Mcclarens first eleven - Whos in and whos out?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:01 pm

So what are you saying?

That a manager shouldnet have an idea of his best team and best tactics?

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:02 pm

Lionheart wrote:Happy to talk and discuss this with you but if you want to just start name calling we'll finish it here. Your choice. ???

Dont twist my words and try and make out that I was trying to say something that I clearly wasnt.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:11 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:So what are you saying?

That a manager shouldnet have an idea of his best team and best tactics?

He MUST have an idea but he has to know the best position for any given player and he sometimes has to make the decision to leave a player on the bench. That shouldn't be a slap in the face for the benched player but when egos are out of control confidence is undermined and suspicion sets in.

There is no point saying (IMO) : 

Robinson

G.Nevile Ferdinand Terry A.Cole

Gerrard Carrick Lampard J.Cole

Rooney Owen

This is my team, because you don't know who your opposition is and frankly I would question the motivation of a good 50% of that squad you have named.

I'm not trying to twist your words...you stated
the key for England is to get the best out of their most important players
. To me that means you are going to pick you 'important' players and then get the best out of them. I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. :)
Last edited by Lionheart on Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:14 pm

Important means the players that are most likely to help you get the result you want, clear as day.
Last edited by Cool Hand Luke on Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:15 pm

I'm not explaining this well enough without writing a book. :D

It's probably best that we agree to disagree. Fair enough?? :;):

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby weringo » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:15 pm

Lionheart wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote:
Lionheart wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote:Got to be 4-4-2, a sacrfice has to made somewhere. Presuming Campbell doesnt get back to his previous level:

Robinson

G.Nevile Ferdinand Terry A.Cole

Gerrard Carrick Lampard J.Cole

Rooney Owen

Don't you set your formation based on your opposition. Will 4-4-2 suit every opposition England plays?? Perhaps not...

:lookaround

But no other system fits England, thats more important, England havent the right players to play a 4-5-1 or any system with only 1 striker, the key for England is to get the best out of their most important players, and sometimes that means making sacrfices.

Ahhh, so you're going to select important players rather than players who could do a job for you??

Look, which player set the English fans alight at this tournament?? Predominantly Lennon right??

Why??

Because he worked hard, wasn't crippled by an ego and didn't ecpect to do anything other than what was asked of him...essentially he was a TEAM player.

Sven goes on about Rooney being England's saviour. I say this is bullsh.it!!! I probably wouldn't pick Rooney to play for England again unless he pulled his ego into order and gave a cast iron gaurantee to play for England rather than play for Rooney Utd.

Not pick Rooney?!!! Who the hell are we going to play then, Crouch? He is definately not international class and never will be. Im sure your just basing this judgement of Rooney on this World Cup, Remember he only started 3 games? Do you expect him to dribble around 4 players and score when his match sharpness is only 70-80%? its not going to happen.
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:16 pm

Dont worry, as long as the player has "HEART", and "GIVES IT HIS ALL", that is good enough apprently.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:20 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Dont worry, as long as the player has "HEART", and "GIVES IT HIS ALL", that is good enough apprently.

No that's only half of it but it's a VERY important part of it. Not too many of England's players played with too much heart and certainly very little conviction.

Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:47 pm

I don't think it's the right time now,or even possible to select the England XI for the MacLaren reign.  But it's certainly the time to decide which things need tried, which players need binned and which players deserve a chance.

For me,

Things to try:

Carra-Terry defensive partnership
Someone other than Beckham on the set pieces
Gerrard on the right
Joe Cole in a more central role

Players to be binned or at least made as back-up rather than automatic starters:

Beckham, Lampard, Ferdinand.  Never select Jenas again, or Bridge for that matter.

Players that should get a chance/ more of a chance:

Ashton, Parker, Wright-Phillips, Downing, Pennant, Bent, Defoe, Lennon.  Not saying all of these guys are the answer, but one or two might surprise you.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby clik » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:01 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:
clik wrote:yes and he does it wonderfully well BUT if xabi and momo are missin we are left short of cover all our midfielders are attackin minded are you sayin we dont need cover or that you dont rate Hargreaves.

if in the worse case scenario, Gerrard, Alonso and Sissoko are injured, then Zenden or a youngster could fill in. The chances of having all our central midfielders injured at the same time are remote, so i doubt we will sign another.

Also i dont really rate Hargreaves, he is a decent player who can fill in several positions but never really excels in any. I doubt u rated Hargreaves before yesterday either.

to be fair i never really had an opinion on him as i hadn't seen him much but he did impress me at world cup however you are right he would cost too much for a squad player but i still think Rafa will bring someone in maybe in jan
Dreams do come true......Istanbul 2005
clik

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:47 pm

john craig wrote:I don't think it's the right time now,or even possible to select the England XI for the MacLaren reign.  But it's certainly the time to decide which things need tried, which players need binned and which players deserve a chance.

For me,

Things to try:

Carra-Terry defensive partnership
Someone other than Beckham on the set pieces
Gerrard on the right
Joe Cole in a more central role

Players to be binned or at least made as back-up rather than automatic starters:

Beckham, Lampard, Ferdinand.  Never select Jenas again, or Bridge for that matter.

Players that should get a chance/ more of a chance:

Ashton, Parker, Wright-Phillips, Downing, Pennant, Bent, Defoe, Lennon.  Not saying all of these guys are the answer, but one or two might surprise you.

You want to bin Rio Ferdinand, he was arguably England’s best player in the World Cup. Terry and Ferdinand done excellently, no need to mess with that.

I say we bin the 1 up top system, go back to a 4-4-2 of some sort. When fit the strike partnership picks itself, Owen and Rooney. So does the goalkeeper and full backs. The centre back situation is fine, Ferdinand and Terry are an excellent partnership.

The biggest problem is the balance in the midfield. J.Cole and Beckham both come inside so there is no width from midfield, if we are to use the full backs for width then we need a genuine anchor man. Gerrard needs to be given a role that allows him to drive at players with the ball.

Somewhere in that midfield a sacrifice will have to me made, that is the biggest issue, a balance in midfield is the biggest thing England is missing.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:11 pm

I was one of the haters of Hargraves but in this world cup he has really shined and atleast 2 games he has been my man of the match.

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:26 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:You want to bin Rio Ferdinand, he was arguably England’s best player in the World Cup. Terry and Ferdinand done excellently, no need to mess with that.

You and I were watching different world cups then.  The Sweden game Ferdinand was an absolute clown and in the Ecuador game Terry was exremely fortunate not to give away a goal.  Neither had a good world cup, but will get praise for their solid backs-to-the-wall performance with 10 men against Portugal, because that's all some people will focus on.  Overall they were far from solid looking to me.  I would certainly play Carragher or a fit Ledley King ahead of Ferdinand.  Maybe even Campbell if he can get back to the level he was at a few seasons back.

England's best performers were Joe Cole, Gerrard and Ashley Cole in that order.  No one else was very good and even those 3 weren't playing at their absolute best.  Maybe Hargreaves who had 2 good games against Ecuador and Portugal.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:17 am

The thing that amazes me is the acceptance of Rooney's behaviour. Granted, when firing Rooney is formidable and would ordinarily be one of the first selected, but when the ego (undisciplined behavior) is overiding team commitment, he is a nuisance and a liability to himself, his team and his country.

One only needs to look at his body language during the Portugal match. To begin with he is full of running and focussed but as time goes on and things don't drop into place the way he would like, the head goes down, he's walking, swearing, kicking the ground and lashing out at everyone around him (including his own team mates).  This then makes him a legitimate target for his opponents tactics...they will target him to get him riled and probably sent off. It worked too.

Lampard is similar, he looked like a zombie during the Portugal match. Gerrard just looked done in (he hasn't had a rest for over 12 months if I'm not mistaken).

Crouch, Lennon & Hargreaves were the pick of a poor bunch. They tried hard all match and didn't give up. The backline were business as usual but looked as though they were going through the motions.

Sven?? I don't think the guy ever came to grip with knowing how to run this team. In fact I don't think he knew what the strengths were for each individual. He selected a team that looked good on paper and should have performed, but didn't...and he didn't know how to fix it.

I anticipate that McLaren will get to know the players and he will make a reasonable 'caretaker' manager but unless England become unbeatable, he will be replaced for either Euro 2008 or World Cup 2010.

End of... 

:D

Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:40 pm

clik wrote:few months we play again in August babu

maybe we wont....

From SSN

Fifa have suspended European champions Greece from all international competition with immediate effect.

Fifa's emergency committee has ruled that the Hellenic Football Federation is not in line with the principles of their statutes, with regards to their independence and ability to make independent decisions.

The Greek authorities have now missed the deadline to provide a law change that would enable the HFF to work in line with Fifa's rules.

The decision now means that Greece's proposed friendly with England on August 16 at Old Trafford - Steve McClaren's first game in charge of The Three Lions - is in doubt.

Fifa confirmed their action in a statement: "In September 2005, the executive committee gave the HFF a deadline of July 15, 2006, to obtain from the Greek government an amendment to the national law on sports in order to enable the association to be in conformity with the Fifa statutes and the relevant Uefa regulations.

"In spite of repeated warnings from both Fifa and Uefa, the commitment expressed by Greek government representatives to amend the law on sport to irrevocably recognise that football matters can only be decided by the HFF and its subordinated football structures has not been respected.

"In fact, the recently-presented draft of a new law on professional leagues constitutes another example of interference from the government in football affairs.

"Therefore, the emergency committee has determined that the deadline would not be met by the HFF and that the suspension of this federation was necessary."
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion