Economic crisis thread - Latest news/how it affects you

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Dundalk » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:34 am

Well I manage a furniture store and the drop in sales in the last year has been alarming. People stop building houses, no new houses equals no new furniture. Its hard to keep your chin up when things have got so slow.

Ah well at least it cant go on forever
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:05 am

Well being a bookie, people will always find the money to gamble there way out of trouble so I'm still here
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:42 am

I'm doing okay but have a massive mortgage (owe €250k) so the fear of losing my job is sitting at the back of my brain. I'm a saver so I have enough to see me through a year. I think losing a job is more than just financial, it is very hard on a man's ego - we are made to work,earn, provide etc.

Funny how cheap credit and borrowing got us into this mess and the governments (who got us into this mess) think that low interest rates and increasing the national debt (i.e. borrowing) is the solution.

Worrying that the Germans (who aren't doing too badly) think that Britain is doing the wrong thing by borrowing to spend its way out - nobody will know who is right for a few years.

This is much more serious than the 1980s recession hence why the bank of england has its lowest ever rate in over 300 year history.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:44 am

The media annoy me too. They say unemployment (in Ireland) could go from 8% now to 12% by the end of the year i.e. an increase of 50%.

However, mathatmatically, they could say 95% of people working now will keep their jobs.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:49 am

Dundalk wrote:So we are in the middle of the biggest Recession since the 80s, more and more people are losing there jobs and company's are going bust by the minute.

So get it off your chest in here or post any news you hear - good or bad  :D . My job is hanging by a thread at the moment and Mrs Dundalk is in the bank so her job isn't exactly cast iron at the moment either.

Dark times ahead?

We willl have to wait and see....

Lost my job at the end of the Summer and had to get contract work, which is ending this week!

Ugh....
tonyeh

Postby Homebooby » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:57 pm

Big Niall wrote:The media annoy me too. They say unemployment (in Ireland) could go from 8% now to 12% by the end of the year i.e. an increase of 50%.

However, mathatmatically, they could say 95% of people working now will keep their jobs.

The media is the biggest culprit here if you ask me. The whole economy is based on speculation nowadays and they propogate the fears of everyone. They mention a slowdown and everyone is more cautious causing a slowdown.

From a pure standard of living perspective I agree that very little has changed provided you have fixed interest on your mortgage and haven't lost your job. Life has relatively got cheaper in the last 6 months I would guess.

On the business side is where I think most people are feeling it. Orders and work in general goes down, plus the arena becomes more competitive which drives profit margins down and everyone starts feeling the pinch.

The question is how much pinching can everyone absorb.

Personally I think that this is just another evening out of the playing field similar to what was seen in the telecoms market at the beginning of the decade. The dot com boom saw every Tom Dick and Harry having a go and a lot of them didn't make it as you can only have so many in one field. I would argue the same thing about the housing market. The whole market has been inflated beyond recognition due to everyone thinking that their tits are bigger than Sarah Beenys  :D

I realise I am speaking in a cold impersonal manner and I have every sympathy with anyone who is suffering. Having lost my job in the IT sector several times, you kind of get used to it  :D, which can't be a good thing.
Homebooby

Postby dawson99 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:05 pm

Homebooby wrote:
Big Niall wrote:The media annoy me too. They say unemployment (in Ireland) could go from 8% now to 12% by the end of the year i.e. an increase of 50%.

The media is the biggest culprit here if you ask me. The whole economy is based on speculation nowadays and they propogate the fears of everyone. They mention a slowdown and everyone is more cautious causing a slowdown.

From a pure standard of living perspective I agree that very little has changed provided you have fixed interest on your mortgage and haven't lost your job. Life has relatively got cheaper in the last 6 months I would guess.

On the business side is where I think most people are feeling it. Orders and work in general goes down, plus the arena becomes more competitive which drives profit margins down and everyone starts feeling the pinch.

The question is how much pinching can everyone absorb.

Personally I think that this is just another evening out of the playing field similar to what was seen in the telecoms market at the beginning of the decade. The dot com boom saw every Tom Dick and Harry having a go and a lot of them didn't make it as you can only have so many in one field. I would argue the same thing about the housing market. The whole market has been inflated beyond recognition due to everyone thinking that their tits are bigger than Sarah Beenys  :D

I realise I am speaking in a cold impersonal manner and I have every sympathy with anyone who is suffering. Having lost my job in the IT sector several times, you kind of get used to it  :D, which can't be a good thing.

Stop being such a  c.cok    :angry:  :angry:

Nobodie's t!ts are bigger than Sarah Beenys  :p

People will spend, they always will, things turn around, they always do.
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:24 pm

I think I need a pic before deciding who's right on this one Dawson. :D
account deleted by request

Postby Judge » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:26 pm

i think organ harvester s@int will be making a profit from the economic downturn :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:29 pm

hmm
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:41 pm

Big but not very pretty is she

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:46 pm

Judge wrote:i think organ harvester s@int will be making a profit from the economic downturn :D

I am making a fortune selling organs on e bay, unfortunately I couldn't sell your organ Judge, seems most people think its undersized and a very peculiar shape. It might have been an easier sale if you hadn't posted pics of it all over the Web.  :D

Postby dawson99 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:47 pm

s@int loves getting his hands on a nice organ  :oh:
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:40 pm

s@int wrote:Big but not very pretty is she

There's something of the hoighty toighty posh bint about her that deffo makes up for it. You need to see her in motion really to judge fairly and see whether she'd get you to, ahem, rise up the property ladder.

She'd have it I say
Homebooby

Postby Judge » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:57 pm

s@int wrote:
Judge wrote:i think organ harvester s@int will be making a profit from the economic downturn :D

I am making a fortune selling organs on e bay, unfortunately I couldnt sell my organ, as me todger is very small and wouldnt make a chipolata stall in a german market

:D
Last edited by Judge on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum