Calling all techies...

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:35 am

s@int wrote: :laugh:  FFS post your question, then at least people will know whether they are capable of answering it.  :D

Saint, you're a harsh man  :D

Here goes...

I have a desktop PC with a wireless dongle that "used" to be OK until a couple of days ago. Basically I moved it downstairs (as it happens, a bit further away from the wireless router, if that has any bearing on the problem).
Anyway, I updated some software on the PC last night (windows updates mostly), downloaded AVG free version and installed....everything OK so far.
All of a sudden, I've no Internet connection. I can 'see' the router via the dongle console so it's making a connection to it, but no outside connection to the WWW.
I've set to "obtain IP address automatically", no joy. (Incidentally, from my laptop connected to the same router, all is hunky dory - on the laptop, the Default Gateway has the same IP address as the router; the IP address differs only in the last digit).
Tried giving the desktop PC an IP address similar to above, incrementing by 1 on the IP address, no joy.
If I try to disable/re-enable the wireless connection, it hangs on the "Renewing your IP address" part.....and then hangs.....and then tells me to contact my Tech Support ! So it doesn't seem to be picking up an IP address, even though when I checked on the router console, it's set to assign one to connected devices...

I've been at this over the weekend and I'm lost at this stage....Any ideas folks ? Much appreciated !
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:10 am

You probably know more about routers than me mate, but if it was me I would do a system restore back to before you installed Avg and the windows updates (back to when the comp was connecting to the internet)Then re-install the windows updates ..... check if everything is still ok...... then install Avg again etc etc until you hit a problem.

Option 2 :- open a command prompt and then IPCONFIG /RELEASE : IPCONFIG /RENEW :IPCONFIG /ALL

Best option :- wait till someone who knows what they are talking about posts the answer  :D
account deleted by request

Postby babu » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:49 am

bunglemark2 wrote:
s@int wrote::laugh:  FFS post your question, then at least people will know whether they are capable of answering it.  :D

Here goes...

I have a desktop PC with a wireless dongle that "used" to be OK until a couple of days ago. Basically I moved it downstairs (as it happens, a bit further away from the wireless router, if that has any bearing on the problem).
Anyway, I updated some software on the PC last night (windows updates mostly), downloaded AVG free version and installed....everything OK so far.
All of a sudden, I've no Internet connection. I can 'see' the router via the dongle console so it's making a connection to it, but no outside connection to the WWW.
I've set to "obtain IP address automatically", no joy. (Incidentally, from my laptop connected to the same router, all is hunky dory - on the laptop, the Default Gateway has the same IP address as the router; the IP address differs only in the last digit).
Tried giving the desktop PC an IP address similar to above, incrementing by 1 on the IP address, no joy.
If I try to disable/re-enable the wireless connection, it hangs on the "Renewing your IP address" part.....and then hangs.....and then tells me to contact my Tech Support ! So it doesn't seem to be picking up an IP address, even though when I checked on the router console, it's set to assign one to connected devices...

I've been at this over the weekend and I'm lost at this stage....Any ideas folks ? Much appreciated !

I'm not joking. I experienced this many times with XP.

Your solution - windows 7.

or try http://portforward.com/

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:05 pm

babu wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:
s@int wrote::laugh:  FFS post your question, then at least people will know whether they are capable of answering it.  :D

Here goes...

Thanks for the replies folks (you too S@int !)

Presumably there's a licence cost to upgrade to Windows 7? Any idea what it costs, and if there's a min. hardware spec for this ?
It's a fairly old-ish PC, so at a minimum I need more RAM, possibly would be better off with a higher spec tower altogether...

Cheers
bunglemark2

Postby heimdall » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:16 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:
babu wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:

Here goes...

Thanks for the replies folks (you too S@int !)

Presumably there's a licence cost to upgrade to Windows 7? Any idea what it costs, and if there's a min. hardware spec for this ?
It's a fairly old-ish PC, so at a minimum I need more RAM, possibly would be better off with a higher spec tower altogether...

Cheers

do NOT upgrade to Windows 7 do a fresh install, very important, upgrades are very shakey.

BTW It sounds to me like your laptop with the dongle is set to a fixed ip address instead of find one automatically, either that or it's just too far away now. If you move it closer to the router does it still not work? I've never heard of AVG antivirus messing the conection up. Might be worth trying to turn the windows firewall of as well and as S@int said try uninstalling the various updates and avg etc until it works again.
heimdall

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:11 pm

heimdall wrote:do NOT upgrade to Windows 7 do a fresh install, very important, upgrades are very shakey.

BTW It sounds to me like your laptop with the dongle is set to a fixed ip address instead of find one automatically, either that or it's just too far away now. If you move it closer to the router does it still not work? I've never heard of AVG antivirus messing the conection up. Might be worth trying to turn the windows firewall of as well and as S@int said try uninstalling the various updates and avg etc until it works again.

It's not set to a fixed IP address - it's set to obtain one automatically. I thought about distance from the router - I think it does an initial handshake to establish connectivity, but I think that happens *before* either a WEP or WPA key is exchanged, no ? In either case, I brought the router closer, and signal strength was better, but still don't get past that point.
The reason I ask about AVG is because there's a Firewall built into v9.0, even the free version. I have/had already disabled the Windows Firewall to start with, but perhaps I need to disable the AVG one too. At this stage, I think I'll uninstall the whole AVG package anyway.
The Windows updates were Windows Live updates - not sure what was included in the bundle, or how to check, but it took feckin' ages...again, that might be 'cos of an underspec PC...
bunglemark2

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:17 pm

If you uninstall Avg, make sure you also delete the AVG folder that it leaves behind, as this can cause problems when you reinstall Avg again.
account deleted by request

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:24 pm

Will do and will keep ya posted...
bunglemark2

Postby heimdall » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm thinking it's probably more down to updates than avg though, i just can't see why the firewall would block a connection to the router that just doesn't make any sense and I've never had problems with avg or any firewall stopping a connection to the router. Can't hurt to uninstall it though.
heimdall

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:15 pm

Well, feck me, but I got it working, and probably saved a few quid (didn't have to pay anyone for their expertise !)
Happy days...
Anybody know of any s/w (preferably free !) to keep kids safe from dodgy sites ?
bunglemark2

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:21 am

Use opendns. It filters your Internet browsing and stops access to sites of your choice
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:14 am

I have a problem. And its really starting to tick me off.

My PC is freezing way too much. I could be simply browsing the internet or replying on this forum when the bloody thing just freezes then continues after a while as if nothings happened. The same with games. I could be playing FM2010, RE5 or whatever then it freezes.

I have tried everything to try resolve this problem. I have restored the settings to factory therefore wiping the hard drive. I have installed the latest graphics drivers and sound drivers (also the old ones that came on cd with the pc). I have updated the chipset drivers. I have set the pc to not install any updates from windows and vice versa. I have tried overclocking the graphics card (which worked nicely for the performance, didnt stop the freezing though). I have run registry scans, virus scans, advert scans and still the problem is there.

I am using Vista Home Premium. I am at the conclusion that it must be this that is causing the problem. I am on the verge of installing XP to see if this is the problem. Im asking simply to see if anyone else comes to the same conclusion I do and that Vista is the problem and that I should get rid. And yes Windows 7 would be nice but impossible as im bloody skint !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:31 pm

How much RAM have you got in the PC ? And whats the spec of the chip ? Could be that you need more firepower - I'd check the min spec for Vista versus what you have...I'm basing this on you saying you're thinking of downgrading to XP, which suggests your PC might be a few years old, no ?
bunglemark2

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:08 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:How much RAM have you got in the PC ? And whats the spec of the chip ? Could be that you need more firepower - I'd check the min spec for Vista versus what you have...I'm basing this on you saying you're thinking of downgrading to XP, which suggests your PC might be a few years old, no ?

My PC is just less than a year old. It has 4 gb RAM in a dual core processor. Its not the specs, to be honest I havent the foggiest what it is. When I reboot it seems to run ok for an hour or so then it starts freezing.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:24 pm

Kharhaz wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:How much RAM have you got in the PC ? And whats the spec of the chip ? Could be that you need more firepower - I'd check the min spec for Vista versus what you have...I'm basing this on you saying you're thinking of downgrading to XP, which suggests your PC might be a few years old, no ?

My PC is just less than a year old. It has 4 gb RAM in a dual core processor. Its not the specs, to be honest I havent the foggiest what it is. When I reboot it seems to run ok for an hour or so then it starts freezing.

OK....have you added more RAM into the PC since you bought it ? Could be that - if you have put in additional memory - it's related to the RAM voltage. Some need to be "set" to run at a specific voltage e.g. 1.7V.
bunglemark2

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum