The way to make domestic cups and Europa league matter again

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sat May 19, 2012 3:32 pm

The sad sight of the domestic trophies in not just England but other countries turning into meaningless pieces of metal and the once prestigious Uefa cup now becoming the equivalent of European reserves competition is really starting to ruin the game of football. Recently we have seen our own owners state that winning the domestic cups is not enough to keep a manager in employment as the domestic cups do not provide the financial rewards needed to challege for the two biggest prizes the premier league and the champions league.

Surely a simple solution to make the FA cup, the League cup and the Europa League important again is to reward the winners of the Europa league a place in the champions league? this would immedietly give teams a reason to play there strongest sides in the domestic cups and Europa league as this would provide an alternative route into Europes top competition. Making these cups more important, will make teams take it more seriously, meaning that fans will actually attend to watch the matches, TV audiences will increase, there for making sponsorship and TV revenue increase. More teams will make more money, the prestige of winning other competitions will return, surely this can only be a good thing?

Now i know some will argue that only the top teams shold gain entry into champions league, but surely the acheivement of winning a domestic trophy then winning the Europa league is a huge acheivment that only a top team would achieve? the same if a team finishes 5th or 6th then wins the Europa league, that requires 2 years of good work from a team, which i believe equals finishes 4th in the premiership, plus it rewards winning a trophy.

Im keen to see what others think and want to know why Uefa and the other football authorities have never considered such an easy and reasonable option?
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat May 19, 2012 4:17 pm

I've said that a few times before too. I really don't see what the motivation is to win the Europa League. A place in the CL would mean everyone would go for it, but they should also not let the losers from the CL group stages drop in.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sat May 19, 2012 4:43 pm

tubby » Sat May 19, 2012 3:17 pm wrote:I've said that a few times before too. I really don't see what the motivation is to win the Europa League. A place in the CL would mean everyone would go for it, but they should also not let the losers from the CL group stages drop in.

thats a good point as well, i would also stop the rule where the 3rd place group stage champions league teams go into the europa league, it devalues the tournament
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:05 pm

Sounds like a good idea. Most of the sides that compete in the EL aren't guaranteed CL places by qualifying via their domestic leagues (like us, heading into next season) so it would surely incentivise them to take the competition more seriously. Indirectly it would therefore increase the incentive to do well in the domestic cups.

Also, I think the EL should revert to being just the UEFA cup The new, longer format and the rebranding just hasn't worked.
LFC2007

Postby dawson99 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:06 pm

Have been saying this for years. whst the real point of finishing 4th and it being a good year! Europa cup and FA cup should def get champs league
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:09 pm

Fowler_E7 » Sat May 19, 2012 3:43 pm wrote:
tubby » Sat May 19, 2012 3:17 pm wrote:I've said that a few times before too. I really don't see what the motivation is to win the Europa League. A place in the CL would mean everyone would go for it, but they should also not let the losers from the CL group stages drop in.

thats a good point as well, i would also stop the rule where the 3rd place group stage champions league teams go into the europa league, it devalues the tournament

Who would make up the numbers, though? Unless the number of CL places were also cut, you wouldn't get a lot of the better sides competiting in it. When we won the UEFA I think in 2001 I think I'm right in saying we beat Barca and Porto teams that finished third in the CL group stages. They wouldn't have been in it otherwise.
LFC2007

Postby burjennio » Sat May 19, 2012 5:13 pm

English clubs are the only ones that treat the Europa League like a mickey mouse trophy. Its still highly revered everywhere else.

And the FA Cup should carry a CL spot but its the elite clubs in the premier league that make sure that never happens. Why would they risk their CL spot in a straight knockout when they know that over 38 games they invariably qualify in the top four?
burjennio

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat May 19, 2012 5:19 pm

Giving a CL spot to the FA Cup is stupid

The Europa league as said above is still valued highly by the continent - look at the strength of team put out by both Bilbao and Madrid.

It's only the arrogance of English clubs/fans that devalue the Europa league.
Benny The Noon

Postby dawson99 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:24 pm

Benny The Noon » Sat May 19, 2012 4:19 pm wrote:Giving a CL spot to the FA Cup is stupid

The Europa league as said above is still valued highly by the continent - look at the strength of team put out by both Bilbao and Madrid.

Why is it stupid for FA Cup? any actual reasons?
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:26 pm

No Italian side has reached the final for 12 years or something. That's how highly revered it is over there.
LFC2007

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat May 19, 2012 5:33 pm

dawson99 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:24 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Sat May 19, 2012 4:19 pm wrote:Giving a CL spot to the FA Cup is stupid

It would devalue the CL - two years ago we would of had Portsmouth in the CL ?!

You get CL reward for a whole season of consistency not 6 one of games.
Benny The Noon

Postby dawson99 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:35 pm

Benny The Noon » Sat May 19, 2012 4:33 pm wrote:
dawson99 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:24 pm wrote:

It would devalue the CL - two years ago we would of had Portsmouth in the CL ?!

You get CL reward for a whole season of consistency not 6 one of games.

So you think finishing 4th should be rewarded? Thats what is making the premier league a joke.

The FA cup is supposedly the best club competition in the world, esteemed, world renowned... make it actually worth something and maybe players wont give manager the bumps for comnig 4th
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat May 19, 2012 5:37 pm

Rewarding 4th is better than rewarding a team that dud well in 5 or 6 games during the season

Imagine if a championship team won the FA Cup and you had them in the CL ?! Or a team who got relegated ?

The CL will never allow that to happen.
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat May 19, 2012 5:38 pm

The FA Cup is already worth something - it's called winning the FA Cup - the greatest and oldest cup competition in world football.
Benny The Noon

Postby dawson99 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:39 pm

Benny The Noon » Sat May 19, 2012 4:37 pm wrote:Rewarding 4th is better than rewarding a team that dud well in 5 or 6 games during the season

Imagine if a championship team won the FA Cup and you had them in the CL ?! Or a team who got relegated ?

The CL will never allow that to happen.

Yes, imagine if a team that won the best cup competition our country will ever produced actually won soemthing decent. No, give it to 4th (yawn)

It should 110% go to the FA cup, make it the cup it should be. Imagine the excitement if a Championshiop club DID get to the final.. and win

That'd be amazing, a proper football story
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion