Should there be a vacancy....... - Possible managerial alternatives.

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:25 pm

Right this thread is nothing to do with the current manager, so lets not get involved in discussing him or his record. This thread is entirely about the possibilities for a new manager should we ever be in a position where we need one. Most everyone I should think had never heard of Rafa before he came, had never heard of Wenger, Avram Grant etc etc, and most people would have a view on the likes of Martin o'Neil and the blokes of his ilk.

The thread is about suggesting a name who is a in your view a possibility, AND TAKING THE TIME TO ACTUALLY PUT UP SOMETHING ON HIS RECORD. You can even put up something about a manager who has been mentioned in dispatches who you wouldn't personally like to see. If we can, while discussing any future potential candidates could we avoid the old "but he wouldn't come here" routine.

I'll start the ball rolling with Klinnsman . Now Rafa was pretty uncomplimentary about him in an interview last week, but in actual fact the Germans record isn't as bad as some on here have given the impression. He took over from Rudi Voller as national coach in 2004 after a disasterous Euro campaign under the moustachioed ex front man. He completely revamped the way the team played and copped lots of flak, bringing in lots of youngsters. At the World Cup in 2006, he led a largely unfancied team to the semi finals, beating Argentina in the quarters. In the semi's, they were beaten in extra time by the eventual winners, Italy. They then beat Portugal in the 3rd place play off.

Klinnsman was given a hero's welcome on his return, and was coveted for some of the biggest jobs in World football. He was voted German coach of the year 2006, and resigned his post, taking over at Bayern Munich. His record in the league was P29, W16, D6, L7. In the Champions League it was P10, W6, D3, L1. In the league Bayern were three points off the top of league with five games to play when Klinnsman was sacked. They were beaten in the Champions League quarter finals by Barcelona. Klinnsman boutght Frank Ribery for a club record 25 million Euro's, but spent his whole time at Bayern telling the board that the playing side needed significant investment.

Ironically after sacking Klinnsman, Bayern appeared to take his advice and spent big, signing Mario Gomez, Anatoliy Tymoshchuk, Ivica Olic, Danijel Pranjic and Edson Braafheid.

Klinsman is available and no doubt would jump at the Liverpool job should it ever become available.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:25 pm

Sorry Mods, put this in the wrong spot. If it could be moved to "general discussion" it's be better. Sorry guys and thanks.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:32 pm

do you want to be responsible for me choking to death because ive just nearly dont that reading that Michael, im telling you here an now if that fella ever came near this club, im sorry but i would actualy jib going the game, an im being deadly serious,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:40 pm

In 'ere.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:42 pm

Germany- Felix Magath and Hitflied both far more succesfull than Klinsmann in germany - both with unfancied teams as well - Magath did wonders with Leverkusen early 2000's

Jol - Did very well at spurs and then again at Hamburg

O Neill - Done well at every club managed so far - Wycombe,Norwich , Leicester won two trophies then Celtic and doing a decent job at Villa - not been tested at the big club level in prem and would be a risk but maybe one worth taking

Billic - done well with a talented croatia squad but untested at club level yet

Hiddink - superb manager but ties with chelsea -

Mancini - walked into a talented squad with Inter but won two title i think with them - young and still learning but very intelligent guy and think he could be a very good choice .

Riijkaard - done ok with Holland but very well with Barcelona but helped by having the best attacking pplayers in the world .

The question is do we look at a young untested fully manager at the top level and take a risk or look for someone who has been there and done it all

For me the outstanding choice would be Capello - won it all at every club been with - AC Milan,Madrid,Roma and revamped the England team - if we are looking for a manager  IF Rafa was no longer at the club he would be my choice .
Benny The Noon

Postby bigmick » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:44 pm

Just to come back to Nans point, Nan I'm not saying I want Klinsman as manager, I don't. He has though been mentioned many times by the press, so i'm just putting his record out there. In actual fact, contrary to what both Rafa and many posters on here said, it is pretty good. Rafa described him as being "an expert in marketing" which appears in reality to be an unfair summary of his achievements as a manager, although it was quite a funny line I'lll certainly give Rafa that.

The thread is about discussing any "potential" candidates who's name has been thrown up or who's name gets thrown up.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:44 pm

bigmick wrote:His record in the league was P29, W16, D6, L7. In the Champions League it was P10, W6, D3, L1. In the league Bayern were three points off the top of league with five games to play when Klinnsman was sacked.

Mick, what's the story there?  Seems like a ridiculous sacking based on just the numbers so there's got to be more to it than that.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:49 pm

From what i have read the fans didnt get on with him , the players didnt like his training methods and the management thought he would not get them into the CL due to their recent poor run of results including getting stuffed 5-1 by barce . Also rumours of him going away to america during the week and leaving the coaches in charge .
Benny The Noon

Postby bigmick » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:49 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
bigmick wrote:His record in the league was P29, W16, D6, L7. In the Champions League it was P10, W6, D3, L1. In the league Bayern were three points off the top of league with five games to play when Klinnsman was sacked.

Mick, what's the story there?  Seems like a ridiculous sacking based on just the numbers so there's got to be more to it than that.

I think the Champions League slots there are for the top couple of teams only Bob, or at the most the top three. At the time Bayern were three points off the top, there were apparently four other teams who were also in with a shout, the original five way dogfight. Bayern lost at Home to Shalke 1-0 and apparently Ruminigge and the rest of the hierarchy got nervous they might miss out on a Champions League slot (they did anyway I think).

Bayern started very slowly under Klinsman and won only a couple oput of their first seven or eight matches. It's also probably relevent that they are by far the dominant team in Germany, and while on the face of it being so close to the top doesn't appear to be too bad, it would be like Celtic or Rangers being third or something.

All in all though his record there was pretty good. They also lost only one Champions League match out of ten (albeit 4-0 to an excellent Barcelona team).
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:56 pm

Dalglish's record is unbelieveably good in all fairness. Wasn't he involved at Celtic though in Barnes's ill fated regime?
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:57 pm

But all over ten years ago Saint - thats the big problem i have with Kenny - if he had been out of the game only a couple of years then would snap him up now but ten years is a very long time . The pressure of the job at Liverpool  and everything else nearly ruined the man . He did well at Blackburn with a great lot of backing from Walkers money then tried the same at Newcastle but didnt work .

Looking at Kenny now do we really think he would step into the job knowing the pressure and expectation that comes with it ? Not for me . He looks relaxed in his life now , happy and conteent to be involved with the kids and being able to do what he wants and to help Rafa .Taking the Hotseat is an all together different animal - an animal i dont think he would take up .
Benny The Noon

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:57 pm

bigmick wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

I think the Champions League slots there are for the top couple of teams only Bob, or at the most the top three. At the time Bayern were three points off the top, there were apparently four other teams who were also in with a shout, the original five way dogfight. Bayern lost at Home to Shalke 1-0 and apparently Ruminigge and the rest of the hierarchy got nervous they might miss out on a Champions League slot (they did anyway I think).

Bayern started very slowly under Klinsman and won only a couple oput of their first seven or eight matches. It's also probably relevent that they are by far the dominant team in Germany, and while on the face of it being so close to the top doesn't appear to be too bad, it would be like Celtic or Rangers being third or something.

All in all though his record there was pretty good. They also lost only one Champions League match out of ten (albeit 4-0 to an excellent Barcelona team).

Ah, okay, I see.

That may be the extent of my contribution to this thread, as I know feck all about most potential managers out there.  Suffice to say, I have an open mind at this stage but pray that--should the time come--it will be a football decision and not a business decision that prevails.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:58 pm

bigmick wrote:Dalglish's record is unbelieveably good in all fairness. Wasn't he involved at Celtic though in Barnes's ill fated regime?

He was like the football of director there while Barnes was the coach - Italian type of management .
Benny The Noon

Postby redbeergoggles » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:00 pm

Lets go out and get Big Sam ,I mean if we are determined to shoot ourselves in the foot ,then lets go down burning ........................
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:01 pm

bigmick wrote:Dalglish's record is unbelieveably good in all fairness. Wasn't he involved at Celtic though in Barnes's ill fated regime?

Yeah but like the end of his time at Blackburn he was there mainly as Director of football. He took over as coach when Barnes was sacked and won them a cup and got second place.

Celtic
Scottish Premier League
Runner-up: 1999–00
Scottish League Cup
Winner: 2000
account deleted by request

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion