Who would you keep if forced to? - Morientes or cisse

Fernando Morientes
13%
Djibril Cisse
88%

Total votes : 16

Postby Bad Bob » Sun May 07, 2006 10:17 pm

Right, imagine this scenario:

Rafa, in a fit of insanity, calls you up in the middle of the night asking for advice.  He's got Robbie and Crouchy secured for next season and he's got his sights set on a world class 25+ goals a season striker to come in over the summer.  The board, however, has told him that the money's tight and he can only afford to bring in that one new forward.  As such, he'll have to keep either Nando or Cisse for another season.  Both have disappointed this season and yet both probably have some market value abroad.

Given this situation, who would you advise Rafa to keep and why?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun May 07, 2006 10:43 pm

If I had to, I'd keep Cisse because he does score against the smaller teams which means he'd be useful for squad rotation. Can also play on the right and he may one day prove his worth (though I doubt it).
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun May 07, 2006 10:47 pm

I'd keep Morientes instead. Given the situation the player should have discipline and should not complain about not being in the starting eleven, and it's a known fact Cisse complained about that.

Plus, the goal of last week, showed the Mori I know, good finisher, even with his bad leg.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon May 08, 2006 4:53 am

Sorry Sabre...

At the moment, I'd be inclined to keep Cisse if we had to keep one.  Yes, he's got attitude problems sometimes and yes his decision-making can be poor but he can score a few goals against weaker sides and open things up for others (like we saw yesterday).

The trouble with Nando for me is that he and Robbie play a similar game except Robbie's doing it better at the moment (and has the new contract to show for it).  Cisse at leasts offers a different dimension.

Moreover, I think we could still get a decent return on Nando--there are surely several clubs in La Liga who would like to bring him back to Spain?  As such, I think it is definitely time for Nando to move on.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby laza » Mon May 08, 2006 4:56 am

I keep  Morientes who if we do get a super 25+ striker in is more likely to provide a better partnership with him.
Cisse just doesnt cut the mustard for me with his attitude and his oversized price tag. He also would probably get us more on the transfer market then what Nando would which would help finance  that so called silver bullet striker that everyone is thinking will complete the jigsaw
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon May 08, 2006 8:03 am

none of the above.

bad bob, i see you won jmacs comp on who gets the fowler banner, nice one mate :)
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon May 08, 2006 8:50 am

cisse has 3 in 3... and isnt he our teams top scorer?
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby -Rafa- » Mon May 08, 2006 11:54 am

I would keep Cisse, He's the only striker in the team that has pace, could you imagaine Crouch---Mori ???

Our strike force would be very slow without Cisse
-Rafa-

Postby Bad Bob » Tue May 09, 2006 12:14 am

Judge wrote:none of the above.

bad bob, i see you won jmacs comp on who gets the fowler banner, nice one mate :)

Yep, it's a beauty ain't it!  Cheers mate... :cool:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Tue May 09, 2006 12:26 am

Moreover, I think we could still get a decent return on Nando--there are surely several clubs in La Liga who would like to bring him back to Spain?  As such, I think it is definitely time for Nando to move on.

You don't have to be sorry for disagreeing me ! :) I understand your point.

Yes, there would be many Spanish clubs below the first two main ones that would sign him up. Atletico madrid seems to have signed their forwards for next year already, but there are other classics, such as Sevilla, Betis, Valencia, Celta, and specially Deportivo de la Coruña (who has a dissapointing Tristan leaving) that would probably sign him up. Although being a classic, and although we've recently opened our team to Spanish players (long story, until Aldo came here, we played with  eleven home made players), I think his wages are too high for Real Sociedad.

I understand you're dissapointed to be honest, but  in Spain nobody is granted the respect for free (unless you're Raul, that's to say) and Moro has managed to go to germany alongside Torres, Villa and Raul, which speaks well both of his reputation and the reputation of the club he's playing for.

I don't know what are Rafa's plans, but he probably has the same idea of Moro that have most Spaniards. He does a decent team work too, I think that's a player who always wins the favour of his coaches. I do know (well it's a rumour of one of Aiestaran's close friends) that the technical staff can't stand Cisse, anyway football is a matter of opinions.

My trust on him is actually based on what I saw on him, not nationality (I agreed wholeheartedly to offload Josemi and Nuñez) but I understand  Liverpool is a high club and there's not time for players who don't give inmediate good scoring tallies. I'm a bit stubborn with him because he impressed me too many seasons, and I don't think he's that old yet. It's a bit difficult to me to change my mind in two years (in which there have been some injuries).

Anyway, you don't have to be sorry. The better players we have, the better. And if they come from the academy, even better (I'm a bit biased supporter, I like players from the youth system making it into the first team).
Last edited by Sabre on Tue May 09, 2006 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue May 09, 2006 1:38 am

Sabre wrote:

You don't have to be sorry for disagreeing me ! :) I understand your point.

Yes, there would be many Spanish clubs below the first two main ones that would sign him up. Atletico madrid seems to have signed their forwards for next year already, but there are other classics, such as Sevilla, Betis, Valencia, Celta, and specially Deportivo de la Coruña (who has a dissapointing Tristan leaving) that would probably sign him up. Although being a classic, and although we've recently opened our team to Spanish players (long story, until Aldo came here, we played with  eleven home made players), I think his wages are too high for Real Sociedad.

I understand you're dissapointed to be honest, but  in Spain nobody is granted the respect for free (unless you're Raul, that's to say) and Moro has managed to go to germany alongside Torres, Villa and Raul, which speaks well both of his reputation and the reputation of the club he's playing for.

I don't know what are Rafa's plans, but he probably has the same idea of Moro that have most Spaniards. He does a decent team work too, I think that's a player who always wins the favour of his coaches. I do know (well it's a rumour of one of Aiestaran's close friends) that the technical staff can't stand Cisse, anyway football is a matter of opinions.

My trust on him is actually based on what I saw on him, not nationality (I agreed wholeheartedly to offload Josemi and Nuñez) but I understand  Liverpool is a high club and there's not time for players who don't give inmediate good scoring tallies. I'm a bit stubborn with him because he impressed me too many seasons, and I don't think he's that old yet. It's a bit difficult to me to change my mind in two years (in which there have been some injuries).

Anyway, you don't have to be sorry. The better players we have, the better. And if they come from the academy, even better (I'm a bit biased supporter, I like players from the youth system making it into the first team).

You know, I totally see what your saying Sabre and on a gut level I agree... 

Cisse bothers me quite a bit with his pendulum swings from showboating to whinging.  He's never a player I'm going to love because I prefer the hardworking types who just get on with it.

On that score, I have a lot of respect for Nando.  I can see he's trying hard and that he wants to help the team and he just seems like a generally top-class guy. 

Putting my gut feelings aside and being hard-headed about this, though, I think that, for whatever reason it's just not working for him.  Perhaps it's all down to confidence or perhaps he's just not suited to the English game (as Big Mick has argued)...who knows?  Maybe, he needs more time...although I think he's had plenty of time to settle.  Rafa will have his own opinions on that.

But, if it were up to me at this moment, being asked to choose between the two based on what they offer the team: I hate to say I'd have to stick with Cisse.  He's way too raw, but he still offers something none of our current strikers do--pace...at least till we bring in someone with comparable pace AND all of the other attributes that so many of us feel Cisse lacks. 

The reason I'm apologizing so much, mate, is because I rate Nando and would have liked things to work out for him here.  It just may be too late and perhaps it would be better for all concerned if he returned to Spain and refound his form with one of the clubs you mentioned.  If he did, I for one, would be delighted for him.  Actually, it would be fantastic to see him have a blinder of a World Cup for Spain--that would put a smile on my face!   :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue May 09, 2006 2:12 am

dawson99 wrote:cisse has 3 in 3... and isnt he our teams top scorer?

No mate, Gerrard is.

Cisse has 17, Stevie, 21.

In answer to Bad Bob's question, I'd keep Cisse.

As he said, Fowler is doing Mori's job better than the Spaniard, and so it is better to have a pacey option.

Aside from anything else, he DOES score an awful lot of goals to say he is in and out of the team. If his attitude were right, and he worked overtime on his first touch, he'd be a hell of a player.
A goal machine.

However, I would be quite happy to see the back of the pair of them, unless Djibril DOES sort his head out and knuckle down.

As far as Mori is concerned, he just isn't the player we thought we'd signed. I honestly would not be overly suprised if in the FA Cup final, Fernando was unzipped and Lester Piggott climbed out.

He tries. He was brilliant in France and Spain, but he is NOT good enough when playing in the Premiership.
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Tue May 09, 2006 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 23, 2006 1:16 pm

This question is like asking who i would be supporting if manure played the bluesh#te in the fa cup final.

Normally I'd say Cisse has to go because he's uncoachable. Rafa has had him for a whole year, two pre-seasons and the start and finish of 04-05. And he's still doing the same stupid frustrating things.

Morientes is simply a case of being unable to adjust. In essence he's our Forlan, our Veron but at a fraction of the price. No shame there as we all heralded his signing.

However if someone put a gun to my head i'd probably keep cisse because despite being a garbage footballer, he is a goal threat and he's the only person with pace in the whole squad virtually.
Last edited by stmichael on Tue May 23, 2006 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Judge » Fri May 26, 2006 7:50 am

Sabre wrote:I'd keep Morientes instead. Given the situation the player should have discipline and should not complain about not being in the starting eleven, and it's a known fact Cisse complained about that.

Plus, the goal of last week, showed the Mori I know, good finisher, even with his bad leg.

hehehe sabre.

rafa rang me up two days ago asking for my advice about the above subject in hand, i said do we have to keep any of them, rafa said, you must choose one, so i said get rid of morientes, and low and behold he's gone to valencia  :p

rafa knows good advice when he asks ''the judge''  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Fri May 26, 2006 1:09 pm

judge you actually said none of the above. go back a few posts. at least you could have edited your first  post to match your last comment. :D
Last edited by babu on Fri May 26, 2006 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football Related Polls