British olympic football team - A good idea?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:09 pm

I was watching the olympic football the other day and somebody asked why Britain has no team - I think they'd have to have one British league, is that right?

It'd probably be just England plus Ryan Giggs (who's English anyway) but in the old days when Scotland had a football team (Dalglish, Hanson, Strachan, Nicol, Souness etc) it'd have been great.

My mate reckons (I won't comment) that Scotland and Wales aren't real countries anyway as they are ruled from England and seem too chicken sh*t to go it alone (his words) that they should have a british league (basically premiership + Celtic+ the scum)

Any interest in getting Olympic gold?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:19 pm

No.
115-1073096938

Postby Gareth G » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:35 pm

Hope you arent reffereing to Rangers as scum!
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:41 pm

Firstly wales Scotland and Northern Ireleand are part of the United Kingdom but thats not a debate I want on this forum

And Ryan Giggs is welsh he was born in Cardiff in the docks part of the city popularly known as Tiger Bay and his Father was a rugby player who went up North to play for Swinton in Manchester.  Ryan changed his name due to family reasons and opted to play for Wales as he feels Welsh and contrary to popular opinion he made that choice
Like M Owen who lives in Wales but is English and we couldnt force him to play for us

A British olympic team I would support only if it used youngsters and ensured we did not have to have a British league or British senior team

Anyway who cares about Olympic football

Dissapointed Big Niall to be honest
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:46 pm

Who gives a sh it.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:50 pm

An the Olympics are important why ?
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:57 pm

Gee guys, I was just wondering whether anybody cared about football in the Olympics, other countries take it very seriously. Didn't mean to insult anybody (don't know what the difference between GB and UK is anyway? don't what to debate it either!)

Sorry for referring to Rangers as scum, I didn't think there'd be many LFC fans who'd follow them (thought Celtic would be the popular choice), I guess I am biased as I have heard first hand the chants of the Rangers fans and they aren't about football.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:02 pm

Taff - I gotta say I am surpised you feel so strongly about Ryan Giggs, I mean how many friendlies has he bothered to turn out for Wales.

I mean Roy Keane was a superb player for the past decade but after the World Cup I am pis*ed off that he is back. If I was Welsh, I'd feel something similar for a player who only fancies playing the big games. I bet if Giggs had opted for England he wouldn't have had so many hamstring strains mid week before recovering for the Weekend to play at Old trafford.

Anyway, that's a side issue.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:10 pm

Big Niall wrote:Sorry for referring to Rangers as scum, I didn't think there'd be many LFC fans who'd follow them (thought Celtic would be the popular choice), I guess I am biased as I have heard first hand the chants of the Rangers fans and they aren't about football.

Nah its ok, i dont really follow them now as the Scottish league is sh*te.

But keep in mind that protestants do follow Liverpool, and that there is plenty of us.

As for the chants, both sets of supporters are as bad as each other. You wanna hear some of the abuse i have taken while passing the nationalist Ardoyne lol.

I onece did the unthinkable for a protestant living in Belfast, i once bought a Celtic shirt lol, didn't go down to well.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:12 pm

It would just tire our players even more, I'm not interested really.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:37 am

kop 1892 - gotta admire your guts (or stupidity? ) in wearing the wrong shirt in the wrong place. Those boys (Celtic just as bad) take it all a bit too seriously.

Lets not forget that King Kenny was a Rangers fan as a boy.

I never understood how EVerton , formed by the catholic church have such close relations to Rangers who seem to hate Catholics (Irish ones anyway), look at Walter Smith, Gazza, Duncan Ferguson, Gough, Durie, etc while LFC seem to be close to Celtic (until we gave them John Barnes anyway).

alos I'm not bothered bothered about religion, last time I went to mass the pope was a teenager.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:10 am

Giggsy not playing friendlies is annoying but he is committed to us as he could have chosen England but didnt I was annoyed with the he is really English comment to be honest mate

As for the Olympics only if theres no pressure for a British League and youngsters only as to be honest who cares about olympic football If an LFC player was there now I would not be happy but it could be an excellent stepping stone for youth players
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:54 pm

Nice to see a british under 23 side participating , but the politics of fifa and the home FA's would prevent it .
Also who manages and who gets selected ,would it be purely on merit ?
If the olympic commitee allowed independant entries from england scotland etc etc then it could work.
Just had another thought   :p
the clubs wouldn't be too happy , with the Euro 2008 ,the african nations cup and the Olympic footy all happening within months of each other .
Changed me mind ......... It will never happen . :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Dom1 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:23 pm

taff wrote:Firstly wales Scotland and Northern Ireleand are part of the United Kingdom but thats not a debate I want on this forum

yes they are taff, what makes you say that??  ???
when you're 4-0 up..
you should never lose 7-1
Dom1

Postby Dom1 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:25 pm

Big Niall wrote:also I'm not bothered bothered about religion, last time I went to mass the pope was a teenager.

wow, are u that old....  :D 

in 1929 (about that time) was when u last went to mass  :D
when you're 4-0 up..
you should never lose 7-1
Dom1

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion