Policeman dies - Italian games suspended

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:13 am

why arent the italinans just kicked out of every competition until they get their house in order. we all know if all the recent scandals were in england we would be booted out before you could say boo.

we get threatened with expulsion every tournement ffs

---------------------------------------------------

Italy indefinitely suspended the country's international and domestic soccer matches on Friday after a policeman was killed during clashes at a derby game between Sicilian clubs Catania and Palermo, authorities said.

A 38-year-old police officer died shortly after a rioter tossed an explosive in his car, outside the Serie A match in Catania, police said. The death was the second in little over a week connected to an Italian soccer game.

About 100 people were wounded, between officers and fans, in clashes led by hooded rioters who hurled fireworks and lashed out at police with metal bars. Police said they arrested nine people and had detained 23 others.

The latest bloodshed stunned a nation that just last summer triumphantly celebrated their World Cup victory in Germany, and the government quickly called a high-level crisis meeting for Monday to hammer out emergency measures to halt the violence.

"We must send a clear message that we must stop the kind of degeneration of sport that unfortunately happens so often," Italian Prime Minister Romano Prodi said in a statement.

The Italian soccer federation (FIGC) quickly declared that all the weekend's matches were suspended, then clarified that the suspension was indefinite and that it also applied to the national team.

Italy were scheduled to entertain Romania in a friendly on Wednesday.

The world champions are due to host Scotland in a Euro 2008 qualifier on March 28. They are third in Group B two points behind the Scots and France.

EMERGENCY MEETING

"We can't continue to go on like this," said FIGC's extraordinary commissioner Luca Pancalli. "Italian soccer will stop. And it will stop until we identify a road, serious and drastic, to allow the possibility resuming championships."

Pancalli said the emergency meeting on Monday with the interior and sports ministers must identify new measures, "otherwise we won't start again".

Earlier this week he had threatened to halt the country's championships after violence last weekend also left one man dead.

An official of amateur league club Sammartinese died after being caught up in a fight at the end of a game. A minute's silence was to be held at games this weekend.

Friday's match, which Palermo won 2-1, had been suspended for more than a half hour after smoke -- partly from tear gas launched outside the stadium -- made play impossible.

But the most violent clashes came after the match. Hundreds of angry rioters put up a fight for hours, as streams of fans fled down city streets to safety.

The latest victim, policeman Filippo Raciti, who leaves behind a wife and two children, was in a "desperate situate" after a protest hurled an explosive at him inside his car, his doctor said. Raciti's heart stopped within a few minutes of his arrival at the hospital.

The Mayor of Catania, Umberto Scapagnini, was in the operating room during the forty five minutes of fruitless efforts to revive him.

"There just are no words to say - to see a life cut down like this there are just no words," Scapagnini said. "This is absurd, incomprehensible and absolutely unacceptable."

Palermo coach Francesco Guidolin summed up the mood.

"I am very disillusioned," he was quoted as saying by Gazzetta dello Sport's Web site (www.gazzetta.it).

"What has happened tonight offends sport and a beautiful and civil city like Catania. It can not go on like this. If we do not recapture certain values, it can not go on."

:no
112-1077774096

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:24 am

why arent the italinans just kicked out of every competition until they get their house in order. we all know if all the recent scandals were in england we would be booted out before you could say boo.

Exactly.
66-1112520797

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:28 am

it not even as though he was killed by a freak punch

The latest victim, policeman Filippo Raciti, who leaves behind a wife and two children, was in a "desperate situate" after a protest hurled an explosive at him inside his car
112-1077774096

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:39 am

Bribes, corruption, racist chants, racist players, match fixing, hooligans, murder, Italian football seems to have  the lot, and a charmed life to go with it.  Any other country would have been banned until they got their house in order.
account deleted by request

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:12 am

Well FIFA must be run by Italians, is all I can say.

F*cking disgrace.

RIP Fillipo. :no

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ste123lfc » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:23 am

ffs we can't even take a can of coke into a ground and these nobheads take a ferkin bomb in. Just ban the lot of them. The mind boggles
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:09 am

Its hatred without reason that makes it all the worse!

Sicilian mafia are probabbly the most sinister of all!
These peeople are in the shadows of the god father...they are animals !

Football fans and rioters are a seperate bunch........The way it is,if you were at the match you are guilty!In reality if you were not at the match you die anyway!
This is wrong!

Long live football! :)
66-1120597113

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:26 am

Bribes, corruption, racist chants, racist players, match fixing, hooligans, murder, Italian football seems to have  the lot, and a charmed life to go with it.  Any other country would have been banned until they got their house in order.

Agreed, they should be kicked out of all UEFA competitions until they sort it out.

The same goes for Spain and Eastern Europe where they've had considerable problems with racist chanting.

Fook them.

Less Italian and Spanish teams = Better chance of another European Cup for us.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ste123lfc » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:27 am

I have to agree lets kick barca out and all teams with a portugese manager.
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:38 am

ste123lfc wrote:I have to agree lets kick barca out and all teams with a portugese manager.

Wise up!
66-1120597113

Postby Sabre » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:31 am

RIP Filippo.

Rather than banning whole countries I'd ban the clubs that do not deal with this problems. There are well known clubs in Spain and Italy that have violent groups of fascists shouting racist chants, intimidating normal fans, and using the stands as a platform for their minoritary ideology.
Last edited by Sabre on Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:18 pm

Italian players' association president Sergio Campana wants the suspension of football in the country to last for up to a year to allow for a proper solution to the problems of violence to be found.

The FIGC announced an immediate suspension of all domestic and international football in the country on Friday night, hours after a policeman was killed during serious fighting between Catania and Palermo fans at the Sicilian derby.

"(FIGC commissioner Luca) Pancalli called me and I was in total agreement (with the suspension), but I wanted my proposal taken seriously that soccer should stop for a year in order to reflect on the evils that exist," Campana said.

The FIGC have given no indication as to how long the suspension might remain in place.

This weekend's domestic matches have been postponed, and the international friendly against Romania on Wednesday - as well as Tuesday's Under-21 fixture against Belgium - have been cancelled.

Prior to kick-off a minute's silence had been held following the death of a club official from lower league club Sammartinese at a game last weekend.

And Campana believes Italy should follow England's lead in stamping out the problems in the country.

He added: "A one-day postponement is not enough. There have been two deaths in a week in Italian football.

"We must reflect. We can not accept episodes of violence every single weekend just because someone plays badly. I've been in football many years, but I've never experienced such a tragic week.

"If in England they've managed to beat every type of violence, I see no reason why we can't do the same. In England you see teams that have been relegated and applauded by their fans, here our players are hit because they lose one game.

"The culture must change. This time we can not allow it to go on. It's time to reflect, we can not lose life for absurd reasons."

Senior figures in the FIGC are set to meet the nation's minister of sport, Giovanna Melandri, to discuss the situation.
112-1077774096

Postby NorfolkRed » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:36 pm

with 3 italian teams in the next phase of the champions league what will that mean for the next round of games in a few weeks time if italian football is still suspended?

will they really give 3 teams byes to the next round or will they have to come up with something else for the sake of the competition?
NorfolkRed

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:40 pm

I doubt this ban will last a year, i also doubt fifa will do much about it. The rest of the season will probably be played behind closed doors allowing no supporters at all. This will cripple many of the italian clubs and many of the players will leave for spain or england.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TheRedNev » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:19 am

I'm surprised it wasn't you lot who knocked him off, tbfh:(
all mancs are scum
TheRedNev
LFC Basic Member

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion