Eriksson's worry over rooney rage

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:31 am

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson says he will talk to Manchester United's Wayne Rooney about his temperament ahead of the friendly against Holland.
Eriksson had to take Rooney off during England's last match in Spain and the 19-year-old was lucky not to be sent off in the league at Arsenal last week.

"I may speak to Wayne about it but you cannot take away his temperament, it's why he's so good," said Eriksson.

"Even in practice, he hates to lose. But I might talk to him a little bit."

Eriksson is desperate not to interfere with Rooney's game with the teenager in great form for United and he admitted he still is not sure of the former Everton striker's best position.

Eriksson added: "Wayne Rooney is one of the biggest talents we have in this country and I want him to be protected. Of course, I do not want him to have a red card.

"I really do not know where Wayne's best position is. He is extremely good everywhere he plays.

"I am talking about on the right, on the left, as the only striker, as the second striker and, as we play him, as the offensive midfielder in the diamond.

"He does a great job there as well. But give him the ball and he will do the business wherever he is operating from."

BBC
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:52 pm

Critics round on Eriksson tactics 

It's amazing what you can see through Sven's specs - I must get a pair

Gary Lineker
Report: England 0-0 Holland 
BBC pundit Alan Hansen led the criticism of Sven-Goran Eriksson's tactics and substitutions in England's 0-0 friendly draw with Holland.
"I defy anybody to learn anything from that match. It was very bad - a night to forget for England," he said.

"And the use of substitutes was scary - Andrew Johnson was hung out to dry.

"He has been prolific through the middle with Crystal Palace, absolutely brilliant, but wide right is not his position. It was crazy."

Eriksson opted for a 4-3-3 formation and stuck with it when Johnson came on, instead of reverting to 4-4-2.

He also bowed to the clamour of playing Shaun Wright-Phillips, but after 10 minutes on the right the diminutive Manchester City flyer moved across to the left.

Eriksson has once again shown he has little idea of how to build a team

From SJR
Have your say on 606 
"It was crying out for Wright-Phillips on the right, Stewart Downing on the left, take Michael Owen off and play Johnson through the middle, with Wayne Rooney just off him," Hansen added.

His views were echoed by a host of other BBC pundits, including fellow Match of the Day guest Jamie Redknapp.

"There were so many square pegs in round holes. I can't see how they will play that in a competitive match," the former international midfielder said.

"Perhaps he has looked at Chelsea this season. They've played a 4-3-3 and they've ripped up the Premiership so maybe he thought it might work.

"But they've got Damien Duff playing one side and Arjen Robben on the other, two players with genuine pace. We didn't have the personnel to make it work with Downing on the bench."

Terry Butcher joined the widespread criticism of Eriksson's tactics and was left bemused by Rooney's peripheral role.

The question someone should put to Sven is who he's going to play - Beckham or Wright-Phillips?

Terry Butcher
England player ratings 
"The system didn't work well and was concocted to accommodate Beckham and Wright-Phillips," Butcher told BBC Radio Five Live.

"But all the time, Rooney, our best attacker and our best forward threat was out on the wings. It was imbalanced.

"Rooney looked ill at ease. He's England's principal striker and should not be playing wide. You have to utilise your strengths.

"England are better suited to a 4-3-1-2, with Rooney playing behind two strikers - you've got to let him have his head and have a bit of a free role."

Former England manager Graham Taylor was left "disappointed", although he understood Eriksson's experimentation.

"When things don't go right in a friendly you run the risk of wondering what the value is. If there is a value it is that sometimes it shows you what you cannot do," he said.

"The manager will have taken something out of it - even it's to say to himself 'No, I don't think we should go that way'.

"I thought England would handle the formation a little better than they did, but it didn't work.

He was okay - he was very happy to be picked and play his first game

Eriksson on Andy Johnson
Match reaction 
"There are ways that you can play 4-3-3 but with England there's not much time to get the players to understand it and it didn't look as if they understood it.

"But what really surprised me was the almost random way players went into any part of the field.

"You have to be very, very good players in a very well-organised side and you have to maintain far more possession of the ball if you're going to let your players go anywhere.

"Against a sharper Dutch side, with more of a cutting edge up front, England would have suffered because their team was so out of shape when they lost the ball.

"The selection of players is equally important. Johnson on his debut on the right is difficult and I felt sorry for him."
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 84-1106852058 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:36 pm

I couldnt belive Erricksons actions or comments last night.The whole country was crying out for Wright Phillips to be given a chance.After 45 mins he was dragged off, granted he wasnt having the best of games but whats that done to his confidence now.
    Andy Johnson must be gutted this morning instead of being immensley proud of his first cap,a cap he has deserved he must feel let down by the manager.To put a centre forward on the wing for the sake of a system that wasnt working pathetic.What must the rest of the England coaching staff think, or are they all yes men like Phil Neal  was with Taylor.
Errickson said after the game Johnson is a good player thats why he was on the pitch,its a good job he wasnt in charge in the seventies  or we would have had Ray Clemence in goal one game and on the wing the following game. :(
84-1106852058

Postby dawson99 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:43 pm

wed sack erikson in a minute if we could afford too. i cant wait for big sam to take over and bring some pride back to the national team. saddest thing is that as the team gets betetr, his tactics get worse!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:04 pm

Eriksson's problem is he's trying to find a system to suit the players instead of the other way around. Beckham should be benched, simple as and Wright-Phillips should be given a chance
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:13 pm

Beckham can still do it when it counts tho. eriksons problem is he has no passion for the game anymore, hes just counting his money
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:19 pm

BUt on current form SWP is a better option than Beckham, maybe it'll give him a kick up the @rse if he's dropped.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:30 pm

it is agreed, but on finishing terms and composure.. dont worry bout it
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion