Economic crisis thread - Latest news/how it affects you

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:45 am

Number 9 wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:
Number 9 wrote:Thats the thing though,hundreds off thousands don't have this mortgage rate.Also thousands are being paid off every week in factories,building jobs,mortgage shops,call centres etc etc etc!

As for its to do with the press..BULLSH'IT..tell that to the 27000 who lost their jobs in Woolworths!

I think what you meant to say is you're own mortgage is safe and so is your job!Unfortunately there are millions out there living on a knife edge.
Everyones bound to know someone in dire straights.two mates of mine for example have been put on a 3 day week until further notice,there are plenty in the same boat and worse!

As for prices coming down,thats simply because traders know that people dont have the ££ to spend.Bring prices down or sell nothing,they have no choice!

Thats about it. The problem is, this country is greedy. Starting from the government and work your way down. Despite the doom and gloom that is happening, who is being hit worse? the rich folk who put us in this mess? of course not, they look after there own. Looking at the year past, its not just money, its lives at risk. You look at the authorities in charge of Baby P, there goal was to meet the requirements set by the standards set by the government to ensure goals were met by there standards, it was unfortunate with Baby P, he really did need help.

Look at the reaction since this problem, the credit crunch. Its the unemployed who are the problem, they are soaking up all the resources, not the banks, or the rich tax dodgers, its our fault for being unemployed. Its our fault because we are out of work and fall below the standards of being employed because of where we live, having a family to support and above all not being able to invest in projects set up by the government.

People who were working and now unemployed are now falling into that "your fault" trap, and its sick.

Its time the government was changed, its time the companies and individuals making money from this country and giving nothing back were brought to account. Its time to treat everyone fairly, across the board. But that wont happen for a long time, because as long as someone is low enough to be kicked, they will be.

You are right mate.I was out of work for about 5 months and it was 100% because of the credit crunch.The building stopped practically over night here so there were no houses needing Plumbing/heating put in.As a result about 50% of the workforce in the building trade were made jobless and I was one of the casualties.

Its a laugh when you go and ask for help with income/rent etc.After paying tax every week for 16 years I was made to feel as if you are a tramp asking for help.Why are you not working?Well because there are no jobs advertised in what I do..Im not qualified to do anything else!
Well retrain they said.They offered me to work in an office learning IT for 6 months 9-5 for an extra £15 a week! :laugh:
But I dont want to work in an office,I dont want IT qualifications.I went to college for 4 years because I wanted to do what I do.Well if you dont take this job we will stop your money!
Shower of kunts.It was a fight time and time again to get what Id paid tax for since I began work.
Never wanna be back there again..Im glad I got a good job now and lifes good!

The thing is though I dont mind this hard approach to bums that dont want to work and screw the system for everything they can get.But if a person who genuinely wants to work is out of work because of the current climate they should be given a bit more help..not treated like a scum bag,dole for life bum!

I guess the government would argue..that everyone is treated the same.In some circumstances though thats not on!

I don't know anything about your life obviously but it mightn't be a bad idea to work in another area (even though there is f*ck all extra money in it) as you never know - you might end up good at it, get promotions, get new career etc , also the building industry might be screwed for the next 5-10 years. My neighbour is an engineer but used to be an accountant, got fed up so did something completely different and loves it.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:12 pm

Big Niall wrote:
Number 9 wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:
Number 9 wrote:Thats the thing though,hundreds off thousands don't have this mortgage rate.Also thousands are being paid off every week in factories,building jobs,mortgage shops,call centres etc etc etc!

As for its to do with the press..BULLSH'IT..tell that to the 27000 who lost their jobs in Woolworths!

I think what you meant to say is you're own mortgage is safe and so is your job!Unfortunately there are millions out there living on a knife edge.
Everyones bound to know someone in dire straights.two mates of mine for example have been put on a 3 day week until further notice,there are plenty in the same boat and worse!

As for prices coming down,thats simply because traders know that people dont have the ££ to spend.Bring prices down or sell nothing,they have no choice!

Thats about it. The problem is, this country is greedy. Starting from the government and work your way down. Despite the doom and gloom that is happening, who is being hit worse? the rich folk who put us in this mess? of course not, they look after there own. Looking at the year past, its not just money, its lives at risk. You look at the authorities in charge of Baby P, there goal was to meet the requirements set by the standards set by the government to ensure goals were met by there standards, it was unfortunate with Baby P, he really did need help.

Look at the reaction since this problem, the credit crunch. Its the unemployed who are the problem, they are soaking up all the resources, not the banks, or the rich tax dodgers, its our fault for being unemployed. Its our fault because we are out of work and fall below the standards of being employed because of where we live, having a family to support and above all not being able to invest in projects set up by the government.

People who were working and now unemployed are now falling into that "your fault" trap, and its sick.

Its time the government was changed, its time the companies and individuals making money from this country and giving nothing back were brought to account. Its time to treat everyone fairly, across the board. But that wont happen for a long time, because as long as someone is low enough to be kicked, they will be.

You are right mate.I was out of work for about 5 months and it was 100% because of the credit crunch.The building stopped practically over night here so there were no houses needing Plumbing/heating put in.As a result about 50% of the workforce in the building trade were made jobless and I was one of the casualties.

Its a laugh when you go and ask for help with income/rent etc.After paying tax every week for 16 years I was made to feel as if you are a tramp asking for help.Why are you not working?Well because there are no jobs advertised in what I do..Im not qualified to do anything else!
Well retrain they said.They offered me to work in an office learning IT for 6 months 9-5 for an extra £15 a week! :laugh:
But I dont want to work in an office,I dont want IT qualifications.I went to college for 4 years because I wanted to do what I do.Well if you dont take this job we will stop your money!
Shower of kunts.It was a fight time and time again to get what Id paid tax for since I began work.
Never wanna be back there again..Im glad I got a good job now and lifes good!

The thing is though I dont mind this hard approach to bums that dont want to work and screw the system for everything they can get.But if a person who genuinely wants to work is out of work because of the current climate they should be given a bit more help..not treated like a scum bag,dole for life bum!

I guess the government would argue..that everyone is treated the same.In some circumstances though thats not on!

I don't know anything about your life obviously but it mightn't be a bad idea to work in another area (even though there is f*ck all extra money in it) as you never know - you might end up good at it, get promotions, get new career etc , also the building industry might be screwed for the next 5-10 years. My neighbour is an engineer but used to be an accountant, got fed up so did something completely different and loves it.

No mate im fine now.
I got sorted,got a good job Im happy in.

I could'nt afford to start retraining in anything even if I wanted to.The money is shi'te when your training in any job for ages until you get qualified and work your way up,no matter how good the job may be in the end!
But your rent/mortgage does'nt go down and the bills keep coming.
Besides I like what I do and was'nt gonna be pushed into being some office gimp..it would'nt be for me!
No offence to any office gimps of course! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:31 pm

The credit crunch/recession is hitting the world in different ways. I personally am doing better of late. My employment (engineering) hasn't seen any negative effects yets, my salary and perks haven't been cut back. My mortgage is a BOE base rate tracker so I'll be seeing substantial savings (£200+ per month compared to this time last year) till the end of this year when my deal runs out. I can't complain but have sympathy for those worse off.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:39 pm

Big Niall wrote:People who lose their jobs now should be on a much better dole than the scum who have never worked.

This crises is because we had the biggest property boom ever built on really lower interest rates and the fear that if you didn't buy now it would be 10% more next year. Also, we are all greedy, I myself bought a second property from plans on the basis that property always goes up (spot the flaw :D ) but thankfully got is sold a year ago when things began to go t!ts up.

Falling property means construction workers and many others lose their jobs, then banks have their massive losses and layoffs, media hype it up even more to put the fear into us so we stop spending so there are more job losses, so we are more fearful and cut back more so more losses etc.

The fault is that the governments did NOT control the lending policies of the banks so they created a bubble. If there had been no bubble and just slow steady increase then we'd all be fine and have much smaller mortgages to repay too.

What your saying is true in principal but the credit crunch we see today is a direct result of the collapse of the US housing market and the knock on effect of the global investment in it.

US mortgage lenders were lending frivolously (far worse than ours were), investment bankers were selling portfolios of these fragile mortgages to foreign investment (predominantly US and European investor). As soon as these fragile mortgages started going bad (i.e. defaulting and repossessions) the value of these mortgages portfolios (ABS and CDO products) dived and inevitably wiped millions/billions off of the investment value.

The reason we felt the impact was the majority of investors of these fragile mortgage portfolios were the uk high street banks and large plc's. The fact of the matter was as soon as those investments went bad and they had to admit losses they tightened their spending and lending policies - viola you see the credit crunch as we live in today.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:02 am

Both my wife and son work in banks (or at least my son did till last week :(  ) He was a mortgage advisor, now he's looking for work. My wife thinks she is safe ......for the moment anyway.

Luckily I have no mortgage so the only effect it has had on me is a paper loss on the price of my house, and a reconsideration of moving house which we had planned.
account deleted by request

Postby Number 9 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:50 am

s@int wrote:Both my wife and son work in banks (or at least my son did till last week :(  ) He was a mortgage advisor, now he's looking for work. My wife thinks she is safe ......for the moment anyway.

Luckily I have no mortgage so the only effect it has had on me is a paper loss on the price of my house, and a reconsideration of moving house which we had planned.

Is it paid off or are you squatting mate? :D

Hope your son finds work son mate...its shi'te being out of work!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:56 am

One of the banks here lent a developer around €150m to buy one or two acres of land in a top part of Dublin, the developers plan was to build apartment blocks 18 storeys high, sounds okay so far - however the development plan for that part of dublin says that you can only go 6 storeys high so it is impossible for him not to make a huge loss (at the height of the market), we all assumed he'd bribed the council to change their rules but they haven't .

The bank will just have to right it off and the taxpayer make up the difference (he probably put up about 5%).

Makes me mad :angry:
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:03 am

I don't care that my apartment has lost about 80k in value since the peak as I don't plan on moving, I am happy to be paying about €500 less every month in mortgage payments.

If I drove (I don't) I'd also be happy about cheaper petrol.

I'm doing my best for all you Brits though, I buy most of my clothes, technology etc in England when I am over as the Sterling is so cheap, most of the people I know just drive from Dublin to Newry (Northern Ireland) to buy televisions etc.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:23 am

Number 9 wrote:
s@int wrote:Both my wife and son work in banks (or at least my son did till last week :(  ) He was a mortgage advisor, now he's looking for work. My wife thinks she is safe ......for the moment anyway.

Is it paid off or are you squatting mate? :D

Hope your son finds work son mate...its shi'te being out of work!

knew you were a b(w)anker :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:16 pm

Big Niall wrote:I don't care that my apartment has lost about 80k in value since the peak as I don't plan on moving, I am happy to be paying about €500 less every month in mortgage payments.

I'm doing my best for all you Brits though, I buy most of my clothes, technology etc in England when I am over as the Sterling is so cheap, most of the people I know just drive from Dublin to Newry (Northern Ireland) to buy televisions etc.

I'm very close to the border and the town I live in is dead on its feet because everyone just heads up to Newry now - for everything and I mean everything.

I cant complain though because being a border town it swings one way then the other, we weren't complaining when everyone from Newry was coming down here.

But I work retail and because of the way it is my job is hanging by a thread   :(
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:01 pm

From Sky News

The European Central Bank has slashed its interest rate to 2%, matching its lowest ever level.

The reduction by 0.5% marks the fourth month in a row the rate has come down in response to the downturn on the Continent.

The move follows last week's decision by the Bank of England to reduce the base rate to 1.5%, the lowest level in its history.

The ECB's decision to cut the rate from 2.5% was in line with market expectations and left the rate at its lowest level since December 2005.

It followed a 0.75% cut last month.

The Bank has now reduced interest rates on four occasions since October from a high of 4.25%, though it has stopped short of the more aggressive cuts enacted by the US Federal Reserve, which has rates set between zero and 0.25%.

Business confidence surveys have pointed at a deeper than anticipated recession in the now 16-nation single currency zone.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:29 pm

Dundalk wrote:
Big Niall wrote:I don't care that my apartment has lost about 80k in value since the peak as I don't plan on moving, I am happy to be paying about €500 less every month in mortgage payments.

I'm very close to the border and the town I live in is dead on its feet because everyone just heads up to Newry now - for everything and I mean everything.

I cant complain though because being a border town it swings one way then the other, we weren't complaining when everyone from Newry was coming down here.

But I work retail and because of the way it is my job is hanging by a thread   :(

DD How are the fuel prices compairing now mate?

It used to pay people to drive quite a bit from the North to cross the border and fill up!
Has that changed now too?
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:57 pm

There used to be queues of cars in all the petrol stations around here, it got really annoying because when you went to get petrol it it would take at least half an hour!

Different story now, its about the same now both sides, sometimes it can be a little cheaper up North but most people just go to there local station - it beats thousands all trying to use about 3 stations  :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:34 pm

Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:01 pm

Barratt Shoes and PriceLess Shoes have just gone into administration.

It just seems to one after another now, every day its someone else
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum