Economic crisis thread - Latest news/how it affects you

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Woollyback » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:11 pm

the housing market looks like it MIGHT be bottoming out at the moment. nationwide (not known for being overly optimistic) have said there is a fair chance house prices may end 2009 higher than they were in january. whilst that is no consolation to everybody who's getting laid off, it's actually very important - firstly, it starts to rebuild confidence (the economy is all about confidence at the end of the day). people moving house also generates a shedload of money - not just for builders/estate agents but for retailers as well as people start to buy sofas/washing machines etc. but it also gives the banks more confidence in lending - and only when they start lending to businesses will companies be able to expand and take on staff again. i reckon the next 12 months will still be very ropey but this mess won't last forever
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:53 pm

I think Britains kick in the rocks is just around the corner. The government are borrowing like crazy so that the full impact of Brown's decade of folly isn't felt until after the election. Then the devaluation of the sterling will cause an interest rates rise and the real suffering will begin.

Ireland is well f*cked. We just published the bill today that explains how we will buy 90bn euro of half built blocks and land that are basically worthless.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:28 pm

yep the bill's coming in the post for us alright. but gordon brown doesn't give a monkey's about that cos he won't be prime minister when the inevitable tax rises get announced. the tories will be in government by then, but of course they'll get the blame for having to mop us labour's mess (again). 'tis the same old cycle of british politics - labour spend spend spend until the books no longer balance, then the tories get the flack for giving us the bitter pill necessary to pay off the overdraft. loada old bollox if y'ask me

if unemployment goes up to 15% then they should sack 15% of MP's - that'd get the f uckers thinking for once
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:44 pm

I feel sorry for all the graduates who will be caught up in this unemployment perod. When things turn for the better again employers will want fresh graduates and not someone who has possibly been out of work for 2 years.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:47 am

bavlondon wrote:I feel sorry for all the graduates who will be caught up in this unemployment perod. When things turn for the better again employers will want fresh graduates and not someone who has possibly been out of work for 2 years.

thats you fu'cked then :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:14 am

bavlondon wrote:I feel sorry for all the graduates who will be caught up in this unemployment perod. When things turn for the better again employers will want fresh graduates and not someone who has possibly been out of work for 2 years.

I expect degree holders will do masters, phds etc.

I remember about 20 years ago my older brother's friend worked for nothing for a company for six months just to get experience on his c.v. That is probably illegal now though (minimum wage)
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:39 am

Judge wrote:

thats you fu'cked then :D

Actually I graduated a few years back so im ok.  :p

Although my sis is in her 2nd year so will be tough when she finishes.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum