Jan Kromkamp
No votes
Mark Gonzales
No votes
Robbie Fowler
5%

Total votes : 43

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu May 04, 2006 7:23 pm

Who has been Rafa's best buy of the season and why? Pepe Reina has kept the most clean sheets in the Premiership this season. Sissoko has added depth, hunger and youth to the middle and freed up Gerrard. Crouch has proved a lot of people wrong leading our lines. Anderson and Agger, although not seen too often so far, are big promises for the future. Kromkamp has replaced the dissapointing Josemi as right sided cover. Mark Gonzales may not technically be in the team, but has impressed spanish critics (Sabre included). And last but by no means least, Robbie "God" Fowler came back and has brought his predatory instincts to our attack.
Last edited by The Ace1983 on Thu May 04, 2006 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Thu May 04, 2006 8:05 pm

1 and a 2 and a 3 Pepe Reina
4 and a 5 and a 6 Pepe Reina
7 and a 8 and a 9 Pepe Reina

HEYYYYY PEPE REINA !!!!!
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu May 04, 2006 8:14 pm

Such a tough question that, mate...we have certainly been spoiled for choice this season!

For me Pepe has just slightly edged out Momo for the buy of the season.  We have been so solid at the back this season that we almost take it for granted.  Pepe's a big part of that equation: he commands his area well, has good communication with the back four, distributes the ball intelligently and let's the back four play a higher line due to his proficient sweeping ability.  Sure, at times he's made a few rash decisions but the lad's mentally tough and has bounced back from the few clangers he's given up quite nicely.  Plus, I like his evident passion for the club and for the game.

I've discussed Momo's qualities elsewhere so all I'll say here is he's been immense for us in the centre of the park.  In fact, he's given Rafa a selection problem in that position, which is saying something when you have Stevie, Xabi and Didi in your side.  Suffice to say that Stevie would not have been given too much opportunity to influence the team from wide right were it not for Momo's play in the centre.

Honourable mentions must go to Robbie and Crouchy as well.  Robbie's done everything asked of him since he's come back and has scored some absolutely vital goals in the run-in...hope to see him in Red again next season.  As for Crouchy, he's had a very solid season, has made us a stronger team going forward and has chipped in with some important goals as well.  I think there's plenty of room for improvement for him next season, though.  But, I don't fancy him "leading our lives," Ace!  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Thu May 04, 2006 9:34 pm

Reina. I don't know what's wrong in england with the keepers, but keepers like Peter Shilton and Seaman had to play at unaturally aged points, due to the lack of good keepers. It's surprising, because when it comes to defenders, there are about 12 english centre backs that could play in the starting eleven of the Spanish squad.

I think he's been the best signing.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Indian » Thu May 04, 2006 9:43 pm

Momo for me.  Reina's been excellent but he's also played behind a very good back four.  As someone else has said, Momo's form has kept Stevie G on the right hand side, that says it all.
Red Indian

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu May 04, 2006 9:58 pm

Pepe Reina has gotta be our buy of the season for me. His sweeping ability and command of his defence and area must have been worth about an extra 6-12 points over last season for us. It's no disrespect to Dudek but i do now feel a lot more comfortable and confident when Pepe's in goal than anybody else.
Momo is a close second; so often players these days are given tags of "The New...." and then turn out to be really poor, but in Momo's case he really is turning out to be the new Vieira. Whether that is doing him a dis-service i don't know :p  but he looks to be a player of real quality and i'm sure he'll be a real bonus for the club in years to come. Lets just hope he isn't struck down with second season syndrome that so many players suffer with over here.
A final word must go to Crouchinho. I admit i was one of those that questioned spending £7m on him last summer given that he'd never really shown much to justify that sort of fee. I know stand corrected as we approach the final league game of the season. He has brought an ability to hold the ball up at the front that we desperately lacked at times last season, especially on the road. He was never brought in to bag 20-30 goals a season but after a slow start he has chipped in with an reasonable 12 goals. I hope that alot of the people who absolutely slated during the early part of the season are now big enough to admit that they were wrong about him and are prepared to eat a slice of humble pie.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri May 05, 2006 2:50 am

It's a draw for me between Pepe and Momo. (I voted Momo, as he's slightly younger).

Both have been literally outstanding, and are the best in the Premiership in their respective roles.

For Momo to adapt so quickly and become the best midfield snapper in the Prem is no mean feat.

For Pepe to take a p*ss all over Cech's dominance, and totally outclass every 'keeper in the land is utterly amazing, tbh. The lad just never looks troubled.
I just hope he doesn't get the second season sh*ts, a la Dudek, Westerveld, etc.
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Fri May 05, 2006 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri May 05, 2006 4:20 am

yeah pepe had a shaky start and made a few mistakes, but this can be put down to getting used to the defence in front of him.

momo has been outstanding an its about time someone lived up to the "he's the new................" tag.

crouch has been staedy and in my opinion has done a good job despite his critics, he deserves to go and play in the world cup for all the effort he has put in and the effort has not been wasted, his performances have always been good.

Anderson, Agger, Kronkamp and Gonzalez I havent seen enough of to pass judgement yet.

Fowler, well what can we say about Fowler. i love the guy, always have and this is based on his performances and my dealings with him on a personal level. I used to be finance manager at a car dealer in liverpool and we used to provide vehicles to the club and the players would come in reguarly. i got to know Robbie by taking him to melwood many times when his car was in for something. he always invited me in an i would sit for a while and watch training, even meeting robbie williams there one day. i remember when the new audi a4 came out and i had one, i was takin robbie to melwood and he asked if he could drive as he hadnt driven one before. i let him drive and his comment will stick with me forever. "i wish i had your job cos you get to drive loads of different cars". i just looked at him and laughed and told him i would happily swap.  at the time i was seeing an irish bird whos nephew was a fan and i asked robbie to get a few autographs at melwood for me, he went into the changing room and came back with the autographs. i went back to the dealer and a few hours later robbie turned up with his poster which he had put the lads name on and autographed, he didnt have to remember or do that but he did. he is a legend on and off the pitch. compare him to phil babb who was a pr1ck and thought he was special.

Robbie is a god.
Last edited by 112-1077774096 on Fri May 05, 2006 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
112-1077774096

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri May 05, 2006 2:35 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:It's a draw for me between Pepe and Momo. (I voted Momo, as he's slightly younger).

Both have been literally outstanding, and are the best in the Premiership in their respective roles.

For Momo to adapt so quickly and become the best midfield snapper in the Prem is no mean feat.

For Pepe to take a p*ss all over Cech's dominance, and totally outclass every 'keeper in the land is utterly amazing, tbh. The lad just never looks troubled.
I just hope he doesn't get the second season sh*ts, a la Dudek, Westerveld, etc.

Can't really add nothing to that Lando.  I was spoilt for choice given the choices between Reina and Sissoko.  I have voted for Sissoko, but not to take anything away from Reina.

It really is a split decision.

I hope this time next year we are talking about Gonzales in the same fashion.  The lad looks a belter from what I've seen.  Scored some important goals for Sociedad.  Rafa just seemingly plucks these kids up from nowhere and makes them stars.
jonnymac1979

Postby stmichael » Fri May 05, 2006 2:40 pm

It was hard to pick between Reina, Sissoko and Crouch as they all perform an important role in the system. Reina allows us to hold a high defensive line further up the pitch, Sissoko allows us to put pressure on the opposition until they run out of options and Crouch allows us to retain and recycle the ball, play football higher up the pitch and takes pressure of the defence. Eventually I went for Reina, merely on the basis that Sissoko missed a part of the season with injury and Crouch's barren spell at the start of the season.

It's no coincidence that with Reina in goal now the defence has improved tenfold. It was good anyway but this season they've had licence to defend higher up the pitch because they know that anything over the top will see Reina out like a flash cleaning up as a sweeper. Under Houllier, the defence was so nervous of Dudek at times that they dropped so deep and virtually ended up on top of him.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 2520years » Fri May 05, 2006 3:20 pm

I voted for Sissoko, but I hated not voting for Pepe.  Maybe I can set myself up with another user id and use that to vote for our No.1!
:D
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby GOAT » Sun May 07, 2006 5:24 pm

ooh that is a VERY tough one, i dont think id be able to pick between momo, reina or fowler. Id probably pick momo though, and Anderson has been a fantastic buy so far, probably the most promising youth player in our team and then thers Gonzalez who looks fantastic and should be amazing for us
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Espionage » Mon May 29, 2006 6:58 am

Momo!!!!!!!!!!!
closely followed by Reina,
closely followed by Alonso.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon May 29, 2006 8:40 am

Espionage wrote:Momo!!!!!!!!!!!
closely followed by Reina,