Chelsea snubbed by europe's power brokers - Elite club they are not!

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby azriahmad » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:28 pm

People, here is an interesting peice of news. It is not really earth shattering but it shows where Chelsea is on the European map of elite clubs:

Chelsea snubbed by Europe's power brokers

Paul Kelso at Soccerex in Dubai
Tuesday November 15, 2005
The Guardian

If Peter Kenyon is to make Chelsea the biggest brand in world football he will have to do it without the help of the most powerful alliance in the European club game. Despite being the richest club in the world and reaching the last two Champions League semi-finals, Chelsea's attempts to enter the influential G14 group of leading European clubs have been blocked.
The G14's statutes require a unanimous agreement on the admission of a new member, and several clubs, including Arsenal, have blocked their entry in the past. G14 chief executive Thomas Kurth has indicated that some have reservations about Roman Abramovich's influence, and despite their recent success Chelsea's admission has not even been discussed this year.

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speaking at the Soccerex global football conference in Dubai, Kenyon said Chelsea "had the stature" to enter G14, but would not be drawn on why Chelsea had been snubbed. "You would have to ask the other clubs why we're not in," he said.
The G14 issue is relevant in the club v country debate that surfaced at Soccerex yesterday when representatives of four of the world's leading clubs - Barcelona, Galatasaray, Kaiser Chiefs as well as Chelsea - indicated that they would welcome compensation for releasing players for "meaningless" international friendlies.

The G14 are currently in dispute with Fifa over the issue and met yesterday to discuss their role in a test case brought by Belgian club Charleroi in the European courts. Intriguingly Arsenal's vice-chairman David Dein flew out of Dubai on Sunday to attend the G14 summit in Milan, thus avoiding Kenyon and withdrawing from an appearance scheduled for today.

Despite being outside the G14 cartel, Kenyon will continue to push Chelsea's interests in other forums including the top 100 European clubs group. A Fifa source indicated he may also be invited to join a world clubs task force, which looks at issues including compensation and the international calendar.

Some history of the G14 clubs:
"In September 2000, fourteen founder clubs created the "G-14 European Football Clubs Grouping", an European Economic Interest Group (EEIG) registered in Brussels, making G-14 the first international club organisation in world football.

They were joined in 2002 by four new members: Arsenal FC, Bayer 04 Leverkusen, Olympique Lyonnais and Valencia CF.

Their aim was simple: to find a constructive way of reforming a system in which their voice was not heard and to establish for the clubs a meaningful executive role in the management of the international game."

Original G14 members are Ajax, Borussia Dortmund, Bayern Munich, Inter, Juve, Liverpool, Manure, Milan, Marseille, PSG, Porto, PSV and Real Madrid.

I'm sure some you here know this but it is a very good feeling to gloat over Chelski, the wannabe "elite"
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:33 pm

I don't like the UEFA, but this G14 thingy just pretends to get the money that now gets the UEFA, so I don't like'em neither (1). Who the f*ck is Valencia to pretend to be one of the G14 of Europe for starters? they've known the second division in the eighities, not that far. Pah.

I'm really worried about the future of football, UEFA is certainly not good, but I would not be happy with some sort of Football NBA as they pretend to do.

Snubbing Chel$ki is right, though, I guess that they do not want to share their cake with another partner.

Sabre

(1) Except L'pool that is
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:25 pm

Chelsea doesnt deserve to be in their.  Whats this rubbish about 'chelsea having the stature' ???
They have won 2 (or is it 3?) league titles in 100 years!! :laugh:
Yep no doubt about it one of the greatest :p
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby greenred » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:30 pm

So there`s eighteen teams in the G14 ???
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 84-1106852058 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:54 pm

Its nice to see Chelsea cant buy there way in.
84-1106852058

Postby mighty mo » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:22 pm

arsenal seem to have a lot of leverage when it comes too important football issues,should they be in this elite group of footballing giants,they somehow for the last few years get to be seeded  "top eight european teams " with there shocking absurd champions league record of the last 8 years,just llok at there easy task of a group this year,david dein to me personally is a very powerful man in football circles and this helps arsenal in many ways.also in the list of g14 why are barcelona not in it?
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:45 pm

But mates, I'd love to read your thoughts about the whole idea of the Gwhatever, do you find necessary to give a punch on the table and get rid of the UEFA?

While I have a very poor opinion of UEFA, I do think that I wouldn't like the idea of continental competition in which the right to compete there is earned because you are of the Gsomething, and not in the local leagues.

I don't know if you agree or not, please comment when you have some time.

Sabre
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:00 pm

:glare: as with all 'new money' types.. they have no 'class' at all  :talktothehand
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:31 pm

Obviously there are now 18 teams, but originally G14 was made up of the biggest 14 teams from Europe, namely AJAX BORUSSIA DORTMUND BAYERN MUNICH BARCELONA INTERNATZIONALE JUVENTUS LIVERPOOL MANCHESTER UNITED AC MILAN MARSEILLE P S G PORTO P S V and the inimitable REAL MADRID all of whom felt that thier best intrests where not at the heart of UEFA and FIFA's plans.

G-14 represents the collective views and policies of eighteen of the most significant contributors to the quality and success of European club competitions. G-14 clubs also supply many national teams with their most significant players.

This gives G-14 a legitimate and powerful voice on the issues facing the development of international club football.

Since its creation, G-14 has worked on many issues and achieved major progress in a number of areas.

The website is well worth a butchers.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:43 pm

Since its creation, G-14 has worked on many issues and achieved major progress in a number of areas.

such as... having good dinners? planning to make more profit? :)

Sabre
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:47 pm

For all their money i figure Chelsea stand little chance of breaking into G14 because they will struggle to get a unanimous vote. Can't see the likes of Arsenal or Barca giving it the go ahead.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:02 pm

Yes, Sabre/Scotty it seems money cant buy you lunch

GROAN

Ill get my coat.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:46 pm

la coste tracky top?
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:51 pm

Just goes to show more money than sense.

Didn't chelski realise that ifthey wanted to get into the G14 they'd need a unanimous vote and they ain't gonna get that the way they keep going out of their way to piss most of the big european clubs off.

Complete knob'eads.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby skipper » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:42 am

Scottbot wrote:For all their money i figure Chelsea stand little chance of breaking into G14 because they will struggle to get a unanimous vote. Can't see the likes of Arsenal or Barca giving it the go ahead.

True.  No way is Chelsea going to receive unanimous votes.
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion