Joes wonderful wwii thread - If it wasnt for america blah blah blah

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Red @ Heart » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:58 pm

well i saw in the footy thread that If it wasnt for America we would all be speaking german...................

so guys please continue it was getting interesting.
"GERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD what a goal"
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby red37 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:01 pm

'ifithadnerbinferunclesam' eh  :D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ciggy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:05 pm

red37 wrote:'ifithadnerbinferunclesam' eh  :D

:laugh:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:07 pm

Well according to the encyclopedia BRITANica, The American military contribution, while small compared to that of the Allies during the entire war, was in two respects decisive in the outcome. The U.S. Navy, fully prepared at the outset, provided the ships that helped the British overcome the submarine threat by the autumn of 1917. The U.S. Army, some 4,000,000 men strong, was raised mainly by conscription under the Selective Service Act of 1917; the American Expeditionary Force of more than 1,200,000 men under General Pershing reached France by September 1918, and this huge infusion of manpower tipped the balance on the Western Front and helped to end the war in November 1918, a year earlier than military planners had anticipated.

and we played a MUCH bigger role the second time around.
JoeTerp

Postby Red @ Heart » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:09 pm

thye only entered cos of Pearl harbour, as sad as it was they were never going to enter the war, i think we would have been ok with out the Yanks, we had the russians (gulp), and are the USA still pi55ed at the fact the russians got to berlin first  :p
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby Red @ Heart » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:11 pm

JoeTerp wrote:Well according to the encyclopedia BRITANica, The American military contribution, while small compared to that of the Allies during the entire war, was in two respects decisive in the outcome. The U.S. Navy, fully prepared at the outset, provided the ships that helped the British overcome the submarine threat by the autumn of 1917. The U.S. Army, some 4,000,000 men strong, was raised mainly by conscription under the Selective Service Act of 1917; the American Expeditionary Force of more than 1,200,000 men under General Pershing reached France by September 1918, and this huge infusion of manpower tipped the balance on the Western Front and helped to end the war in November 1918, a year earlier than military planners had anticipated.

you joined the war 2 years from the end :P, the worst of the war was over by that time.
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:14 pm

We LET the Russians get Berlin first, that is actually pretty well documented. Eisnhower slowed down the troops tremendously because he knew that teh Russians bore the brunt of the war and wanted them to have the satisfaction of taking Berlin.  He payed for it later when he was president though dealing with the cold war and a divided Germany and Berlin.
JoeTerp

Postby Red @ Heart » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:16 pm

but in all honesty america wanted to take berlin, ive seen a few docus on the war,
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:17 pm

Red wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:Well according to the encyclopedia BRITANica, The American military contribution, while small compared to that of the Allies during the entire war, was in two respects decisive in the outcome. The U.S. Navy, fully prepared at the outset, provided the ships that helped the British overcome the submarine threat by the autumn of 1917. The U.S. Army, some 4,000,000 men strong, was raised mainly by conscription under the Selective Service Act of 1917; the American Expeditionary Force of more than 1,200,000 men under General Pershing reached France by September 1918, and this huge infusion of manpower tipped the balance on the Western Front and helped to end the war in November 1918, a year earlier than military planners had anticipated.

you joined the war 2 years from the end :P, the worst of the war was over by that time.

we didn't have a whole lot of business joining WWI in the first place, although Wilson wanted to, the public weren't buying it because a lot were German or Irish immigrants who obviously wanted us to enter on the other side.  And like it said, although we joined late, we probably shaved a whole year off the thing, saving a lot of lives
JoeTerp

Postby taff » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:31 pm

I dont even know where to begin with this one.

WW1 Of course America did not have to enter the war but being part of the global economy and the inevitable threat that would have gone their way it was in their best interest to do so, not to save the allies but to assert themselves globally.  Germany failed in their last assault at the beginning of 1918 which led to their downfall, before American troops were in position so it was all over for them anyway. America did play a minor part but thats not to belittle America its merely a fact. 

Why Americans want to rewrite history is beyond me, you have a great history if you stick to the facts so stick to them and be proud of what you are.

A third of the signees of the declaration of independance were Welsh but had moved to America so they are American, we dont harp on about that, its your history and good luck to you. 

And before you have a go at the French if it wasnt for them you would all be speaking English :D  :D as it was them that stopped us giving you a battering in the war of independence and they gave you a huge statue as well.  So if you want to drag up history the French could play that game as well.  But they were more interested in helping a nation gain independance and freedom and equality, a funny lot the French.

If you want WW2 views than I will be more than happy to oblige as long as you dont quote any idiotic people like Stephen Ambrose who was in love with Eisenhower.  Im sure the Russians would have strong views on him as well.  And as for Berlin dont get me started as the Bulge gave the Yanks a fright when they realised the Germans still had some fight in them.  Im sorry that Hollywood gets it wrong sometimes  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:45 pm

I'll back the American mate on this one. When it comes to the WWII, as Spanish and European as a whole I do think that the American contribution in the European war was a key one and I'm grateful for that.

The only "but" from my view was the after war. They endorsed the Spanish dictator instead of forcing him out because they preffered a Right Winged dictatorial Spain, than a more Communist and democratic one.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:02 am

If it wasn't for the Japs, then Hitler would have conquered the world  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:04 am

Whenever any american says "If it wasnt for us youd be talking german" just the simple reply of "If it wasnt for us youd have nowhere to live !"
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:06 am

Seriously speaking, I agree with Joe about the U.S being a major contributor in both WWs.

I guess its also down to Hitler making some major mistakes throughout WW2 that led to his downfall.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:49 am

The yanks played a crucial role in WWII - no question, only after they finally lifted their finger, and only after Europe had been decimated.
Whilst Europe was being torn apart, they sat back and rubbed their hands, profiting from munitions/supplies sales.
We only finished repaying loans to the yanks initiated during WWII, in 2006, with interest - the cheeky feckers.

Overall, grateful for their ultimate involvement, but mindful that they let a madman wreak havoc across much of Europe and a third of Africa before they finally acted. Even then, it's debatable whether they would have become involved, but for Pearl Harbour.

Generally speaking (my perception drawn from a number of sources/experiences), the yanks believe they are the greatest nation on earth, the most benevolent nation on earth, everything begins and ends in America etc....blah fecking blah - arrogant, ignorant and insular spring to mind.

Having watched a few of the Republican Presidential candidates lately, I've come to the realisation that the attitudes cited above, must be held by a fair few Americans - or else they wouldn't be so widely endorsed in the polls.
LFC2007

Next

Return to General Chat Forum