Should u.k football team enter 2012 olympics? - Yes,no,maybe?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Should u.k football team enter 2012 olympics? - Yes,no,maybe?

Yes
37%
No
26%
Maybe
11%
I couldnt care less
26%

Total votes : 27

Postby greenred » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:01 am

Im not so sure Mikz.Would a Scot support a U.K team with no Scots in it? I doubt it.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:11 am

:D Good point. Could end up a complete farce. Imagine if they didnt play well what the manager would get from the press  :laugh:
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:45 pm

be honest with you if it was picked today we all know it would be the England Team under a different name......maybe if Wales Agreed Giggs on the left........in 7 years time though who knows........Wales,Northern Ireland and Scotland might be the dominent forces in the uk.....VERY MUCH DOUBT IT ......but i think its very easy to say we want no part of it if obviously none of your players would be involved eh Scotland.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:02 pm

greenred wrote:Only trouble is a U.K team would verify to FIFA that Britain and Northern Ireland have no need for four separate places in international competitions.Seeing four regions united as one in the Olympics will prompt many countries to call for a U.K team in the World cup and European championship.That of course would mean the end of England,Scotland,Wales and North of Ireland as separate nations in football.Would a U.K team in the Olympics be worth all that ???

Quite the opposite greenred!!
In fact i think if FIFa seen a UK best team and there were 1 or 2 only in the squad that were not English this would emphasise more than ever the need to keep the 4 national teams seperate and with their own identities!
66-1120597113

Postby Big Niall » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:44 pm

If it was today would the manager be under pressure to have a token player from each country in the squad (if not the team).

England plus giggs should be it.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:52 am

As Mikz said, 20 years ago it would have been interesting.

A UK team around 1984-1988 would have had Neville Southall, Graeme Souness, Alan Hansen and Ian Rush as definite starters with Kevin Ratcliff, Paul McStay, Norman Whiteside, Ian Sharpe, Gordon Strachen, Steve Nicol, Alex McLeish, Brian McClair, Robert Fleck, Ian Snodin all very close to making it as well. In fact, there probably would only have been a few English players that would have been certain of a start.

As others said, now it would be England plus Ryan Giggs, and even then, Giggsy is not what he was and you could argue to have Joe Cole ahead of him now.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby sonyadudley » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:40 pm

don't our reds play enough football already???  :sniffle
sonyadudley

Postby dawson99 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:27 pm

yeah they should enter one somehow, even a youth team if they have to, but itd be interesting. if they dont then i'll get taff, kazza and a few scots and we'll go play
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:04 am

Why don't the stupid b*stards just allow England, Wales, Jockland and N. Ireland to enter seperate teams!?! WTF is the point of insisting on a "British" team?

It's all f*cking b*llocks if you ask me. ???

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed May 10, 2006 9:01 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:Why don't the stupid b*stards just allow England, Wales, Jockland and N. Ireland to enter seperate teams!?! WTF is the point of insisting on a "British" team?

It's all f*cking b*llocks if you ask me. ???

They don't allow seperate teams because the rest of the olympics is GB.

I think the idea of a team GB for footy is good, but remember its under 21s. And of course it would be biased against England, England represent the majority of the population so the majority of the squad would be English - a true representation. The problem with the combined team for the olympics is that FIFA may try and use it as a precident for combining the home nations into a single team. I don't mind a team GB for footy in the olympics because the rest of the events are team GB but for international professional football its not right
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:51 pm

The worry with a UK team at the Olympics is that is will give Blatter ideas.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:57 pm

Couldn't care less tbh but it will be yet more games we lose players to international duty. Although I think it's only a few players over a certain age that can be called up so can see Stevie at the very least getting called up.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:48 pm

Who cares about Olympic football?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:33 am

No as our lads (bless them) claim to be over tired already from 40 games a season....
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby brentd4 » Wed May 25, 2011 5:37 pm

greenred wrote:
zarababe wrote:It would likely be a Great Britain Team, since the flag bearere will be carrying the union jack. It's a great idea, I want Team GB to have the largest haul of medals ever, in 2012. Can't wait for the games to come here, as a Londoner so much to look forward to in terms of hosting a major event.. :)

Northern Ireland isnt in Britain Zara,so they would have to be called the U.K. team.

northern ireland is in britian, the republic of ireland isnt, 2 different countries
brentd4

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion