
Im on about the Chinese original in 2003 not the remake.

If you do watch it all i will say is prepare your mind to be royally screwed at the end.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:29 pm

redshade » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:07 am wrote:What type of movies are you guys into?
What genre?

My favourite type of movies are Mystery, mind bending movies like Shutter Island, prestige, The game, Inception, Memento, Vanilla sky etc...

I also like movies based on mythical worlds like War craft, Avatar, LOTR, Hobbits tale etc...

If you do watch it all i will say is prepare your mind to be royally screwed at the end.

I like all sorts of movies (apart from "Rom Coms" ) , don't have a particular favourite when it comes to genre but I do watch loads of Chinese, Japanese and Korean movies. Saw "Old Boy" when it first came out, brilliant movie but you may have upset some Koreans by describing it as a "Chinese original"  , it's a Korean movie    :;):

If you're halfway interested in Asian movies you should really trawl through the "Asian Invasion" thread, it's full of some great recommendations for some top notch films.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby redshade » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:59 pm

:D i thought Oldboy was Chinese.
Sorry to any Korean fans here.

Yup will have a look at asian invasion thread.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:13 pm

Watched "Split" the other day.

Awesome movie really enjoyed it. Acting buy Jame Mcavoy was insane.
Interesting twist at the end maybe we will see a series.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:37 pm

redshade » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:13 pm wrote:Watched "Split" the other day.

Awesome movie really enjoyed it. Acting buy Jame Mcavoy was insane.
Interesting twist at the end maybe we will see a series.

Mate I've still got that one queued up on my hard drive, I'm gonna have to try and watch it this Easter weekend   :)

Meanwhile. Watched a low budget but brilliantly produced and acted dark comedy last night.

It's not gonna win any Oscars but deffo worth a watch if you like a chuckle with you blood shedding    :D 

No Big Explosions, No Mad Car Chases, No Complicated Plot.

But it did hold my attention and made me laugh

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby redshade » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:31 pm

I'll give that a go.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:59 am

redshade » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:07 am wrote:What type of movies are you guys into?
What genre?

Wow... your likes are very similar to mine mate. Wasn't shutter island wonderful? I think it is very under rated. How about Identity? did you watch that one?
i think psycholigical thrillers are not easy to make. they can fall flat. So these movies that really makes you glued to the seat and gets you excited by the 'revelation' need to have really good crew of directors and actors.

Braveheart is also one of my all time favourites...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:58 am

Shutter Island was amazing. The ending blew me away. There was no way i could've predicted that.
I would recommend all to watch that.

Yes i have watched Identity but sadly i have kind of forgotten what happens lol i remember bits and bobs just not the outcome. I watched in back in 03 when it came out.
Im going to rewatch it soon.

Yup i agree psychological thrillers always need a strong outcome to flourish with strong characters.

Recent movie Gone Girl was quite good.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum