World cup 2018 bid

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Sniddle » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:33 pm

You've gotta love them giving the bid to a tiny country with nothing in place.  The US has dozens of in-place 60k + seater stadiums that are perfect for a football pitch.  The only thing that would have hindered the US operation was the lack of public transportation and large distances that people would have to cover between games.

Also, the fan experience is going to be hindered , as Qatar, bans alcohol, at least I think so. :(
Sniddle

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:41 pm

metalhead wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:A victory for money and corruption - Russias was the worst bid of the 2018 bidders and Qatar dont have a thing in place to host the World Cup - but oil money has worked very well for them .

watch Qatar get their stadiums up and running in 4 years

What happens after the world cup , what about transport , accommodation , training facilities - they have nothing and then after they will be left with empty shells. I hope it ruins them - the World Cup should be all about the football experience , the history , the legacy - now it's all about the money - I hope it financially cripples them .
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:46 pm

Then what about the fans - dress codes for both male and female , drinking laws , accommodation and transport , cost , fans parks , the weather . The FIFA delegates stated that Qatar was in no position to hold the World Cup and came with the most risks .
Benny The Noon

Postby Sniddle » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:10 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Then what about the fans - dress codes for both male and female , drinking laws , accommodation and transport , cost , fans parks , the weather . The FIFA delegates stated that Qatar was in no position to hold the World Cup and came with the most risks .

Burka's are very stylish.  They're like a lightweight snuggie with hood.  People could get one in a variety of prints for their s/o.   :)
Sniddle

Postby burjennio » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:45 pm

Metalhead clearly has experience of Qatar that must of us dont, so Im not going to argue points that clearly he has 1st hand experience of but for me that decision is the far more dubious one of the two decisions today. In practical terms, Im not talking futuristic stadiums and a phenomenal new transport system, this decision is absolutely INSANE. The average fan doesnt disappear once they leave the stadium for Christs sake, they have to walk straight into that 50C heat. And MH again you mentioned about it being easy to get a beer but from my knowledge of the country (obtained in work googling all day :D)  its only obtained at selected outlets or sold to ExPats with a special piece of documentation.

Id also like to point out that its against the law to be perceived as drunk in public in Qatar. I dont know about you lot but Im straight to the bookies tomorrow to stick a tenner on N. Ireland, ROI, Scotland and England all qualifying for this one, because Sods law says its a statistical certainty
burjennio

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:06 pm

My only problem with the Qatar bid is that FIFA themselves reported that Qatar posted the most risk to host a World Cup, yet they won the bid hands down. Corruption is clearly rife, the reports generated by FIFA officials are clearly not considered and can only be a smoke screen.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Good Yank » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:29 pm

:censored: terrible.  England bid shot down in first round of voting?  WTF?

I won't even bother stating my view of the 2022 decision.  Just a :censored: farce on all accounts.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:55 pm

RT @WorldSoccerEd: Peter Hargitay, ex Blatter adviser, Australia 2022 consultant, shocked by Qatar decision: "one day I'll tell real story"

Interesting.........
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Bitter all around, bitter that the Arabs got one over the west.. I'm loving it :buttrock  :laugh:
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:15 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:What happens after the world cup , what about transport , accommodation , training facilities - they have nothing and then after they will be left with empty shells. I hope it ruins them - the World Cup should be all about the football experience , the history , the legacy - now it's all about the money - I hope it financially cripples them .

What transport do they need? trains, subways? Qatar is a small country, and their public transportation is excellent. Taxi and bus services are plenty and not very costly.

Alcohol is only prohibited in public places, but not in bars or clubs, so there is plenty of beer to go around but don't get drunk while driving it is considered as a serious offense. Their laws are very similar to the ones I experienced in the UAE regarding Alcohol and other things. Yes they have the Sharia law, so what? so it doesn't make them qualified to host the World cup? ??? They also have one the best Sports academy in the world, and that tells you something about their ambition in Football and sports in general. They have the money to do everything right and provide a world class coverage and world class accommodation for fans. I don't doubt their credentials, they will definitely recruit European or US agencies to do all of their work in preparation for 2022 because they have the money. Plus its 12 years away, many things can change.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:28 pm

I can't say I'm not disappointed, very disappointed. Fair enough, you want to give developing nations or those who are yet to host the tournament a chance of doing so because it extends the reach of FIFA and the game of football and all that, but not every fecking four years. We've just had SA, then it's the turn of Brazil, then Russia, then Qatar.... Why not break it up with a leading European bid - which England's was - since so much of the game is based in Europe and you can be sure it'll deliver. Whatever their reasons for not selecting the England bid it wasn't based on technical/commercial merit. Perhaps it was genuinely down to legacy and reach, or perhaps it was down to power politics, who knows, but the fact that 20 members of the electorate didn't vote for England suggests there was a lot more to it than simply legacy: how exactly does Belgium/Netherlands make for a better technical/commercial bid, for instance. Anyway, good luck to Russia and Qatar.
LFC2007

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:30 pm

metalhead wrote:Plus its 12 years away, many things can change.

Even the climate?  :D
LFC2007

Postby rocky29 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:07 pm

lol england only got 2 votes out of 22 and one was englands vote.
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby rocky29 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:08 pm

lol england only got 2 votes out of 22 and one was englands vote.
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:20 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
metalhead wrote:Plus its 12 years away, many things can change.

Even the climate?  :D

probably  :p

bloody hell.. 50 C.... played footy in that type of weather once, it was night though and it was 45 C with alot of humidity, didn't last for 20 minutes :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion